Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First timer - just got home from Les Deux Alps

Poster: A snowHead
First post, so hi. Seems like a nice, friendly, useful forum you have here. Very Happy

I've just got back from a week in Les Deux Alps, my first attempt at skiing. Absolutely loved it and I'm hooked now, already planning the next trip. The instructor thought I had the level of a skier in their third week, after only one week. He was probably just being nice.

I struggled a bit with the generic hire boots, so i'd really like to invest in a pair of my own. Any tips?

I would also like to get a pair of second hand skis at some point. I enjoyed a bit of off piste and a few jumps over the last week, so what sort of ski should I be looking at?

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, mods feel free to relocate me.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-04-10 12:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feast, i can't offer you any help on ski info, but welcome to snowHead and your new addiction. well done on the skills.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Sherlock.

I think I pulled off the 'heli 360' twice in a week. So I'm not sure my skills are 'mad' just yet..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Feast, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead He wasn't necessarily just being nice - some people learn much quicker than others. Yes, get some boots, and get them properly fitted. There are lots of threads here about boots, and some very knowledgeable people around. If you live anywhere near Bicester, have a look at http://www.solutions4feet.com/ Lots of people on this forum, including me, have been very pleased with boots fitted by Colin, who is a member of the forum (as CEM).

I'm sure I won't be the first to suggest that it might be better to wait before buying skis as you will probably progress very quickly and soon want something different. It's easier to hire good skis than to hire good boots, and they do cost a lot to take with you, if you fly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Feast, Glad you had a greta time. There's an Equipment Questions section on here - here's a LINK FOR YOU TO CLICK ON to make it easy for you to find it wink . You can demo skis at indoor ski slopes, so you get a good feel for various ones. There is also a buy/sell section on here for when you think you've got a bit of a better idea about what you want.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers Pam & Shim.

I live in Sussex, there appear to be a few good shops around for boots. Is Snow and Rock worth a go or is the more all round nature of the store likely to mean I don't get a good level of service? I'll be sure to check out the equipment questions area. Thanks for the links guys.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feast, there used to be a good place in Brighton. Haven't been there for ages though, can't remember the name. It's a bit hit and miss with snow and rock.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Feast,Welcome to snowheads. I Dare you to ask the question should I buy boots in resort, or in the UK?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

there used to be a good place in Brighton. Haven't been there for ages though, can't remember the name.

pam w that has to be the best bit of advice ever on SH rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiger2 wrote:
Quote:

there used to be a good place in Brighton. Haven't been there for ages though, can't remember the name.

pam w that has to be the best bit of advice ever on SH rolling eyes

Laughing

I think its ski and snow. But don't quote me on that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's Surf & Ski (in Regent Street) www.surfandski.co.uk .Haven't bought from them though. A trip to CEM is definitely worth it. I live 12 miles north of Brighton and it takes a couple of hours to get there but IMO it's worth the trip, but call Colin first and make an appointment as he's a busy guy. Profeet in Putney are also recommended on snowHeads, and a bit closer to you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Feast, Either go to CEM or if coming back here go to Jacques Sports and see Cedric on the day you arrive. Don't just chance it at a ski shop, this is too important to risk not getting it right.

glad you had a good time on our hill, and glad you got back OK. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Feast, Welcome to
snowHead snowHead

You have entered the forum post season. Almost..

Why not try the Apre section?

It is fun. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the skis, I'd go reasonably short and wide, hard to give a more exact measurements when we don't know your size. The width should help in the off-piste, the length (or rather shortness) will help for landing any kind of jump that involves a kick or a spin, naturally. Trade off between the two and voila. Unfortunately thats probably the catagory of skis you get the least discount with s/h, at least using the avenues I am aware of. But as others say, go for the boots first, and don't skimp on a pair that feel natural.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers for the replies everyone.

Phil, what/where is CEM? Excuse my ingnorance. You're right Phil, it's ski and surf, they seem really nice in there, been in a few times.

Easiski, do you live out there? I really loved the slopes and the resort. My mates took my down the really narrow green service run on my first day, ploughing all the way!!

Esco, I'm 6, 3" and 11 stone. God knows what that is in Euros?!

Andy
ski holidays
Feast, CEM is Colin's SnowHeads user name. He not only will recommend the right boots for your feet, but will make any adjustments to them so they fit you correctly, (as should any reputable fitter). His contact details are in this extract from Pam's message above:
Quote:
If you live anywhere near Bicester, have a look at http://www.solutions4feet.com/ Lots of people on this forum, including me, have been very pleased with boots fitted by Colin, who is a member of the forum (as CEM).

Easiski indeed lives in LDA. She is an independent ski instructor and imho is one of the best ever. As she said, if you're going back there and want to buy, Cedric in Jacques is your man for boots (pretty much next door to Hotel Melezes). One of the group I went with had bought from him 3 years ago and had this year developed a sore spot on his ankle - Cedric did a modification for him without charge.

What nice mates you have - that long green you mention is long and quite unforgiving on the legs especially ploughing all the way! I prefer to take a lift down the final bit. Laughing
ski holidays
Butterfly wrote:
What nice mates you have - that long green you mention is long and quite unforgiving on the legs especially ploughing all the way! I prefer to take a lift down the final bit. Laughing

Cheers for the clarification Butterfly.

My mates hadn't been to the resort before, so just assumed it was a normal green run. They then took me down the floodlite after that. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Butterfly, Not only did he adjust Richard's boots at no charge, but he's not convinced he sold them to him in the first place! I thought I remembered Richard getting them, but Ced doesn't think he ever stocked that model!! Shocked

Feast, that green (the Chemin des Demoiselles) is more useful for good skiers than beginners. Yes, as mentioned above, I live here. Very Happy Having to return to the UK for a month at the end of the week though. Sad Have you checked out the Snow reports thread from LDa? Lots of pix to remind you.
snow report
In about 6 or 7 trips to LDA I've never done the Chemin des Demoiselles top to bottom. I really try to avoid it as its so narrow and gets so busy although I've done various bits of it. Mind you my daughter and the other kids favoured L'Y and Diable at Easter which presented other problems.
latest report
Feast, welcome to snowheads. LDA is a resort I visit quite a bit - partly because it has easiski there - and, like Butterfly, I think of her as one of the best instructors around. I also think the local French very friendly. I echo the comments regarding CEM in the UK, and Cedric at Jaques Sports. Both are excellent, and also honest - they won't do work or sell you something unless it's right for you. One problem with LDA for beginners is that the slopes mostly get steeper towards the bottom of the valley. Demoiselles does get overcrowded, and other slopes can get skiers on them who cannot cope - Valentin springs to mind. As you gain experience there are some options which can be delightful (I think my favourite last run is L'Y, but it is a black). In poor, or , overcrowded conditions think about using the lift to the bottom - I sometimes do.
latest report
easiski wrote:
Butterfly, Not only did he adjust Richard's boots at no charge, but he's not convinced he sold them to him in the first place! I thought I remembered Richard getting them, but Ced doesn't think he ever stocked that model!! Shocked

My buckles definately need moved in a notch for starters, I had every single buckle as tight as they could go last week and the amount of movement I was getting was daft Forward, back, forward, back aaaargh!!!
snow report
Feast, welcome to snowHead s
easiski, I had boots from Cedric 3 years ago at the PSB (not Richard E) - and they have required no alteration whatsoever Very Happy
Feast, I took my wife to CEM (from Fareham) - it was at the end of the season and his stock levels were a bit low - and he was honest enough to admit that he didn't currently have a boot to fit her, and sent her on to Lockwoods in Leamington Spa.
latest report
Feast, welcome to the site from me too Very Happy

I'd like to echo all of the above Toofy Grin
latest report
I really didn't like the Chemin des Demoiselles, as a result, I got the red gondola down quite a bit, as Achilles suggests.

How does LDA compare to other French resorts, in terms of the nature of the slopes/types of run?
latest report
Freddie Paellahead, I have had boots from Cedric too, at the last PSB, and they've been fine, but I have noticed this year that they are becoming very sloppy around the heel.
ski holidays
Feast, LDA is quite challenging compared to a number of other resorts. Many of our blues would certainly be coloured red in most other places I've been to.

However I disagree with achilles, in relation to most beginners (not you clearly). the slopes in the village are really extensive, and given that most beginners don't get up the mountain till day 4 or 5 there's a super progression for them. There's also a really nice green down the end of the village going through the chalets (see several photos). Having said all that I do think that the 2/3/4 week skiers can be a bit lost as many of our runs are really quite difficult and the 'travellers' do not like our mountain at all! There is an almost unlimited amount of off piste runs available from lifts, however you might need a bit of practise in the meantime. I have never thought it was a really big problem to download onto a lift for the last bit, indeed I find it quite relaxing! Very Happy
snow report
easiski, fair comment - I forgot about the nursery slopes at the bottom. Been away too long. wink
snow report
'Travellers'? Puzzled

Easi - Do you think I was doing well to be completing reds on the third day and in the snow park by the fifth? Maybe I'll have to go back and you can give me some lessons? snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Feast, I think easiski means those who like to travel to other villages, etc as part of their skiing day. Only a couple of runs in LDA to Mont de Lans and Bons.
latest report
Feast wrote:
Cheers for the replies everyone.

Esco, I'm 6, 3" and 11 stone. God knows what that is in Euros?!

Andy

Same as me then. I'd be looking at 170-180, with as much surface area as you can get (for yuor off-piste) without being too heavy (spins etc). I'm desperate to try out the new lighter Line 172's, personally (Prophets I think they are called), as I've had good experiences with Line for durability before, essential if your going to be falling on jumps! Most old skoolers will point you to above 180 though I'd guess, but its down to personal preference. It's certainly all terrain skis your looking for, and avoid anything 'racer' style like the plague.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Very interested in the comment about your heels as mine have gone to feel the same. Great boot otherwise but last time I used them I felt it was affecting how I skied. I don't want to buy new boots. Can anyone offer a possible solution?

Thanks
latest report
Feast, very glad you're hooked and have the bug!! Sadly only skied L2A glacier in Autumn, would love to ski the rest of the resort!

Another vote for CEM's Solutions 4 Feet for boots. Smile Mine fit fab, I had to have custom footbeds too.
snow report
Quote:

Bons.

Everyone should ski there, I can recommend a good guide...
latest report
Ahhh memories of LDA, skied there as a student whilst at Grenoble Uni. Then went on to do a season in the 3 Valleys.

I skied from the 28th October right through to Begining of May, great season that one.
latest report
Feast, welcome to slushnuts, glad you liked LDA, it's one of my fave places and I've only been there 'off season' and I'll add another rec. for Colin @ solutions4feet. A great chap (that places me!) and dam good at his work . . . a Master. . . . just don't get between him and a pie Shocked
ski holidays
snowbo, I don't know who instructed Feast, but esiski (who has posted in this thread) has a highly-deserved excellent reputation on snowheads.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy