Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old video clips of Glencoe / White corries ski centre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hows it going everybody - never been on this www site before.....
Blush
I am currently editing together a short film for entry into the various UK amateur mountain film festivals (Edinburgh, Fort William, Kendal, Dundee and Edinburgh).

2006 will be the 50th anniversary of Scotlands first (permanent /overhead) ski tow. This tow was first operated in the main basin at Glencoe 1956. To mark this occasion myself and some other "haggis trap heids" are editing together a film. This will include footage from the last 2 winters, and also some historical stuff.

Have been searching the scottish film archieves, and managed to find some pretty cool old clips of Meall A Bhuiridh (the oldest of which is 1939 - long before the tow was built!). Should be a cool wee film once its finished, and also a good advert for Scottish snow sports.

If anyone out there has access to footage of skiing at Glencoe (from any era) then I would be really interested to hear from you.

Cheers /Much appreciated. Laughing

Doug. - douglas@wolfsonmicro.com
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scottish Ski Bum, welcome to snowHeads. We have some resident experts on Scottish skiing (scraping?) on this site, I'm sure that they will be happy to help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scottish Ski Bum, I'm sure you're onto this already but Pathe News have stuff that you need, including 1960-1 footage of Scotland's first chairlift at Glencoe. I think they have fairly flexible terms regarding release of copyright, as some of their major archival activities have been Lottery-funded.

Not sure when Warren Miller and Dick Barrymore first included Scottish skiing in their movies, but they might have some stuff on Glencoe which would also be cinema quality.

Good luck and good fortune with the film - it's really great that you're putting this together.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David, what are the odds that we'll see you in some of the shots?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the help and enthusiasm everybody. Yip - British Pathe is a great www site. Some good shots of glencoe (and also Cairngorms) on there.

Slowly getting some film together from various eras - have located film from 1939, 1957, 1961, 1979, 1989 and 2001.

If anyone thinks they might have anything of interest PLEASE get in touch. In particular anything from 1994 when the top t-bar was buried for over 2 months.

Doug.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David, I wouldn't put money on it. I was lucky enough to be in Kitzbuhel in '59, and Graechen (lovely Swiss resort nr. Zermatt) in '61. But you might catch a sight of the famous Frith Finlayson in some of that old Scottish footage - he and his mates built that chairlift with their own bare hands. But a number of them were Clydeside shipbuilders, so I guess it was like Meccano for them!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

anything from 1994 when the top t-bar was buried for over 2 months.

Wish I'd had a camera - I guess a better artist than I could draw it for you! It was certainly quite a spectacle. From memory, the ski patrol hut was even more buried - it was like a bunker in the snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This sounds fantastic - will it be for sale afterwards?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will be maybe for sale if it generates enough interest - First of all need to finish the film first though !

Doug.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Doug, I don't know if you can cut this into the film but a spoof James Bond sequence would be a laugh, given the ownership of Glencoe. Maybe turn the Plateau Chateau into Blofeld's latest base for world domination?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy