Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For Pete's Sake, Lock the jeffing ski room door!

Poster: A snowHead
Is it only me that experiences this phenomenon, or do other Snowheads encounter (and get frustrated) by it too?

No matter where i ski, and with what kind of clientèle, the outside door to the Ski/Boot room is pretty much always left unlocked.
Very rarely after a day skiing do i need to root out my key in order to get into the ski room at the chalet or B&B I am staying in.

I know that ski resorts probably don't have the kind of theft risk that i am used to (living near Manchester!), but it still pees me off to consistently find the door either unlocked or just swinging open.

Just me?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magic_hat, you must be the only snowHead that doesn't sleep with his/her skis
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At the last hotel we stopped at I was very impressed by the individual, lockable lockers provided in the ski room. On the second morning of skiing, I went to pick up my skis only to accidentaly open the locker next to mine. Further investigation proved that each of the 20+ lockers used the same key pattern.

This wasn't to much of an issue until a large group of Germans discovered it and started filling other guest's lockers with their kit. On the final day of the holiday someone must have had enough, as when I left the locker room there were several sets of skis and poles thrown out in a pile just outside the ski room door.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always use my ski lock in the boot room
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, the rental shop I hired my skis from in Tignes last week specifically request I use mine in the ski room, they've had quite a few pairs stolen from ski rooms as well as from outside bars - apparently 40 pairs a day being reported nicked over half term in Le Lac
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only ever once come across a hotel ski room that was not entered in the afternoon by a simple open door, from the outside, and even that one only required a 4 digit code entering on a keypad.

But it does seem to be quite rare for skis to be stolen from these ski rooms, for some reason.

Several hotels locked the ski room external door after early evening, and unlocked them around 8AM.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I must have been lucky - I think the places I have stayed have been reasonably secure - either at the building, room or locker level.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat wrote:
jeffing ski room door

No relation to the jeffing wickes abuse zone
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from Espace Killy and shocked to see the comment from snowgirl123, I always lock my and the families ski's, my though is that the potential thief would rather not have hassle of trying to get the lock off, we stayed with Alpine Tracks in Tignes Le B, the boot room/entrance to the chalet had a decent keypad lock and the door was always closed, the chalet hosts made a point of reminding us.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:

LOL, before I read that I was thinking "wtf, he/she leaves his/her skis alone for the night?!? Shocked "

Glad I'm not alone Laughing wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller wrote:

And carry them in hand luggage.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think i encountered a key code door on my first ever ski trip to La Rosiere - after that they have always been just standard key operated locks.... that are never locked wink

Think in future I will get some locks and lock them up safe and sound. Or sleep with them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I sleep with my skis I keep them next to my helmet Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is why you never see staff leave their stuff in the ski room, despite the face that they're supposed to and get constant grief from their managers about skis in staff accommodation ruining the carpets.

And no matter how many signs you put up, how many times you remind people, and how often you lock the door yourself, the stupid sods still leave it open. rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, But surely when on holiday, I cannot be expected to lock the door myself? I have paid to be looked after for a week, and I don't think it unreasonable for someone to go around checking doors are locked and windows are closed after me.....

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Any decent large establishment's ski room should have an automatic over head or perko type door closer and a lock that actually locks the door when it swings closed. If you do not have that then you are a tight wad staying in a second class establishment wink
snow conditions
magic_hat wrote:

I know that ski resorts probably don't have the kind of theft risk that i am used to (living near Manchester!), but it still pees me off to consistently find the door either unlocked or just swinging open.

50,000 pairs of skis reported stolen to the French police a year, I bet even Manchester doesn't have that kind of theft record. 3,000-4,000 pairs in l'Espace Killy alone.
snow report
davidof, Where do they end up, surely Poland and Bulgaria don't need that many skis in a season Confused
ski holidays
rayscoops, that's exactly what happened in all the hotel ski rooms I've used. Just back from my favourite hotel in Austria where very little stealing takes place as a rule. But all the hotels I saw had keycard-operated doors and these were all self closing. My skis were in another building with a flimsier door than the main ski room, but it had a self-closing device on it as well as a keycard lock.

I did hear a news broadcast earlier this season reporting thefts from a couple of hotels somewhere in the Tirol. A gang apparently managed to clear out the basement ski rooms and boot rooms of all the skis and boots despite the locks, so they probably had some kind of inside help. Apparently there are organised bands out there cleaning up and probably selling on Flea-Bay! (Or maybe here? Laughing ) These raids were unusual enough to get headline status in the news broadcasts.

There is relatively little theft of gear in Austria and mostly what happens appears to be accidental (but still bloody annoying) rather than preplanned. One ofmy instructor friends was a bit chary of leaving their top of the range skis together outside the mountain hut. But as they were the only ones sperating their skis and stashing them in different places, I reckoned it would be easy to pair them up and nick them if you really wanted to!

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

Austria where very little stealing takes place as a rule.

When we in Ischgl this year we wre warned by the rental shop that a lot of stuf had been stolen recently. Mind you they wre trying to sell us insurance at a fairly high price.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I stayed at some very nice apartments last weekend (Kuhtai) and the entire check in process was automated, all you had to do was type the booking code in to a machine and keycards popped out, and these cards then also operated the ski room, which was accessed from inside the apartment building lobby. Free sweets, bread, apples and an internet linked computer in the reception too !
latest report
At the Vicoria Lauberhorn (MSB) the door of the ski room was always locked. We paid 10 francs deposit for a key. Having said that, I'm not sure theft is a problem at Wengen as we saw rucksacs hung on skis outside restaurants and lifts Shocked .
snow report
We went to Sauze D'Oulx in Feb (tho we didn't stay in main resort, but in Jouvenceaux the old town), my parents and brother stayed in an apartment that had a lockable ski room outisde and hubby and I were staying in a B+B next door - the B+B had 3 ski lockers outside, all were always left unlocked with the keys in the locks! We left our skis in the apartment ski room just in case but if you looked around there were lots of pretty good skis and kit just left on the balconies of the permanent residents. So I guess they don't have a problem with theft Shocked just couldn't quite bring myself to leave all my skis in an unlocked cupboard on the street tho.. Also noticed noone seemed to separate skis or anything at the restaurants, despite there being a lot of seriously good kit around. As someone who grew up in Glasgow and now lives in Manchester it all seemed very strange to me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I don't tend to use hotel ski/boot rooms, I rent lockers at the lift base stations. Hopefully these are more secure and they have the added bonus that the boot rooms are normally heated and I don't have to lug all my equipment back and forth to the hotel every day.
snow report
Was in Mayrhofen in January, boot room was never locked during the day.

The apartments where we usually stay has racks in the hall at foor of stairs, easy enough to get access but never lost anything yet. Maybe nobody fancies my cheap rossis Sad
ski holidays
We had 'lockable ski lockers' this year. Didn't even bother looking at them, skis stayed in our room.
snow report
I always assumed the impossibly small bath in an alpine apartment was for keeping snowboards in Little Angel
snow conditions
Tackling this from the other angle:

If I have a night out in Verbier I know of an apartment block near the lift station that leaves their ski room open during the day, this means I can dump my stuff there and go into town without having to go a mile or so through the streets and back again to leave it at my mates apartment.

OTOH the ski lockers in our block are pretty much too small to leave a snowboard in, given I have 4 boards and a set of skis and gorilla has 3 pairs of skis plus those of anyone staying here (most will have 2: 1 normal pair and 1 touring setup) we have no chance. Every couple of weeks the concierge catches someone taking skis in the lift and complains. Laughing

Last season the apartmnet owner told us to keep stuff on the balcony as the ski rooms weren't secure and had all been broken into at some point. We never even found where they were.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, a number of reports of skis being nicked off balconies, I seem to recall
ski holidays
Not only that, they steal the balconies as well
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, depends how high your balcony is.
ski holidays
magic_hat wrote:
For Pete's Sake, Lock the jeffing ski room door

For Pete's sake, lock this thread
snow report
snowHeads have their own Tea Leaf of course although he only nicks Pocket rockets ifirc Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1325&start=40#206492

The original thread regarding the thef has been removed from the site wink
ski holidays
Pete Doherty is in Austria at the moment, is Jef Wickes with him?
ski holidays
DB, Jef in Turkey last I heard Toofy Grin
ski holidays
For Pete's sake, pluck/fuck the jeffin turkey
ski holidays
The hotel in St Anton had a good strong door closer and a key pad - although the skiis were not in individual lockers inside, It helped that you had to go in the main door beforehand too!

I managed to loose on in Powder this year (yes we looked, for a long time, and yes we looked much further above than We thought). THe shop were real a**holes about it until the last day, giving me some other skis and telling us to go look again...but when we went back emptyhanded they told us that the insuracne did coverit and there was no excess so.....result?

The guide we used said that 90% of all "stolen" skiis were mistakenly swapped, although to be honest I can't believe that's true, the chances of the bindings fitting for a start must be astronomical!
ski holidays
ddraver wrote:

The guide we used said that 90% of all "stolen" skiis were mistakenly swapped, although to be honest I can't believe that's true, the chances of the bindings fitting for a start must be astronomical!

Not as high as you might think actually.

For any given make of boots, you generally find that one shell size covers two shoe sizes. and also remember that you will often have a good enough fit for the skis to stay on, even when the sole length is 1-2mm different to the ones the skis have been set for (releasing correctly is another matter, but you only find out about that when you fall and they don't come off).
snow report
Given that loads of skis were being stolen 30 to 40 years ago (plenty vanished when I was based in the Spey Valley in 1974-5), it's impressive that international skiing is still monkeying about with the issue in 2010.
snow report
Another comment in favour of Hemsedal. Ski lockers are either part of the apartment/chalet or use the same key code for the room you are in. They are also big enough to accomodate the kit of the people staying as opposed to the French place we were in last week. Ski locker for 6 with room for 4 pairs of skis, 1 of boots and two helmets. Hardly sufficient but at least it worked with our room key.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy