Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Major new snowdome mooted for Manchester

Poster: A snowHead
The ratio of snowdome projects to snowdome realities generally runs at about 20 to 1 in the UK, but a new scheme proposed for Manchester sounds like a runner. It would be the biggest in the country.

For a start, three people involved - David Sterland, Andrew Lockerbie and Bob Brigham - have enjoyed successful careers in the ski business and would probably get the concept right.

Here are the details, from yesterday's Manchester Evening News.

Any comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just wish they'd build one near Bristol/Cardiff.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Cardiff Bay plans were supposed to include one. Has it died?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wish there was one south of London ! You'd think with the supposed number of snow sports enthusiasts down below London that there would be at least one, no chance Crying or Very sad Heck we've even got some decent sized hills so no need for really tall buildings just build up a slope, oh well not likely to happen any time soon I guess Crying or Very sad

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 9-03-04 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lets hope it doesn't go the way of Salford World of snow.
Now Salford World of expensive yet tacky apartments...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I live half an hour's drive away from the MK snowdome and have only been once. It's very expensive and very limited. Unless you want tuition (which is also very expensive) they're really over rated. I may go back if I get really really desperate. Those of you who wish that you live near one shouldn't really worry too much
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple of my friends I'm going skiing with soon, who are beginners decided they wanted to get off to a flying start on holiday so they went to Castleford snowdome for some lessons, only to find out that eight hours tuition was 150 pounds!
Its cheaper for more hours in France... Who'd have thunk it?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting point, Chris. I guess people are still using plastic slopes where they have the choice, on a basis of price -v- ski enjoyment. The longest plastic slopes in the country are still significantly longer than indoor snow slopes.

Impressively, though, all 3 UK snowdomes are still running and Tamworth has passed its 10th birthday. So I guess there are sufficient punters willing to pay the premium for snow.

What are people's views about skiing plastic against snow, where the choice is available locally?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd pay for snow every time. It's great in the summer just to strap your skis on, and hit the real stuff. Plastic is nothing like real snow. (IMHO)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to ski quite a lot on plastic, both at Sheffield and Rossendale, and I have to say I enjoy it a lot. If its wet and running fast it can be great.
The problem I find is variety. Sheffield is much better beacuse of all the bumps, jumps, rollers and narrow bits.
All these snow domes are only good for about an hour. Unless your into rails, boxes and tabletops...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You have to wondera bout the viability of a snowdome in Manchester. Much of the business drumed up by the others is due to people travelling long distances. However, with Castleford and Tamworth taking up so much of the surrounding catchment area (and talks of one being built in Sheffield), will there be the demand?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But hasn't planning permission been granted for one already in Merseyside on the Wirral on the old Camel Lairds ship building site ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you drew a map of Britain with every mooted snowdome on it, there would hardly be room to move. In fact, they could all be linked into something like the Superski Dolomiti. My local snowdome - the one on the Beckton Alps site - got off the ground in terms of concrete footings, but is now just a page in that famous book 'Archaelogical Remains of Ski Slopes, UK Edition'.

Let's get this straight - Londoners, and no one else, are the underprivileged ones when it comes to snowdomes. Everywhere I walk in this great metropolis, bedraggled people with skis on their shoulders come up to me, asking "Can you direct me to a snowdome?"

I then fish one of those little 'shake and snow' clear plastic snowdomes out of my pocket. They're not amused.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dry slopes and snow-domes help beginners to get a feel for skiing before going on holiday and doing the real thing, helping to reduce the number of injuries etc. Its just a shame they are so bloody expensive Exclamation
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Greg Capper wrote:
Dry slopes and snow-domes help beginners to get a feel for skiing before going on holiday and doing the real thing, helping to reduce the number of injuries etc. Its just a shame they are so bloody expensive Exclamation

I dunno why they have to be so expensive. I worked for 6 months out in Belgium a couple of years back and we used to go to a snowdome place in Peer over there for a mess around. Less than a tenner for an hour free skiing/boarding, just over a tenner for a group lesson. Less if you brought your own stuff along (about 6 or 7 quid for an hour IIRC).

Also the slope was bigger and better than Tamworth (haven't been to the others). So how can they justify charging upwards of 20 quid an hour is beyond me.
snow report
Lager wrote:
So how can they justify charging upwards of 20 quid an hour is beyond me.

Because enough people will pay it to justify the price?
snow report
Also, dry slopes cost up to £15 per hour......and you'd expect snowdomes to be a bit more pricey.
ski holidays
You can get a small discount with SCGB membership.... Wink
ski holidays
It may be pricey, but it's still very busy at weekends. I'd prefer them to be pricey and viable, then they'll be around for longer.
snow report
Snowdome for Manchester, should be quite inexpensive, as I hear its been a very cold and frosty atmosphere at Old Trafford of late!!!!!!
ski holidays
Yes, and it's all going downhill Wink
latest report
Ken Lingwood, I was just thinking that. Perhaps they will convert the almost empty trophy room into one. All that needs to happen is for someone to install a lift up to the top of Sir Alex's over inflated ego, and people could ski down that.
snow report
WTFH, lift might not be practical, the altitude sickness would be unbearable!!!!
snow conditions
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Also there may be a problem with the snow melting, he may have an icy personality, but all he spouts is hot air.
latest report
He's got attitude sickness...
latest report
The apres wouldn't be up to much, Vin Chaud made with sour grapes - no thanks.
ski holidays
And prawn sandwiches
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't be keen.

Kean....................................geddit?

I'll get me coat Embarassed
snow report
marc gledhill, I hate to break it to you, but you've STILL not pulled!
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
I'll get me coat Embarassed

Fox (and others who may be wondering), it's an old joke from the days of bikemagic - as in "yes, I know it;s a crap joke, I'll just leave quietly before I'm thrown out bodily"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy