Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flows

Poster: A snowHead
I'm highly considering getting some Flow bindings (probably pro 11 fr or pro s fr). For people who own/have owned Flows, how have you found them? Any major problems? Do you prefer straps or Flows, and why?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tried them for the first time this year, still got mixed feelings about them. I did work out that I had them too tight at first but I found it a real pain in the butt to adjust them. Once riding they suited me but then I'm still riding like a wus with a lot of Achilies pain so I couldn't push on too hard.
Sometime this summer I'll get my finger out and replace the outer clamps with toe-ratchets to make adjustment and tension changes easier during the day.
But on the whole, I don't think they're any better than a good set of straps. I did find in wet conditions it was hard to get my boot in as the lining of the Flows and the surface of my boots didn't slide. Dut I'm soon due for a boot change anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excuse a word from the other side: Wink I skied (that's right skied) with a boarder with Flow bindings for a couple of days this season and I was impressed with the speed he could release or step into the bindings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I could see them being tough to get into in wet conditions. Also, what model/year did you have?
And Pete Horn, I have some skier friends who I'm sure would appreciate me switching to flows Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeh,i've often wondered how to get into Flows in deep powder.Had a sitch last week when i had to De-Board in deep stuff,swim out & Re-Board again.I imagine this could become a pain as of the rear entry & the bindings filling with snow under the overpad,or whatever's it called.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was wondering if in powder you could sort of lie on your back nad put your legs in the air, strapping in with the board over your body? Might not be possible though.
Also, another question: I have size 11 boots (soon to be Vans BFB boots), should I go for XL or L flows? I of course want a snug fit, but would larges be to small (on the pro 11 fr or pro s fr, if that makes a difference)?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ponder, That's a question that can only be answered in a shop Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
True snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What ... How to put flows on in deep powder ? wink
Though Mr Pond's answer does congur up an image!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Simon (Mr T), putting Flows on in deep powder is very easy, you just have to face into the slope. What I do is to face in, bang the board down in front of me a few times to make a stable base, then clear snow from the front binding, kick in my front foot and do up the binding, then stand on the board and do the same with the rear foot, then do a super graceful heelside turn and you're off!

I do like the convenience of Flows (esp when with skiers) but the main benefit is that they are super comfy and I get less foot cramp. I am thinking of trying to demo some strap bindings with cap straps next season just to see what they feel like, but I still think that Flows are a great idea.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers Tony.I've often wondered about the method.
I just buggered up my old straps & will be looking for new bindings.The Flows have always interested me,but its always been that prob & the weight of them,thus i want the team ones as they are the lightest.
Now its down to ebay again.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unless you're carrying the board (hiking), I don't think binding weight is too big of an issue. Swing weight (weight of the tip and tail) does make a difference, but binding weight does not contribute to this.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ponder, Tell that to my hernia!
Flows are HEAVY!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I decided, as a 57 year old grandmother, to take up snowboarding, I decided it absolutely had to be Flows, having spent a day at Milton Keynes struggling with some crappy strappy things. The 17 year old, very helpful, lad who sold me boots, and the bindings, actually told me, with a straight face, that I might find they weren't too good on rails..... I have yet to put them to the test on rails (imagine!) but I just love them at my basic level. However, it is tempting to have them done up too tight and cut off the circulation through those veins on the top of your feet. And the only way to adjust them is indoors on a carpet, with a drink at hand.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was a Flow fan for years but have just recently given up on them.
ski holidays
There's no right or wrong, it comes down to a personal preference. I go for comfort and quick clipping in which is particularly advantageous when riding with skiers. The heel lift comment in the link. Never had that problem. That is down to ill fitting kit or not adjusted properly. In the past they have looked like slippers and not as cool as straps, but the new 2006 range are much more stylish.

I do concede that they are bloody heavy though!!!!
latest report
Pretty good summary. Unfortunately, I'd be buying a 2005 pro 11 to save money Sad . Ugly little bugs, but if they seem to work well with my boots in the store, I'm gonna get them (well, order them on-line for less $ snowHead ).

Edit: heh, there's a filter that turns b-u-g-g-e-r-s into bugs
ski holidays
I purchased some Flows on the very last day of the season up in Avoriaz, got a great price for them originally costing about 150 squid i picked them up for about 80! i had been thinking about getting some having seen others use them, they just looked so quick! epecially as i have a tendancy being in a group of skiers. Im still yet to try them out, i feel a trip to the snowdome will be needed!
snow conditions
I used to use flows but switched to straps for a couple of reasons:-

1. I found them difficult to put on firmly first time especially in deep snow. However, I have got very weak knees and no cruchiates so I can't "kick in" firmly

2. they also seem to loosen off during the day more than straps.

benefits of straps

1. Can easily loosen and tighten them while sitting on the side of the piste waiting for the others.

2. Lighter but have never really noticed apart form when people tell me.

I also slide with skiers but if you are on the lift first in the group and start putting your back foot in straight away I am ready to go while they are still fiddling woith poles. Failing that I catch them up in a few seconds...but like all things the more you use them the quicker you get.

Ultimately I feel more secure in my stap bindings then I did in my flows.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy