Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

iPads and skiing/holidaying: one reviewer's experience

Poster: A snowHead
This report by 'Boris' on The Next Web covers his experience of using the iPad on vacation, with some useful technical comment, and some additional reader comments below:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/08/24/the-ipad-vacation-experience

Quote:
Even for my skiing trips I always ended up lugging my MacBook Pro along because I wanted to watch the movies we made during the day and of course I would then spend the evenings in some bar with free wifi doing some, very important, work.

This year was different. I am now the proud owner of an iPad.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are there many snowHead with iPads then?

Personally think they are a bit too precious to pack into your holiday kit. I wonder if RyanAir will start charging extra if you've got one on board?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh dear. Another Apple thread. In The Piste has well. Hey ho.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never in the field of human technology has so much been charged for so little functionality
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John, you need to step back and think a little more deeply.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moronic fanboi wrote:
Vodafone Hell - Although I had upgraded to the International ‘Deluxe’ version of the iPad subscription (with 200mb a month extra roaming space) and had checked the Friday before if everything worked the inevitable happened - It didn’t work.

..snip irrelevant waffle...
moronic fanboi wrote:
So, all in all I spend the first week mostly without an internet connection, waiting in line to talk to a Vodafone helpdesk person.

Er hello it has wifi so just go find a hotspot and get on with it if you're so dying to be connected rather than wasting the first week of your holiday on hold to Vodafone..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i got one without the 3g business, they're dear enough without paying for the priviledge of receiving a monthly bill. use it for watching films etc during travels. dont bother with the wifi travelling as am looking for actually less layers of communication on business trips ( rolling eyes ), but it's handy at home for a quick surf or whatever
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we've just taken ours on holiday and have the 3 network roaming broadband dongle for web access on the go. it costs something like £15 for 30 days broadband access in the uk, and cos hubby's unlocked the dongle, we bought a swisscom payg sim and had access at around CHF4 per day. we're planning on taking it to norway in december and hoping we can get a local broadband prepay/payg sim there too.

the ipad's great if you want to look something up quickly e.g. like train times and costs whilst you're on another train somewhere. he also used it to keep up to date on his rss feeds as he would've had loads of articles to read when he got home.

the only drawback we found was that i had to email pics to hubby so he could send them on via email.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, uh huh, done that. Now tell me what functionality the iPad (currently) offers that isn't available for much less wonga in any number of other devices (other than quick power-up and admittedly very funky design).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John, no. The iPad's been done to death, and if I thought its value for money were that great, I'd have one already. I merely wanted to point out the hyperbole in your "never in the field..." re-working. What it does for a week's average wage would have been considered astounding a decade ago, never mind in (say) 1940 or 1840.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sherlock235, EEEPC does all of that, has a webcam and real keyboard thrown in, runs multiple windows, sees Flash, allows you to handle files as you will, and takes little space. For, as Dr John would say, a lot less wonga. I know a lot like it - but the point of iPad passes me by. As does the reason the OP was posted in The Piste. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yes, we had an eeepc on hols with us too (to amuse me whilst hubby was on his ipad) and the time it takes to start up makes it a pita in comparison. the likelihood of us using the webcam on holiday is minimal, and we both like the ipad touchscreen keyboard.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sherlock235, each to her own. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My eee notebook is ideal for me when I go away. I back up and post photos and videos, use any of my windows applications on it, use wifi to access the web, email, etc, use the webcam to skype my daughter and for her to skype her mum when she's with me. All for £230. It easily slips into my hand luggage too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, we like the tech bubble we live in tyvm Laughing .
snow conditions
laundryman, fairy snuff, good point well made.
latest report
When the iPad was announced I was convinced that Jobs had had some sort of breakdown. Too little technology for way too much money. Now I'm coming around to the idea of owning one. I sit on the sofa with my Android-based phone nearby. If something piques my interest on TV or in discussion I'll use it to get on to IMDB, WikiPedia, etc to find out more. My laptop is only a few metres away, but I can't be bottomed to go and use it. I also use my phone's web and email features when I'm away. I have a netbook - it's not as convenient as using the phone while out & about, nor is it as convenient when sitting in front of the telly. An iPad, though, is.

I'm waiting for Samsung's announcement re. their Galaxy Tab next week, and if it ships in the UK by mid-October I'll get one, otherwise I'll pitch in for an iPad before I go to Cuba in October.
snow conditions
Golden Rule in IT. Never buy 'Version One'
latest report
Not regretted picking up my iPad in June. It will certainly be coming away with me next skiing hol, even without internet access there is a plethora of books I can read. Also I can get copies of Powder via Zinio for it Smile

Also, it can play most of my divx/xvid videos without converting, and there's easy apps to convert non compliant stuff (eg mkv) to m4a and add to itunes sync list without even moving off the couch Neh Neh

Not sure how much I'll use it for ski specific things, I'd still rather a paper map to browse and weather reports is dependant on internet access.
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, exactly! Why I like the iPad vs a netbook, laptop (wether that be a windows or Mac one is)

1. It's quiet, no fans, no discs spinning away
2. There is no heat when it's sat on your lap
3. To me, it's easier to browse, read stuff, check mail , IMDB in that format than have a laptop propped on my knee
4. It's faster to startup, read email, surf stuff like hyweljenkins, mentions (test in case last weekend a friend was on my iPad, his wife was on a 'real' PC in the same room, less than 1m apart, friends comment was Wow this iPad is much faster browsing the web
5. Battery life is simply amazing.
6. Is slim enough to 'chuck' into hand luggage alongside a few magazine for protection
7. Doubles up as a really nice photo display screen on holiday.
8. Made a great, silent ebook reader when the kids were sleeping in during the morning on holiday

Take all those things together and that is why I sold my netbook, bought an iPad. However I still have a 'works' laptop that now stays powered off over weekends.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy