Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats norrona ski wear like

Poster: A snowHead
Hi looking to purchase Norrona Lygen shoft shell jacket but before i do was wondering what noorona clothing is like
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very brightly coloured, very lightweight technical shells designed for freeride skiing. Generally a looser fit to allow freedom of movement but not 'baggy'. They have a zip together system allowing pants to be combined with jackets on the inside creating a 'hidden' one-piece ski suit. As with all clothing it should be tried for fit before ordering.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks nice but it's really expensive and a female friend of mine bought a Norrona jacket (sorry don't know which version) that fell apart and she wasn't very impressed with the (lack of) customer service. That put me off and I bought Haglofs instead (which I've been really happy with)

Feedback on this TGR thread seems to be generally positive. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33206

If you want a softshell jacket the Haglofs Couloir is worth a look.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys i didnt know that u can create a one piece suit should be helpful as heading out to fernie to do a season
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are looking at purchasing check out www.tamarackgroup.co.uk, for some reason I would be more inclined to give them my money than Ellis Brigham (for no real reason).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am pretty sure there is a place in Newcastle that has Norrona, not sure of the name but worth checking out..

It could be this place: http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/category.aspx?id=835

But it could be somewhere else!

It's also worth taking a look at what Sweet Protection do, I've been in their gear for a couple of years now and it is awesome, this years line is incredible, the quality and the finishing is better than anything else out there (in my opinion).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chelt881, I looked at the Lygen on the Norrona website and it looks fantastic. Saying that it looks more like a Spring jacket to me - you probably want to check whether its waterproof and how warm it will be in really cold conditions. You may want something a bit more heavy duty if it's going to be your main winter jacket. Enjoy your season!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry I overlooked your mention of the Lyngen range. That seems to be intended as climbing/hiking kit and would probably be insufficient for skiing in Fernie. You only get the stealth one piece in the proper skiwear like the Narvik and Lofoten. I have some Narvik trousers; the logo rubbed off quickly but otherwise quality seems good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife bought a Norrona jacket in Norway at the end of the season last year and she loves it. The plus points are the contrasting zips (think purple against white), the super soft feel fabric which seems reasonably resistant to skiing related assaults and the good wrist and waist protection against snow entrance. My wife doesn't think there are any negative points!

We are not high performance skiers but the product quality seems good. I have a Rossignol tribe jacket (from our friends at TKM) and the Norrona jacket seems better quality in terms of fabrics and zip protection.

Not cheap though.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd second the Haglofs recommendation: similarly minimalist Scandinavian styling and superb build quality and fit. It's less expensive than Norrona kit in general too Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have worn a bunch of Noronna gear (disclaimer - including testing prototypes for them, albeit because a friend gave me them on long term loan, not as an employee) but never a softshell. I rate their XCR kit very highly (best 3 layer breathable clothing I have had - and that includes Spyder, XCR Arc'teryx kit and others), and the softshells made of Schoeller-type fabric have always looked top be decent quality to me. That said, it is *very* expensive... Would only buy it if it were reduced (worth checking out backcountry.com if you'll be in North America).

Have always thought it is noticably higher quality than Haglofs - although it is possible the latter has improved since I last handled it. And I don't think you get the obnoxious colour choices with Haglofs. Wink

FWIW, I wouldn't be put off wearing soft shell in Fernie, especially if you are pretty active on your skis (ie not the standing around getting cold type). I know plenty of folk who have worn softshell as their main jacket in colder places all winter. Might be worth investing in a thin, packable waterproof layer for the BC showers, but I wouldn't want to be in it all the time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone familiar with Norrona Lofoten Pro Shell sizings. How do they fit? slim? larger than normal? Long?

Cheers,
George
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pretty standard sizing IME - not too slim, not too baggy. longish in the arms
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Very brightly coloured,

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds good, thanks Arno. That suit is sweet!
snow conditions
Disclaimer: I'm a total gear junkie so I'm constantly searching for the latest and greatest and changing my gear every couple of years...

When I tried on a pair of Lofoten bib pants last year, I immediately bought them and I have to say they're the best Gore-Tex bibs I have ever owned! I've now decided to divest of most of my Arcteyrx clothing and replace with it Norrona! I plan on getting the Lofoten jacket soon (still trying to decide on the colour), which will zip together with my pants creating a full powder suit (without the fart bag looks). I've really scrutinized all the stuff on the market and find the Norronas engineering to be just a bit superior to other high-tech garments such as; Sweet Protection, Arcteyrex, HH, Peak Performance, Mamut, Pategonia, etc... It's certainly expensive but they're certainly worth the money -at least to me. Also, the cut of the Lofoten just fits me really well. I really liked my Arcteyrex Sidewinder SV but the fit was not as good as the Lofoten and the Gore-Tex was a generation older so felt morestiff. I also really like the Sweet Protection Crusader (I think that's the right name) but found their stuff just too baggy. When I sized down it was just too tight. Sweets 2010/11 stuff looks technically much better and apparently have changed the cut a bit so I'm not the only one who found it too baggy.
snow report
chelt881, I have the 2009/10 Lyngen softshell jacket that Ellis Brigham stock (I'm not aware of any changes to it for this year). I think it's excellent. I'm a bit of a warm body type, but I used this with a decent weight ice breaker base layer, and a medium fleece in Les Arcs in Feb, in temperatures down to -25C. The cut of the jacket is reasonably athletic, with nice long arms, in fact I bought it because the Arcteryx I had intended to buy seemed so 'boxy' in the large size I needed for length. The hood is great - lovely wired brim. The pit zips are triple, allowing you to position the gap whereever you like. The only thing I would mention is that it appears to be from more of a back country/general outdoors line rather than an exclusively skiing line - it doesn't have a snow skirt inside or a lift pass pouch for example. All in though, a purchase I am very happy with (and I paid the full £299). Let me know if you have any more questions and I'd be happy to answer what I can.

I also agree with others praising Sweet Protection clothing - very well made stuff, and although I don't own any I hear consistently good things about Haglofs. All in, I'm a big fan of the Northern European/Scandic labels. Excellent equipment if often not so well known or available (or cheap...). It's hard to go wrong with any of them really. Focus on getting the right fit for your body shape/approach to layering.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy