Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmin 310 sports watch

Poster: A snowHead
I am in the process of buying a GPS/heart rate watch for running and i am interested to see if this would be any good for skiing. I cant recall seeing any posts on this watch and it seems that most people are using phone apps or other types of gps units.
the garmin 310 is designed for triathletes and is at the higher end of their sports watch product range so i am sure it would work but interested to see if anyone has any experience of using it for skiing. Primary reason for buying the watch is for running but may as well cover the skiing option as well so if there are any other watches out there that will fit the bill for running and skiing please let me know.

thanks
Edit: for the skiing i do not need the ability to plan my route etc which a lot of GPS units give you, it is more to see where i have been and a few stats about distance speed etc. I know that this watch will do it for running as everything can be downloaded to the Garmin connect website where all your data can be stored in your opwn personal file. interested to see hwo well it works for skiing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pauljames, I use a Garmin Edge 205 which is a bike biased version of one of the older Forerunners. It works absolutely fine for skiing. Here's a track from one day at Easter on Connect http://connect.garmin.com/activity/163718356
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, thanks for the link...i am sure the 310 will do what i want it to do..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As Colin B, I have a Forerunner 305 and a Garmin Edge 500. Both are fine for taking out skiing to track where you've been. I find them better than a phone app, as GPS usage can drain a phone's battery quite quickly.

The Forerunner 305 does have a problem once you've completed 100 laps (1 mile = a lap on the way I have mine set up) in that it starts to just keep summary info on the older tracks. But I think this would be fixed on the 310, especially given that an Ironman bike is 112 miles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use a Holux 260 Pro which is about half the price of the Garmin 310 but has very similar functionality.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great advantage of 310 over the 305 is battery life (I have both). The 310 advertises 20 hours - it`s certainly good for 15 hours. That far outstrips any other wrist mounted Garmin (or other GPS device). That said the new 910 has a similarly long battery life. The 910 might be better - unlike the 310 it has a barometric altimeter - which might be useful for skiing. It`s another tri watch - the next step up from the 310.

I also have a 610. Great for running but battery life sucks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonty, and all
thanks for your input on this, i think anything above the 310 might be going into an area that i dont view as value for money and the amount of use i will put it to. I do have a question though which may change my mind.
How do the 310 and similar work out accurate distance when taking into account uphill and down hills etc and does this differ from how the distance calculations are made when the watch has a barometric altimeter or is the altimeter nothing to do with distance calculation?
hopefully that question makes sense or am i looking to deeply into the technicality of each unit.

thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good question.

When I`m running in the UK with a 310 or 610, the Garmin Connect software automatically corrects the elevation/s recorded by the watch - I suppose it must have terrain data centrally loaded which effectively overrides what the watch is telling it (where necessary).

Certainly so far as running is concerned the 310 seems very consistent when I run (and repeat) hilly routes. Consistency is not necessarily the same as accuracy but it`s a pretty good pointer.

How that would translate to an Austria ski slope, I`m afraid I simply don`t know. I would have thought it would be pretty accurate but doubtless some well informed individual can give you chapter and verse.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting so do you know if the higher spec models with the barometric altimeter use the altimeter for distance calculation or is it purely for altitude measurements ?
thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting discussion on the accuracy of the barometric altimeter here (accuracy re elevation cf distance covered): https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=26273

See also DC Rainmaker`s review of the 910 (he also reviews all the other Garmin products) http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The barometric pressure gauge on Garmin's bike computers (OK, I know you're looking at running watches, but I'd expect Garmin to reuse many hardware and software components) gives very strange results unless you calbrate the altitude at the start of your ride.

Barometric pressure measures relative altitude very accurately, but it's hopeless for absolute altitude measurements as air pressure rises and falls with changing weather conditions. OTOH, GPS triangulation of altitude is too imprecise to give a good measure of ascent or descent, but can be used make a reasonable assessment of absolute altitude.

If you haven't set a proper calbration point at the start of your ride, Garmin uses a slightly strange algorithm to calibrate the barometric altitude against GPS data over the first couple of miles. If a low pressure system has moved over since you last used it, the device gets slightly confused and thinks that you have an heroic level of hill climbing ability. When you upload the run/ride onto the Garmin Connect site, you have an option to correct the altitude data, presumably using accurate mapping information. That option isn't available if you're using other sites like Endomondo or Strava.

Once you calibrate the device, though, calculated ascents and descents are extremely accurate: any two Garmins will typically differ by less than 1% IME. The accuracy of temperature measurements is truly dreadfull, though - we often see 4-5 degrees C difference between devices.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jonty wrote:
See also DC Rainmaker`s review of the 910 (he also reviews all the other Garmin products) http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

Is that guy for real? His specimen heart rate graph shows him exercising at a consistent 175BPM for 1.5 hours Shocked . I'd probably die if I pushed my body that far.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Johnny. That`s very interesting. Does it follow that you have to recalibrate m/less every time you step out for a run ?

175 bpm over 1.5 hours shouldn`t be too much of a problem for someone who is fit with a max HR of 195-200. I run marathons at an average HR of 170-175 and I`m old and knackered !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My max HR is 181 (I've occasionally pushed it very slightly higher but never for more than 3-4 seconds), so a sustained rate of 175 sounded fairly incredible to me. I think that I have an unusually slow ticker, though - after an active holiday skiing or biking, my resting HR drops to the low 40s and, even after a slothful indulgent Christmas season, it never really climbs into the 50s.

Altitude calibration happens automatically if you start near a point that you've previously calibrated. However, I've heard friends complain that if you take a long pause in the middle of a circuit, it doesn't automatically recalibrate when you resume. So, if you regard your round trip to work as one long out-and-back circuit rather than as two separate circuits, the Garmin doesn't recalibrate when you leave work in the evening. If the weather has changed during the day, that can lead it to think that you've fallen down a mine shaft or climbed to the top of a skyscraper.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all
it seems my fear has been realised and that asking a question about the differences has made this thread have a very techy feel to it. I understand all the altitude issues and for how i would use it then i think i dont really need the higher model than the 310.

oh and jonty, whats your marathon time? 175 bpm for 2plus hours is way out there for most people - unfortunately i think i fall into the category of 'most people' Sad but i do still get it up into the 180's for a minute or 2 at the end of a 10k run - i do feel nearly dead though Very Happy
snow report
PJ, - it`s low 2`40`s.
The last marathon in which I recorded my HR was Berlin a few years back (2006) - it averaged 172.
My max HR was just under 200 at the time.
As I get older, my max HR is reducing by a beat or two a year. I`m probably down to about 190 -195 these days (haven`t done a MHR test for a while).
MHR isn`t a particularly good guide to speed. Lactate threshold and VO2 max provide much better indicators of potential.
ski holidays
jonty, jealous!!!
I was averaging 6m/ml's for 10mls when i was late teens/early 20's and did a 4'27" 1500mts when still at school..sadly the years have passed and age has slowed me down...a lot. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy