Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing in Europe - Where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

i'm planning a three week holiday to The Alps and surrounding areas this summer (August). I'd like to get in a few days skiing if possible.

Anyone tried any summer skiing in the Alps? Any advice much appreciated - Thanks. Puzzled [/b]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also - advice any good campsites or good value hotels / hostels would also be a help. THANK YOU.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Nog, this has been discussed before, try this link
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Noq,

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (c 1977) I spent a couple of weeks as a teenager summer skiing in Zermatt. We would get on the first cable car up at 7am, and would be done by 1pm, at which time we would walk back to the village from one of the upper cable car stations, and along the way we would stop and make a picnic lunch of local bread, cheese, salamis, etc. It was really great, and I would highly recommend it to others.

I would offer you my photos but back then all I took was color slides (what are they?) Haven't looked at them in years. I have however been back to Zermatt twice since then and enjoyed the same runs all over again. I did get a bit freaked out though during my last trip when skiing up at Schwarzee and saw what was left of the old dilapidated/no longer used cable car station. I felt like Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes coming across the remains of the Statue of Liberty.

John Cacavas
http://cacavas.com
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not la Plagne, Val Thorens (closed indefinitely), Val d'Isere (installation of snow canons) or l'Alpe d'Huez (lack of snow on glacier and installation of snow canons on the Sarenne. That leaves just the big two in France: Tignes (snow canons already installed and much needed this year for skiing if not by the environment with a 35 year record low snowfalls on the Glacier de la Grande Motte) and les Deux Alpes.

Boarders seem to like Saas Fee and Zermatt at least looks nice unlike the French two. There are also the big Austrian glaciers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, are you sure about La Plagne? Not so long ago they had been hoping to open for 3 or 4 weeks in July...

By the way, are you still up this way next week?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nog, I'm a bit late spotting this thread ............ Les Deux Alpes is the widest skiable glacier in Europe - not as long as Tignes, but the town and surroundings are much more attractive. You can camp very reasonably at Venosc (www.venosc.com) from a big site with swimming pool and so on to a little peaceful riverside site without much in the way of mod cons. Lots of choice. Also masses of apartments here at rock bottom prices (so long as it's not August).

If you want any more info look at www.les2alpes.com or www.easiski.com or you can PM me. I live here! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nog, I agree with Easiski, LDA was an excellent days skiing in July/August. If you only do one day, we skied on Saturday and it was relatively quiet being changeover day for the teams. We stayed in Serre Chevalier and drove over for the day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having skied/boarded on most of the European glaciers i certainly prefer the Austrian ones. Kaprun,Solden,Hintertux,Stubai,Pitztal and Kaunertal have given me many a fine mornings snow sports. Another of my favourites is Val Senales in Italy where last year we had about 10cm of fresh snow in August.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiied in Zermatt last September. The snow was hard to start with, but slushed up by 2pm finish.
Factor 20+ suncream was needed!
The men's Alpine teams from Switzerland, Italy, Austria & Slovenia were there training, as were both the men's & women's Canadian freestyle teams. Made for merry banter on the cablecars up to & down from the glacier. Shock
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My only experience of summer skiing (Zermatt, slightly post dinosaur age) is that it is an extremely expensive waste of time. Flat, wet, muddy. Fantastic views, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forget skiing the Austrian Glaciers any time beyond July. The skiable area in Kaprun, Soelden, and Stubai is about equivalent to what you would get in a snowdome! The only one that is even slightly worthwhile is Hintertux, where you can usually ski from the top of the Gefrorene Wand down to the middle station. I would spend my money elsewhere if I were you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tignes was ok from mid to late August last year, but earlier in the month is not ideal... I have skied in Les Deux Alpes in both July and August - with an early start you can get in some reasonable skiing up to lunchtime, plenty of other activities in LDA in the afternoon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm with PG, I've been to Tignes over the August Bank Holiday weekend for years, always fun, always variable.....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy