Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In Tartiflette We Trust

Poster: A snowHead
This is the slogan used (in English, not French) by Skipass.com, the largest French speaking ski discussion site on the web (17,000 members, versus 2,000 for snowHeads). It's described as "Le slogan légendaire" on the website, and is increasingly seen on T-Shirts, etc..

Does anyone know whether this slogan has any deeper meaning? Tartiflette is just a cheese and potato dish, so at face value it makes about as much sense as if snowHeads members all wore the slogan "J'ai confiance en Yorkshire Pudding". But maybe the whole point is it's meaningless but memorable.

Which raises the question, does snowHeads need a more memorable slogan than the somewhat generic "love snow, live snow, eat snow"?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Julian T, got to say "J'ai confiance en Yorkshire Pudding" would make a stunning t'shirt for a season, perhaps we should have a seasonal slogan ea. year? The more obtuse the better Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Julian T, I understand that "Death by Tartiflette" is another popular slogan (pastime?) in the darkest depths of 3-valleyism. I had previously thought that these so-called "traditional" dishes (pierre chaud, raclette, fondue etc) were Savoyard jokes perpetrated on unsuspecting foreign tourists. However, last Friday night in a certain high resort in France the only 2 people in a packed restaurant not eating these concoctions were us Shocked

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 14-04-05 21:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, Laughing love it (but not tartiflette)

Julian T, tried to flog the idea that the Skipass logo would be a good example to follow here on snowHeads to the powers that be ages ago... but got nowhere wink

No - the meaning runs about as deep as Masque's suggestion....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So what's wrong with tartiflette, great ski fodder. Maybe you have to be a skier to appreciate them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about-

"snowHeads - the only cheese is in our inevitable jokes thread"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque,seasonal slogan/tee shirt sounds a cracking idea.Confident you can supply the more obtuse Puzzled

Tartiflette has always confused me.In the home of superb cuisine you get 'that'??It might well be traditional,but that doesn't excuse it in my book.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only thing that I would trust Tartiflette to do is to give me a coronary.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tartiflette also contains onions and lardons - if it was just cheese and potato it would be fine. YUK. Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
Tartiflette also contains onions and lardons - if it was just cheese and potato it would be fine. YUK. Sad

Yes, I hate onions although tartichevre seems not to have them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I looooove tartiflette, washed down with plenty of wine. If you've had cr*ppy ones, suggest you visit Le Beneton in Les Saisies, manditory to be sat in there in a blizzard watching the world get whiter as you wolf down the food Very Happy

Glad to say my other half makes a pretty authentic one so even if we don't get to the alps we can still hop over to France on a day trip and bring back a Reblechon or two - savoyard dishes are great social food, even if you get cheeseballs all night following one Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Julian T wrote:
..it makes about as much sense as if snowHeads members all wore the slogan "J'ai confiance en Yorkshire Pudding".

Go for it. That is a shirt I would buy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On a verycold and windy day, Tartiflette is THE lunchtime gut filler. Wonderfully tasty, filling, warming, and hard to do very badly. MMMmmmmmmmm
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you don't like Tartiflette, you haven't tried Francois Baud's "Patates au reblochon" at Chez Nannon on the Nyon Plateau above Morzine washed down with sufficient Mondeuse and followed by a poire or three.

Extraordinary.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, Yes I have ... and I still can not stand it ! Tartiflette is the living proof that the Haute-Savoyards do not want to be French ! Smile

P.S. Did you correct ise , there was plenty of excellent snow in PdS this week , another great few days although too many 'pisteurs' had been laid off/finished around Les Gets/Morzine.
latest report
mm.. that's the PdS for you I thought it was a bit naff, you ought to be drinking something like a Apremont or an Abymes.
snow report
Newbie50 wrote:
David Murdoch, Yes I have ... and I still can not stand it ! Tartiflette is the living proof that the Haute-Savoyards do not want to be French ! Smile

P.S. Did you correct ise , there was plenty of excellent snow in PdS this week , another great few days although too many 'pisteurs' had been laid off/finished around Les Gets/Morzine.

sure, that's why they painted grass onto the webcams and the huge glass fascia they have for the area when I was driving past.
snow report
Newbie50, Think of it as a French version of Hot Pot
snow conditions
ise, Point taken about the PdS pisteurs. Is it like that every year ? The only reason many pistes were closed was lack of staff.

As to the skiing well as far as I could make out Avoriaz had every piste open .... Les Gets snow was excellent Sun-Weds (IMHO) and probably better than in the March heat ( and I skied down with no problem at 4 pm yesterday). I confess that flying back home I was AMAZED at how white the Savioe/Hautes Alps were compared to PdS. Luckily I only drink absinthe rolling eyes

Frosty the Snowman, Nah, I like Hot Pot !
ski holidays
I desperately want one of those raclette thingeys, only beein able to find it in the bodum shop so far
snow conditions
I've just returned from PDS and can agree with Newbie that skiing was excellent Monday and Tuesday around Avoriaz and as far as Pre la Joux and Linga, from there everything was closed apart from a few beginners slopes above Chatel. Had some lovely powder above Avoriaz in le fornet area, and went over into Le Crosets where things were getting very patchy......keeping to the subject, I love Tartiflette, had one of the best in les lindarets a few years ago, but funnily enough wouldn't eat one when at home, just seems to go well after a mornings skiing!!!
snow report
Snowheads: - "In a Tart's bed we're trussed"
ski holidays
skanky, snowHead Laughing Have got to have one of those! Wonder if the French would get it!
ski holidays
ise,
Quote:

sure, that's why they painted grass onto the webcams and the huge glass fascia they have for the area when I was driving past

You need to know where to look. Had some stonking powder last weekend and looking forward to more this weekend coming!

Newbie50, if the situation is the same as it used to be and what I was told is correct, seasonal workers (pisterurs, lifties, etc.) are on fixed contracts, pre-defined at the beginning of the season. This allows the workers to manage their summer/winter contracts in different places. While they can get laid off early, the resort can't extend the season if there's a late fall of snow (sadly).

For the lower PDS resorts, around now is historically when 1. the snow melts and 2. people stop going skiing generally not long after easter - it's not worth them running full capacity for only a few pax. So the closure date is always set for around now. It may be a little different next year with the very late easter.
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
ise,
Quote:

sure, that's why they painted grass onto the webcams and the huge glass fascia they have for the area when I was driving past

You need to know where to look. Had some stonking powder last weekend and looking forward to more this weekend coming!

Shocked I thought the PdS was just 650km of high quality skiing?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, Newbie50,

If you think tartiflette is an insult to the digestive process, you should try poutine (or maybe you shouldn't). - This French-Canadian delicacy (chips covered with melted cheese and gravy) very effectively does away with the frequently quoted misconception that Quebecois culture is somehow more sophisticated, thanks to its French connections.
ski holidays
I think the logo "In Tartiflette we trust" may be a take-off from the famous Ski Extreme one of "In Old School we Trust", which is fairly universally worn by freeriders to celebrate their long fat skis.
ski holidays
I like:

"J'ai confiance en Yorkshire Pudding"

or, more retro:

"J'ai confiance en warm beer"

or, more realistic:

"J'ai confiance en tandoori pizza"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Warm beer??? Don't let Vic hear you mention that, it'll send her off on one. Beer should never be served warm. We don't talk about red wine served at the correct temperature as being 'warm wine' do we?
ski holidays
Can't believe that Pete, she's far too nice!
latest report
We do trust in Tartiflette Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy