Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An extra * or ski in/out - which would you go for ?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from a Danish TO pulling out of Italy (due to being bought out by a French TO), we have been offered all the rooms in the 2 hotels they had booked for Half Term 2011, but we only need 1.

Ain’t it always the case, you wait for ages for a hotel to come along then 2 turn up together wink

Anyway,
Hotel A
4* - 300m from slopes, V nice with pool, wellness, posh dinners, etc.

Hotel B
3* - ski in / ski out right by the piste, still V nice but no wellness centre.

Both hotels will be sold at the same price, so that's not a factor.

So
An extra * or ski in/out ????

Any thoughts ????
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski in / out every time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely ski in/ski out!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne, I'd pick Hotel A assuming the 300m was a flat walk I could do in boots.....reason being the kids had a pool last year and loved it, nice retreat for them and others in blizzards, whilst the boys stay out to play...

Can you take 50% of the rooms in both?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not that bothered - but given the choice I would go for Hotel B. Wellness centres are not my thing - and the 4* hotel is probably over-pretentious for a ski holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, how do they fit with the other hotels you offer? I guess i could look at your website and check...
But if all the other are near the slopes but don't have the spa, maybe Hotel B rounds out your offering nicely
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I would opt for the 4 star option, but I reckon most skiers would opt for the ski in ski out option
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
300m isn't too far to walk to the lift(s) - but what is the uplift when you get there? Is it just one cable car with possible long queues at busy times - or several fast 6 pack chairs?
If you don't think you'll need to queue for long, I'd go for the 4* option.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting. I usually prefer 2-3* when skiing, as I like seeing around me people who are focused on skiing, rather than on a posh holiday (over-pretentious as achilles says). But at the same price, for a change, I may well opt for the 4* with pool (though I'm not so much into posh dinners). 300m is not a long distance.

Arno raises a good point, compare with your existing offer. And then choose a) the one that complements it, b) the one that is in line with the remainder of your hotels...not helpful, I know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
Can you take 50% of the rooms in both?

Not really - this only works if we get the larger discount available by taking exclusive use and we don't want to book any more after this - for logistic reasons (ski hire, staff, transfers, etc)

Arno wrote:
Wayne, how do they fit with the other hotels you offer?

All our hotels are about the same

Dubaian wrote:
what is the uplift when you get there? Is it just one cable car with possible long queues at busy times - or several fast 6 pack chairs?

We are one of the few resorts (that I can think of) where there is more capacity for uplift (in two 6 man gondolas) from the town than there are beds available in all the hotels. So (even at New Year when it's crazy) you only ever wait about 5 mins max ( and that's for the Dutch people who just "have" to be the 1st on the slopes every day) and most of the time you ski down / walk up to the lift and get in. There are 2 cable cars up from the town.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 24-08-10 9:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski in/out every day of the week.

If someone want to use the wellness centre they can go to it when they need it. I doubt very much if the wellness center will be use twice a day by every guest, whereas everyone will benefit twice a day from ski in/out convenience. It will be a much bigger draw for a much wider selection of punters.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
B
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
B
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:
I doubt very much if the wellness center will be use twice a day by every guest, .

I know I put this in another post but I can't find it on the search. So sorry for repeating.

Not sure if this is the same accross Europe for Brit skiers ????

I asked my mate last year (he owns 2 of the hotels that we rent and his kids our in my level 5 class) about Britis using the suana, spa, massage, etc. He told me that on most day "not one single person" was in the spa when it was all Brits in the hotel.
Strange that as many people ask about about spas when they book, but when they get there they don't use em.
Puzzled

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 24-08-10 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski in ski out every time! Which resort as that makes the biggest difference of all!
snow report
Pools and saunas are one of those things that sound nice when you're booking, but when push comes to shove you're usually too knackered/busy/drunk to bother using them. That's what I've found anyway. I've been in loads of places that have had a pool but the total number of times I've used them is zero.
ski holidays
Wayne, I think it's because one often has a choice of drinking or spa-ing before dinner, there's not time to do both. Personally I choose the spa, but most Brits wouldn't. wink
latest report
A without kids, B with.
latest report
Hurtle,
For next season, as we have exclusive use of all the hotels that we use, I have printed signs (and this will be in the information pack that clients get when they arrive) saying the swimming costumes must be worn at all times in the all spa areas.
I think (may be wrong) that European style spa's tend to put off some Brits. I came to this conclusion after to talking to lots of people on our trips. As we have predominantly families as clients, it does seem to be a concern

Will post the results.
The "statistics" NOT “photos” - Shocked - yeah I was waiting for the comments wink
latest report
Wayne, again not me, I think it's revolting to sweat into a cossie, but then I'm not a 'true' Brit.
snow report
Wayne & paulio, on the occasions I've stayed at placed with the facilities I've used them a couple of times at best, and even then only the pool and the sauna. The rest of the time I've been out enjoying myself.
snow conditions
Wayne,
Quote:

Strange that as many people ask about about spas when they book, but when they get there they don't use em.

There was some UK industry research into booking trends (by Amex ifirc) and the presence of leisure facilities came out as one of the top 'needs' but when asked about usage it came out near the bottom, (with trouser press and mini bar no doubt) Laughing

For me nearness to the lift is king! Toofy Grin
snow report
So, using this completely non biased selection of input which has been rigorously tested for incorrectuositys wink , we arrive at…..
Ski In/Out - 4* - on fence

Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 24-08-10 10:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wayne, Meaningless without factoring price/profit wink
Also I guess there is a reason the hotel 300ms away felt the need to build a 'wellness' centre and thre hotel by the lift didn't Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 24-08-10 10:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Extra *. I prefer to stay in villages, with somewhere to stroll in the evening and choice of restaurants and bars. An extra few minutes to the slopes is neither here nor there for me. I also like a room in which I could swing a cat, should the fancy take me.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Wayne, Meaningless without factoring price/profit wink

and since when did you last hear anyone in Thomas Cook asking for the P&L sheets of a club 18-30 hotel in Ibiza
latest report
proud to be on that fence Smile
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Extra *. I prefer to stay in villages, with somewhere to stroll in the evening and choice of restaurants and bars. An extra few minutes to the slopes is neither here nor there for me. I also like a room in which I could swing a cat, should the fancy take me.

Baby shaking kiddy fiddler etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B wrote:
A without kids, B with.

I think Colin has hit the nail on the head, without kids goto bar, with kids, goto pool, one/two adult supervises, others goto sauna etc.

This is what we did last year and it worked so well we are going back, so Brits with kids were in the spa every day!
latest report
laundryman wrote:
I also like a room in which I could swing a cat, should the fancy take me.

ok - chart updated
Ski In/Out - 4* - on fence - swing & cat to be provided

ski holidays
the 4* (for the pool)
snow report
4* if the grub is better. Ski in ski out seems to be a particularly British obsession and IMO is a recipe for premium priced but substandard accomodation. In some instances it actually puts you in a very difficult location for nightlife etc.
snow report
ski in /out... some much less faff if you want to pop back for an hour.
snow conditions
Ski in/out and walk across to the other hotel with your towel and use their spa anyway Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Like fatbob, says, it would depend on the location of the ski-in , ski-out hotel. If it is near to shops, bars etc, fair enough, but if it stuck halfway up a dark piste with poor access to the village I wouldn't be interested. I'd probably go for the 4* for the better food, and the spa. It's certainly a good selling point as far as my apartment is concerned.
latest report
4* .
snow report
4* if it is actually nicer.
ski holidays
I snowboard so I don't mind walking.
300mtr is nothing and for me it is an essential warm up!

So option A - 4*
A nice balance between village center and slopes is the best.

However if I have to carry my girlfriend's skis or would have kids I might be tempted for ski in/out.
snow report
That fence looks jolly nice but ....

I like a sauna after skiing to stretch my ageing muscles but resort pools tend to be very small and so full of screaming kids that it is usually not possible to do anything other than immerse yourself in water which you can do in a bath in your own room (which also helps with the muscles).

Ski in/out often tends to limit where you ski in the afternoon as there is pressure to always ski back to the hotel thus having to make your way to the correct area for the "home run". This is OK if there is only one main slope back to town but most places have a few runs back down the valley meaning you either have to walk or catch a bus anyway so the ski in isn't such a bonus.

In this case, if the 300m is really 300m I'm voting for the extra star.
latest report
I'd go for the 4 star if it really was 300m, and it was flat. More than 300m or up or down a significant hill, and I'd go for ski in/out.

We do tend to want to use swimming pools and generally appreciate a better quality of accomodation, but then without seeing both it is hard to call it.

Some people when they search will only consider 4 star - I've certainly run searches where 3 star is the minimum I'd consider, but then the star system is really crap for ski holidays as often it is the little stuff that wouldn't make a difference to their rating that we really value - like ski in/out, or a centre on site for ski/boot stuff, or bars and restaurants nearby.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy