Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Too Cold?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've jsut got the Ski Bug after a fab week in La Clusaz with Amazing Sno and sun.
We're trying to book to go away at Christmas, But I've been told that it can be painfully cold for Kids.
I have googled for past historical temperature charts but can only find historical Snow charts.
Does anyone have a source or advice on taking kids away over Christmas?

Many thanks

CHris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads knobby, snowHead

I'm sure that there'll be lots of opinions and help when everyone opens for business at 9am!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
main problem at Christmas is lack of snow, rather than cold temperatures. You'll need to be very careful about choice of resort - need somewhere high - others here will have plenty of advice on that score. But some high places (eg Tignes) not a load of laughs for kids. Christmas 2004 lots of resorts (eg Courchevel) had very little ski-ing available. I took my kids away early January, always, because it was cheapest. It was never too cold for them to enjoy it, though sometimes too cold to be out long. This year it was really warm towards the end of January, good snow and lunch outside, but then extremely cold right through to early March. You can never be sure of the weather, but one fairly reliable statistic is that snow is scarce at Christmas time. Some places are also crowded then, and lack of snow + lots of people = lift queues. Unless your kids are about to do vital exams, take them out of school and go in late January, it will be far cheaper, much more enjoyable with fewer queues, and much more snowsure.

Stand by for lots of quite different views, especially about taking kids out of school. Personally I find it a lot less irresponsible than allowing them to eat at McDonalds and watch telly for hours every day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmmm I don't mind taking my kids out of school, by I won't get away with taking my wife out!
;0)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cold is rarely a problem in Europe, lack of snow is. As pam w said Christmas can be dodgy for snow. Cold temperatures? Well I eventually got fed up with skiing in -18C temperatures day after day for many weeks this season (Jan/Feb/Mar) but that was exceptional. In the Three Valleys over new year it was warm enough to sit outside for lunch on some days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
knobby,welcome to snowHeads snowHead Pin back yer ears,the kids thing always gets em going Laughing
First off,its all a lottery(snow,temps,crowds etc)Take a look at the 'End of season bash' thread for an example.Some were getting a bit concerned about snow cover then,BANG,it bales it down Laughing There's over 30 of us going out to Les Arcs this coming weekend,and it will be sheer heaven.A week ago it was a very different story.

Christmas;well I for one avoid it.I know its a tempting idea,Christmas in the snow and all that,but,quite simply,its not reliable.As pam w rightly say's,if you must,go high.

Kids.Here,I have no qualms at all.Take them out.My 13yr old son is coming to the bash;and has his SAT's as soon as he returns.Concerned,no.He's done the work,he's chilled about the tests,and has a week in the Alps to clear the mind.I've no concerns at all.Your line suggest your wife may be a teacher?That,I admit,would be a problem.

You could always forge a sicknote wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
knobby, Were you in La Clusaz for the Candide Invitational? I think it was this past week. Big freestyle competition up on La Balme and in the town too. Apparently some insane stuff went down there this year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No We were earlier than the Candide Invitational.
To be honest we were all complete beginners at the start of the week. so we souldn't even have looked out for it.
That was then. Now we can't wait to get back.
Christmas is still a dilemma.
Weighing up cost Vs School holidays (I'm sure that's all cvered in another thread)
The weather was SO good that we had to go out and buy loads of T-shirts as we were only prepared for the Arctic.
We were just worried that Christmas would be killer cold and that we couldn't cope.
I've looked at the historical Sow for La Clusaz and it doesn't look like we'll be skiing on brown stuff, but as so many say, It's a lottery!

CHris
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are pretty much lumbered with school holiday times and so have often been away over Christmas or New Year and can't say that it is any colder than the Feb half term. It really varies from year to year. This year, it was reasonably mild over New Year compared to late January/early Feb.

In your research and deliberations, bear in mind that Austria, although lower than France, historically has a better early season snow record. (possible therefore a degree or two milder therefore too)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've been skiing at Christmas time for the last six or seven years (like you, my partner teaches) and never had problems with very cold temperatures: we've had mild temperatures and cold temeratures, but that is the case for every month of the ski season. Although snow conditions haven't always been good at Christmas, there has always been plenty of piste skiing available. We go high (Courchevel or Les Arcs) to minimise the chance of no snow. Given the choice of Christmas snow conditions or half-term crowds I would choose Christmas everytime.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
knobby, we take our kids skiing every Christmas and yes, sometimes the cold has been a problem. A couple of years ago in Val d'Isere it was bitterly cold and the younger ones struggled with it. But it can get bitterly cold at other times of the season too. Last Christmas we were in Hinterglemm/Saalbach which is not very high but has a good snow record for the early season and seems to be quite sheltered (like Ray Zorro just said!).

Whatever, go for it, there's nothing better than spending Christmas day in the snow with your kids.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am going this Christmas for the first time, just wondering how busy is it? Have heard New Year week is very busy but Christmas is less so?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sallyanne, you're quite right Xmas is less busy than New Year, especially in the French resorts. I think Xmas is a great week to be skiing but you have to go to a high resort, at least 1700 metres in my opinion. In my experience, we've always had snow at Xmas in La Rosiere and because we're south facing we get the best of any sunshine. A lot of resorts which are predominately north facing, Arc 2000 as an example, can be pretty bleak in early season. Often they don't see any sun until mid-morning and they're in the shade again by about 3PM.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, we're planning on going to La Clusaz which is 1800m -2400m but I don't know which way the sun shines.
The idea of missing huge crowds In feb is also a plus!!
Chris
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
knobby, Christmas ski-ing is great. It may or may not be cold (as previously mentioned). 2 years ago it was bitterly cold at Christmas, but it's not normally too bad. Check on the number of cannons on the lower runs though. Go for somewhere with lots!!! Make sure you take good thermals for the kids and high necked polos. many kids seem not to want to wear something around the neck, but it's essential. We had a very cold week during the half term hols this year and I had little kids ski-ing (4 - Cool but they were all fine. their parents bought them silk balaclavas to wear under their helmets and inner gloves to go under their mitts (woolly ones can be used) and the only problem was cold toes!

You could come here - town 1650m - majority of ski-ing above that and going right up to 3,600m. This Christmas with the poor snow we were ski-ing on the glacier, but it wasn't that cold - Père Noel comes onto the nursery slopes in a pony and trap to give sweets to the kids - fireworks etc. and not too many people. What could be better??? Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
knobby, welcome to snowHeads. You could do much worse than try La Rosiere as mentioned earlier. It's a terrific resort - ideal for families. As you seem to be a newcomer to sliding, it could well suit your needs with a good mix of terrain. The town is quite compact with easy access to the lift system and the whole place has a good atmosphere. There are also a good mix of restaurants and those on the slopes are generally pretty good.

I was out there between Christmas and the new year and the conditions were pretty good, although the snow came late to most resorts this season.

Probably the best thing to do, if you can bear to wait, is to wait and see how and where the snow falls and then make your booking as late as possible. Always a bit of a gamble with availability, but at least you'll have the comfort of knowing the conditions will be good along with the chance of securing a good deal.
ski holidays
Mark Hunter wrote
Quote:

Probably the best thing to do, if you can bear to wait, is to wait and see how and where the snow falls and then make your booking as late as possible.

That's good advice. It's rare that Christmas is very booked up, at least in France, as the French seem to much prefer to go at New Year. I also second the views above about La Rosiere, which all my family enjoyed. Because it's high, you are much more likely to have snow around your accommodation than in La Clusaz. And sunshine is very important. I have not skied at La Clusaz but I drive through it quite a lot, and there's not often snow down into the town itself at the beginning and end of the season. Kids do love to have snow outside the chalet/apartment, to potter around in. For little ones, it's more important than the ski-ing.
snow report
My kids are better at doing cold than the missus. They are poor at managing the cold ie if its a cold wind we would do up the jacket and pull up the turtle fur, wheras kids will only do this once they are cold. I would 3rd La Rosiere as it is great for kids, friendly, and seems to have limited accomodation, and poor access for day trippers resulting in quiet slopes, and I mean quiet
snow report
knobby, Hi and welcome to snowheads Blush Blush Blush
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy