Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sagesque advice required :D

Poster: A snowHead
I appeal the collective wisdom of the snowheads. I'm starting to get the ball rolling on the plans for our ski trip in January.

We have been to 3V and PDS in the past few years and I'm thinking about going to Italy, Val Gardena. I am a bit worried about the snow in January and also I ahve read a few things online that suggest the runs are very short in comparison the those in the big French resorts.

So, give me some advice. There will be 8 of us, young people, love to ski lots, all day and quite fast, fond of a good drink and a party wink where would you suggest? Are my fears about Val Gardena justified?

Any advice would be appreciated. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Livigno.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold wrote:
Livigno.

cheers, I will have a look Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Are my fears about Val Gardena justified?

No, it'll be fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was going to mke my usual suggestion of Monte Rosa ski, Champoluc but january is probably too early to get the best out of it. Val Gardena should be fine, and has longer runs than other Dolomites resorts. Arguably its more similar to the French Alps than other parts of the Sella Ronda, and I think is a good place for a first visit. They have great snowmaking there so snow on piste will not be a problem, and January isn't the time to go looking for extensive off piste anyway. You'll notice the price difference, and have shorter transfers than Livigno
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain Haddock wrote:
I was going to mke my usual suggestion of Monte Rosa ski, Champoluc but january is probably too early to get the best out of it. Val Gardena should be fine, and has longer runs than other Dolomites resorts. Arguably its more similar to the French Alps than other parts of the Sella Ronda, and I think is a good place for a first visit. They have great snowmaking there so snow on piste will not be a problem, and January isn't the time to go looking for extensive off piste anyway. You'll notice the price difference, and have shorter transfers than Livigno

Thanks for the advice. I'm relatively new skier and I stay almost exclusively on piste. I've heard the lessons in Italy are a bit cheaper than in France. Also how does the booze and food compare? When I was in Italy last spirits were poured liberally without mearures, is this still the case? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mayrhofen, Austria! Cool mountain, and they love a cheeky beer there!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to Val Gardena (Selva) for the first time last March. Food and booze were cheaper than France The pistes were brilliant, especially for intermediates.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mayrhofen (although I love the Dolomites, apres in the Hoff is definitely better).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Selva is cool and has a buzzy atmosphere. The Sella Ronda area of the Dolomites is an awesome place for skiing, views, food and apres. The whole area has fantastic skiing for all levels. There are plenty of reds and some pretty steep blacks (try the men's downhill piste coming down into La Villa) and some great off piste stuff if you are into it. I've not skied there in January. I did ski one Xmas though in a bad snow year (whole of Europe and not just Italy) and enjoyed brilliant (albeit artificial) piste conditions. They have fantastic artificial snow making capabilities, and if the snow is a bit on the thin side in the Alps, I'd rather be there than anywhere else!

I don't think there is a lack vertical? There is a big area to explore using the Sella circuit, 12 ski areas included on the Dolomiti Super Ski pass plus you've got the Marmolada glacier and plenty of decent skiing around Arraba if you want to up the difficulty level a bit.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sean1967, if you like to party then surely Austria would fit the bill better than Italy ??(caveat - I've never been to Selva but to Courmayeur and Claviere in Italy and the apres nothing like that of Austria).
St Anton, Saalbach, Ischgl and Mayrhofen should do the trick quite nicely. Saalbach and Mayrhofen will be cheaper than St Anton and Ischgl.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski wrote:
sean1967, if you like to party then surely Austria would fit the bill better than Italy ??(caveat - I've never been to Selva but to Courmayeur and Claviere in Italy and the apres nothing like that of Austria).
St Anton, Saalbach, Ischgl and Mayrhofen should do the trick quite nicely. Saalbach and Mayrhofen will be cheaper than St Anton and Ischgl.

cheers boabski,

I've been thinking about Austria but I'm worried that the resorts don't have the mileage of the bigger French and Italian places.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sean1967, the ones mentioned have way more than enough to keep you happy. Ive been to St Anton or surrounding resorts around 8 times now and still finding new runs
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sean1967, if apres AND decent skiing is what you are after, and you are also looking at Austria then I'd definitely second the recommendation of St Anton. Ischgl and Zillertal (Mayrhofen) are also decent too. St Anton is party town plus loads of skiing with the circuit to Lech, Zürs (linked by bus) and Stuben.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
juliad wrote:
sean1967, if apres AND decent skiing is what you are after, and you are also looking at Austria then I'd definitely second the recommendation of St Anton. Ischgl and Zillertal (Mayrhofen) are also decent too. St Anton is party town plus loads of skiing with the circuit to Lech, Zürs (linked by bus) and Stuben.

thanks for all the advice guys
latest report
sean1967 wrote:
So, give me some advice. There will be 8 of us, young people, love to ski lots, all day and quite fast, fond of a good drink and a party wink where would you suggest? Are my fears about Val Gardena justified?

Big ski area + (young people / cheap) + Big bars + Bigger clubs = Sauze d'Oulx Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I love Sauze but I am reluctant to reccomend as snow record is not brilliant, we stopped going after 5 or 6 trips because of that.
snow report
sean1967 wrote:
boabski wrote:

cheers boabski,

I've been thinking about Austria but I'm worried that the resorts don't have the mileage of the bigger French and Italian places.

Saalbach, Anton and Ischgl have more than enough to keep you happy, plus the apres is pretty epic in all of them. Anton's the best for offpiste if that's of consideration, Saalbach probably the best for piste skiing although doesn't have quite the same snow record (not that I've ever had a problem there), Ischgl is somewhere in the middle, but more expensive and with more focus on 'proper' nightlife.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy