Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips needed - Summer skiing in Europe for beginners in September

Poster: A snowHead
This September some Canadian friends are coming and I promise them an European tour of a life time. They had tried skiing only once or twice and I am thinking of taking them to one or two beginner-friendly European resorts to have a bit of fun in between the sight seeing in various cities. Nothing strenuous, just a change from the frantic travelling by spending an odd day here and there.

Zermatt seems to be a good choice although I am unsure of how beginner-friendly it is. Tignes/Val D is another possibility but the first slope at the top of Tignes is the most difficult green slope I know in winter and God knows what it is like in summer.

Any snowhead with first hand information on the resorts operating in September/October time? The opening time seems also pretty short (close at 1 or 2pm?) and totally unrelated to the amount of day light available in the summer.

Edited : Sorry for duplication. Didn't find any usable information after a couple of searches but found out this later. Also I am after something easy for the Canadian mob in September when there possible no more snow left in many resorts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee, the reason the summer resorts shut down so early in the afternoon is that if you leave it any later it's like skiing in heavy porridge with added puddles ! Zermatt is a nice place to visit in summertime though, if you get the opportunity take them to the Jungfrau region on a nice day and take them up to Jungfraujoch, the views are great plus there's lots to see but it's expensive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Diabs may be open but it's flat, Zermatt and Saas Fee,through the Lotschberg tunnel, Jungfrau if you fancy, and then Engelberg.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied the Kitzsteinhorn glacer at Kaprun. If you stay at Zell am See, you're right on the lake and it's only a short bus ride away.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try PAtsi Duncan, ex Supreme (Courchevel), sister to Sue (Supreme and mother of Alain Baxter), who, along with her partner Bastien is running Summer ski school in Tignes, with accommodation in VDI.

I can thoroughly recommend both as first rate teachers.Not sure they'll be there as late as Sept/Oct though!

Send me a PM and I'll let you have her e mail address.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isn't Tignes closed in September?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Milton Keynes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, the runs on the glacier at Zermatt are very beginner friendly. Lovely wide, cruisy motorway blues.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee, I don't know who'll be open in September - we won't be I'm afraid.

You could try Stubaiergletscher which is very picturesque and used to open 365 days a year. Fab hotel at the bottom of the lifts called the Alpensporthotel Mutterberg - really nice & quite lux! On the spot too.

Zermatt, as already mentioned is really nice, but whether it's open in September I doubt. Tignes a possibility - but do you really want to show it to your Canadian friends as an example of Europe??????
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I second Elizabeth B's suggestion. The Kitzsteinhorn is good beginner terrain and is open in September. Stay in the Grand Hotel in Zell (lake side preferably, not railway side Toofy Grin ). Trips to the Grossglockner, Salzburg etc etc all easy from there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks to all for the info.

Zermatt site indicates 365 days skiing. Deux Alpes closes at the end of Aug. Not so sure about Tignes especially after the way easiski has put it.

Austria's Kaprun or Stubai seem a good bet now. Our provisional route passes Innsbruck and Interlaken. Not so sure how the Canadian mobs react to being whacked for £100 for going up just Jungfraujoch though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt is a beutiful town as well, absolutely gorgeous.

I think that anywhere that's open in the Alps would be great in summer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes is shut in Sept.

You should be aware that glaciers (especially after a cold, clear night) may not be the easiest place to learn to ski. The snow will be very hard (think about Formica), and turn to slush quite suddenly !

Having said that, if you get gould weather, the views (Matterhorn, Monte Rosa etc) are fantastic snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

gould weather

er, good weather.......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski, Are you sure that wasn't gu-a-ould as per Stargate????
ski holidays
Goa'uld actually Very Happy
ski holidays
So for September skiing in France is out and the only resorts open for business are in Switzerland and Austria.

I was looking forward to pay PG a visit if Tignes/Val D can be skied in September.
snow report
saikee, Jungfrau Joch can be done for a bit less than £100 if you have a car go from Lauterbrunnen for about £75 but I agree it is expensive, I was lucky when I went up it was somewhat cheaper it is worth it if you can spend a day there but not for an hour or two only, bear in mind that it takes about 3.5 hours to go up from Interlaken Ost station, personally I'd stay in Wengen and take a 3 day pass for the area which I think means you only pay from Kleine Scheidegg up and allows you to go on the other local lifts,also worth going up the Schilthorn to the restaurant where they filmed the Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
Great views
latest report
easiski, ise, If I could type, I'd call myself snowHead 'Type' ........
snow conditions
D G Orf,

I shall take your advice to drive at least to the Grindelwald to board the train to save a bit money.

Anybody have information on the skiing area at JungfrauJoch?

Unlike Zermatt which is part of the domain JungfrauJoch isn't a part of the Wengen/Lauterbrunnen circuit I think. It is just a Glacier at the top and not linked to anywhere.

I have visited Schilthorn in winter but I don't think there is any skiing in summer there.
latest report
saikee, there may be a short rope tow at the top no more than a few hundred feet of beginners slope next to the tow, usually there will also be husky dog sledge runs but that's it no other skiing at that time of year it is possible at the correct time of year to ski all the way down the glacier (the longest in europe) but you need a guide as there are deep crevases, no skiing at schilthorn in summer but it's still worth going up there for the views
snow conditions
saikee, the skiing at Jungfraujoch is summer only (unless with a guide i.e. doing it seriously!!) As D G Orf says, there is a short tow that services an area that is big enough to have a bit of fun on, but short enough to bore you fairly quickly if you can ski well. It's well worth the visit though, even without the skiing.
snow report
D G Orf & Elizabeth B,

The rope tow is OK. As long as the Canadian mobs are safe they have no reason to turn me into dead meat. I am going to suggest to them to try either Kaprun, Stubai or Zermatt too.
snow conditions
Don't forget Saas Fee and Engelberg. Lötschberg tunnel is well sited for you there.
snow conditions
saikee, the rope tow is safe they move it regularly so that it stops short of the crevasse, the concession used to be owned by some good friends of mine but they've since retired, apparently one of the depest crevasses on the glacier can usually be found just beyond the pisted area which is why they do such a short piste they don't want to run the risk of the piste machine breaking through the snow bridge, it's apparently quite thick at that point so very unlikely for a skier to drop through if they were to go beyon the piste
latest report
ise,

I have used the Lotschberg tunnel (a nice train service for cars) before but haven't skied Engelberg or Saas Fee yet.

D G Orf,

I shall remember your tip of the crevasse. No need to settle the score with the mobs this time but you never know it may come in handy. It is a shame that your friends have retired otherwise it can be a perfect inside job to get rid of somebody. Now I need a tip to get this message self-destroyed in 5 seconds.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 22-04-05 0:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
saikee, Are you going with them? Are you driving? If yes to the above then you could try several and take in some pretty Austrian sights as well. That part of Austria is always worth visiting, very pretty (even in September) and will give your Canadian friends an excellent impression of European ski-ing.

ise, I stand corrected. Razz
snow report
easiski,

Yes I am going with them in a 7-seater. It is a pity that Deux Aples does not open in Sept as it has a big and flat summit, ideal for the nervous Canadian mobs. Also it is handy as we would be travelling from Geneva to Turin after a taste of Jungfraujoch.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, Yes pity - I could even have taught them!

Stubaital (particularly) is not far from Innsbruck and also quite close to the Arlborg tunnel to Lichenstein and the Swiss border. they might like to see Lichenstein asd the castle really does look like a fairytale on top of the cliffs - very pictureque. You also get to go over the europebrukke. I don't know if it still is but it was the highest bridge in Europe for a long time - truly spectacular - pity about Mcdonalds at the other side. Also you could take them up the Innsbruck ski jump for the famous view of the graveyard.
latest report
easiski, the McDonalds on the other side of the Europabruecke is well worth visiting for the spectacular view over the Inn valley. The place is built on the side a mountain, and is basically a big semicircular viewing gallery. Shame about the food, but credit to McDonalds for picking the best site for a motorway restaurant that I have ever seen!
latest report
easiski, saikee, the Austrian glaciers are simply not worth skiing on in September! Sorry to have to say this but the skiable area in Stubai is roughly equivalent to what you would get in a snowdome (not that I have ever skied in a snowdome)! The best of a bad lot is probably Hintertux, but definitely not worth making a special visit to Austria for. Unless you are combining it with other activities such as rafting, MTB, or just plain walking, I would forget it!
ski holidays
easiski,

Wait a minute isn't Stubai glacier just outside Innsbruck? Shouldn't be the area around tunnel leading to Liechenstein is Sankt Anton/Lech.

I once drove through the short one just before the long one with a biker In Austria. He disappeared! I waited for him just before entering the long tunnel and had eventually gone back to find him running out of fuel inside the tunnel. What a carry-on?

Mike Lawrie,

Our trip is essentially seeing Europe, like the fairytale castle near Liechenstein, the high bridge in Brenner pass, Munich beer festival, evening dinner in the open city centre of Innsbruck..... The summer skiing is just an side event to form a nice break from driving, eating and walking. As long as the resort is open and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get in it will do for us. It is my ultimate dream to show these mobs the European skiing sometime in winter with places like Tarentaise, Porte Du Soleil and Dolomites. Have to break it gently to them as they think Whistler is the biggest skiing can get.

Hinterlux isn't easy to get to as it lies at the end of a long valley. The last time I went the whole resort was closed due to high wind.
snow conditions
Mike Lawrie, They should never have allowed the revolting double arch logo at that Macdonalds - just another example of disgusting american bad taste in a relly beautiful area. Have you every driven the old road under the bridge - very spectacular!

I disagree about the Stubaier gletscher. The problem is September - if it's a warm summer the ski area will be very restricted - but these are beginners and it's very civilised there. Beautiful hotel at the bottom of the lifts - lovely drive up to it - super restaurant with shops for hiring gear right on the glacier. what better for a first experience?

saikee, It sounds perfect. Geneva, across Switzerland, through Lichenstein, Aarlborg tunnel, beautiful drive from there to Innsbruck (castles on top of hills etc). Off across the Europabrukke to Stubaital (which is very beautiful in it's entirety) and up to the glacier for a quick spot of "how to". Afterwards a quick trip to Bodensee perhaps - Munich - quite picturesque with a very spectacular cathedral - worth a visit for anyone..... lots more - there's always Salzburg, but that's a bit further. Vienna is too far ....
ski holidays
saikee, I skied in Saas Fee last September - in a week there was one day when the glacier was closed due to poor visibility (it was snowing). I went with a non-ski-ing friend who had a great time walking, biking etc. He managed to find some pretty active nightlife too (I was in bed by 10 each night to get the first lift up in the morning - as you know, you can't ski much past 1pm). A very pretty and spectacular "chocolate box" village, guaranteed to appeal to transatlantic visitors. And the Swiss transport system is a dream - although not much use if you're driving. I picked up some useful tips before from Snowheads - do a search on summer ski-ing. Enjoy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy