Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Never Been Summer Skiing? Get a Load of This!

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a few days in Tignes. Unseasonably nippy for late July (daytime temps. between 1C and 10C at resort level) but amazing winter conditions on the glacier (temps as low as minus 5C)Very Happy. It snowed as low as 1800m, with the snow line settling at about 2200m. Here are a few snaps:

Before (Fri 22nd July):

After (Sat 23rd July):

Glacier conditions......

Groomed packed powder - on 25th July!......

And even some fresh tracks......

So good that the crowds were there in droves.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowHead Looks great mountainaddict!! I am out there on Monday for 2 weeks so looking forward to some more of those conditions hopefully
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the snow looks lovely. I was to have been in the alps (though not skiing) at the moment, but plans have changed. The weather has been miserable - cold and wet - so I'm quite glad I'm not there. Though if you're high enough for wet = snow, then that's good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ooh, lovely!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
always fancied it, is that fairly typical or do you just have to roll the dice and have a plan b??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Touchguru The couple we were there with are out there for another two weeks so asked me to keep them updated with weather forecasts.
I checked today on the Chamonix website (as its forecast is very detailed) - warm/hot weather is on its way from Africa. It would seem that normal service is to be resumed, so to speak. Anyway, there's so much snow on the glacier that I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.

pam w
Quote:
The weather has been miserable - cold and wet - so I'm quite glad I'm not there.
We hiked, mountainbiked and skied and had a great time - with only one washout day from five. We just made the best of it and regarded
the amazing glacier snow as compensation - though on the really wet day we had to try hard to convince ourselves that sliding the bikes (unintentionally) sideways down muddy tracks and slippery rocks was good fun! Regardless, it was still better than a day at work wink . Mind the temperatures of 1.5-10C in resort were a bit of a contrast to our visit last summer - when it was 32C in Tignes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Class!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry No, unfortunately that's not typical. We've skied at Tignes the last 5 summers, with conditions varying from usually decent cover in July to bare
glacial ice with minimal snow in August.

The lifts close at 1pm in summer as the snow is usually very soft, if not wet, by then - on a really hot day you can be skiing mush by 10am. Lifts open about 7.15. Typical early morning conditions are frozen/hardpack softening to spring snow and then mush.

This year we were just very lucky with the cold, unseasonal weather. Having said that, even when it's hot and the skiing more limited, it's an amazing experience to be skiing in high summer. Also, temperatures in the mid to high 20s (Celsius!) in resort make for a very pleasant afternoon of hiking, mountain biking or whatever.

By way of a contrast, here is the glacier in the first week of August, 2009. Believe it or not, there was still some decent snow to be found, as shown on the second pic:

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict, fair dinkum. I still fancy it sometime, a morning ski and affie hike/picnic/booze-up Very Happy. One of these summers.

(that glacier looks a bit knackered, no? Sad )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, is that second picture the area to the right of the glacier as you look down it that has a drag on the shoulder of the mountainside that you can;t get to during the winter (hope that made sense) (to the right and above the little hut in the left of the first pic?)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some of these were posted in the main Tignes thread, but for summer ski fans (or those just dreaming about being up a mountain) here's some more photos taken last month on the glacier in Tignes.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, mountainaddict, excuse me while I quietly do this Going green Going green Going green Great pics chaps! we have snow here but glaciers are closed for revision Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kooky wrote:
we have snow here but glaciers are closed for revision Crying or Very sad
Your glaciers have to do exams? That's mean!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, I just love the second pic down - so sweet! wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, that´s been done before ....do keep up wink NehNeh
latest report
Skiing on the local glacier in December is much harder work as you do not have a lift to get to the top. This kind of mitigates the fact that there is a small piste, and limited mileage which can be done. You can only do it two or three times before you are tired out. If you leave before 9am you get the first run in by 11.30 am. I would normally leave before 2pm as it gets dark here early in December.

The glacier section is not the best bit to ski though. There is a south facing expanse on the back of the hill, which gets a fantastic hard icy surface covered with powdery snow. It is however more difficult to climb back up that section. (there is no path which walkers pack the snow down)

On balance, I think I would probably go to Xscape in Glasgow rather than Tignes in the summer. More reliable snow!

rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

is that second picture the area to the right of the glacier as you look down it that has a drag on the shoulder of the mountainside that you can't get to during the winter
Yes! That's the one!

barry Although the glacier did look knackered when we got out out of the funicular, we had a surprisingly decent ski that day! Mind we are easily pleased when it comes to skiing Smile - still better than an indoor fridge Bigtipper!!
ski holidays
Bigtipper: Also meant to say.......Skiing on the local glacier?.....Mentions of Glasgow Xscape? Is the said local glacier one that I don't know about
in Scotland Puzzled
latest report
mountainaddict, I have never been to the indoor fridge, maybe someday!

rolling eyes
latest report
Barry - don't forget the white water rafting (from Bourg St M) as an afternoon sport - excellent fun - though it does delay the drinking by an hour or 2. Whilst we are talking about drinking the Tignes Wine Festival (in the teens of August each year) is possibly the best time to combine my 2 favourite hobbies!
snow conditions
mountainaddict, thanks for that, often wondered what it's like up there, lot bigger sector than I thought
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
though it does delay the drinking by an hour or 2.

That's what camelbacks are for, no? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Barry - Yes but I do find the lime slices in the Bombay Sapphire and Schweppes get stuck in the tube. (Realising I have now triggered a new debate "The appropriate type of citrus for a G&T!")
snow report
chocksaway, surely you mean lime wedges dear boy. I do like the sound of the Wine Festival, could be the hook I need to convince mrs barry
latest report
Barry - I stand corrected - I have just checked Debrett's and you are indeed correct. I also didn't know the official way to mix a mojito was 'to muddle the mint and sugar' in a highball. To more practical matters the Fetes du Vin is 11-15 August this year with a spiffy fireworks display around the lake on the 15th (I suspect this is where about 50% of my Taxe D'Habitation goes!) wink
snow report
UNBELIEVABLE!

the fresh to the left of this pic is untouched, and I can't see any piste poles on the left so presumably still a marked piste Wink

latest report
Quote:

the fresh to the left of this pic is untouched, and I can't see any piste poles on the left so presumably still a marked piste
No, that bit was off piste. The piste poles and rope ended slightly higher up for some reason. We did try it (with warnings of glacial
crevasse danger uppermost in our minds Skullie we don't like to stray too far from the piste on glaciers) - to find that it wasn't as deep as it looked - probably only a couple of inches. We still got some fresh tracks though! Smile

The reason that the groomed bit (or off piste) was hardly touched was that it was a narrow strip to the (skier's) left of an area being used for race training.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevew Cheers! There's 600m of vertical available at Tignes at present. We skied in late July one year when an even lower chairlift
was open for even more vertical than that.

It's stated as about 20km of piste each summer - though it feels quite extensive when you're there.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, the Vanoise chairlift was open when we where there in June. You could ski from the top of the Grand Motte to the bottom of the Vanoise - that's a lot of vertical for summer skiing.
snow conditions
Tignes looks in reasonable shape.

How did Val's glacier fare this Summer?
snow conditions
Whitegold, I haven't been up close but I was looking at Val's glacier today and it doesn't look in great condition looking at it from Grand Motte.

Tignes Update

Conditions in the morning on Grand Motte are fairly good before 10am but then things go a bit pear shaped with slush forming on a lot of the areas below the park and rivulets and puddles lying about halfway down Champagny.
Rosolin doesn't look fantastic but I haven't been on there beside the first run on the week.
Skied most of the day on Champagny today and we were the only gates on there with most setting on Stade round 3500 due to the Champagny poma being slow to open this morning.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy