Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HA HA HA HA...

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/_TpBokZ-8ic&feature=related

brilliant!

funny thing is, my and a mate did the exact same when skiing off piste at Cairngorm in January... i slid away with a burst lip!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok, so who was at fault.
ry answer, both of them as neither had any idea of what was going on outside their direct line of vision.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 2-08-10 15:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well that vid is funny, but some folk get badly damaged that way and it's evident in that case who's at fault.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pale blue jacket is at fault... faster skier coming from slightly behind crashing into someone who doesn't look the most confident.

Still funny though! Blush
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pale blue jacket seems to change her line more and was slightly the up hill skier with the better line of sight, but only marginally. Both as bad as each other though in reality,

otherwise the one with the headphones in wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, agree, neither looking around at all, very harsh to say it's one's fault more than the other.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

and it's evident in that case who's at fault

Actually both could have and should have avoided it. 55:45 in my book. And either one of 'em might have wiped out the cameraman by trying to stop in front of him. Brainless.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Both an example of why more experienced skiers ski the fall line at the edge of crowded slopes. Is it so hard to maintain a basic awareness of what's going on around you?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

very harsh to say it's one's fault more than the other.

I disagree. The one who came from the right is very clearly skiing faster and overtaking - starts off quite a lot higher up the slope. It is absolutely NOT the responsibility of the "skieur aval" to keep looking over their shoulder in case some out of control nutter is heading their way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to agree with pam w, on this one, the skier on the right in light blue is at fault, to make it worse she is looking directly at the other skier when she skis into her.

But with her feet so close together she could not have turned away even if she tried to Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
was she showing off for the camera?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
None of them had helmets, they're both at fault..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/BGJelaEEcPg

http://youtube.com/v/Jid8vX1ch0c&feature=related

The second one may be a setup. It has that look about it. Note that the people in the first are unhurt (I'm not a complete Fitzwilliam).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That second one made me laugh!! Im not sure about it being staged, looks a bit dangerous really. Just spotted your location gorilla, nendaz? Is that linked to Verbier? I looked at a chalet there for last season but went back to my trusty and well known Portes Du Soleil. Does Nendaz have good access to the slopes and skiing? Whats the night scene like etc? Cheers.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not entirely sure in the sx video why she thought it was a good idea to turn back into the line to stop haha Smile
ski holidays
Kruisler wrote:
Congratulations, you are the first person to mention the H word. The very scenario where I think (without the help of a survey) people think an "H word" would be essential, and yet the footage neatly demonstrates the torso taking the impact.

In my view, who is a fault here is irrelevant. If you were the girl on the left just slightly ahead, you should also be aware of what's coming into your peripheral vision from behind and take action. Lying there in a pool of your own blood and brain material and not being at fault isn't really useful.
snow report
gorilla, set up or not, that second one is genius
ski holidays
"he almost but does not quite land properly"... discuss...

http://youtube.com/v/P0lhMWaenCg&NR=1&feature=fvwp
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, unfortunately I am no longer in Nendaz due to real life interrupting. I can confirm, though that the skiing is as good as the nightlife isn't. There's a range of Nendaz/Verbier trip reports from Swirly and BobinCH in the trip report section that give an idea of what we got up to.

Arno, inspired, isn't it? I particularly like the way you think the oncoming twin tipper is going to nail the camera man. The misdirection is worthy of Hitchcock.

In a bid to stop this degenerating into a helmet thread, I also found this:

http://vimeo.com/groups/snowboarding/videos/3510398
latest report
This one still makes me laugh out loud - slapstick gold
http://youtube.com/v/jR1XGahKLJU

But this one gets my 'what are the chances?' rating
http://youtube.com/v/0E5z5tCM8VU
snow report
It's not a real crash unless you end up in a bottomless crevasse

http://youtube.com/v/0E5z5tCM8VU
snow report
Zero-G, that first one is the best ever - and I'd lost my link to it, so thanks!
snow report
Kruisler wrote:

If they were wearing Helmets they would of definitely had no awareness (seeing, hearing) of each other Shocked
snow report
gorilla, Leaving aside the unfortunate ending, that's a lovely bit of film IMV - makes me wanna be there NOW!!
ski holidays
Zero-G, your first one is my all time favourite ski crash clip. Never tire of it...!!
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Kruisler wrote:
Congratulations, you are the first person to mention the H word. The very scenario where I think (without the help of a survey) people think an "H word" would be essential, and yet the footage neatly demonstrates the torso taking the impact.

In my view, who is a fault here is irrelevant. If you were the girl on the left just slightly ahead, you should also be aware of what's coming into your peripheral vision from behind and take action. Lying there in a pool of your own blood and brain material and not being at fault isn't really useful.

my comment was tongue in cheek... wink

Both girls here are about to ski and pass right close to guy filming. If we want to be thorough that's a first mistake on both parties as if you wipe out (on your own or helped out by other another skier) you could possibly take the guy filming down. Had they had a bit more speed they indeed would have..
I agree they are kind of both at fault but the one on the left is clearly not all that good and the one from the right, who does look a better skier, should have realised this and should have known better than to cut back the first one's line so close in front of her..
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:
i managed to spot that all on my own. And you should never ski with your tongue in your cheek.
snow report
if either had had a helmet on it is likely that one of them would have ended up with 'teeth in cheek' Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
all i was looking for was 3 valleys off piste and came across this...

dejavu!!!!

http://youtube.com/v/USIKYc4eYiE&feature=related
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Kruisler wrote:
i managed to spot that all on my own. And you should never ski with your tongue in your cheek.

Embarassed
snow report
pam w, shoogly, rayscoops, Dr John, Bode Swiller, it's the flippin cameraman's fault for stopping right in the middle of the piste! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I blame Gordon Brown Very Happy
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
pam w, shoogly, rayscoops, Dr John, Bode Swiller, it's the flippin cameraman's fault for stopping right in the middle of the piste! Evil or Very Mad

is this from experience wink
latest report
Quote:

I agree they are kind of both at fault

I still don't see how it can be the fault of the girl on the left, who is skiing slower than the other, and who doesn't do anything particularly whacky which would detract from the guilt of the faster, over-taking skier.

Since when has it been the duty of a slower skier to look over their shoulder and make a last minute move (not easy for a beginner) to avoid an overtaking skier? Sure, if you happen to see someone, and you happen to have the skill and presence of mind to do a little jink, and if that happens not to take you into the avoiding path being taken by the other skier, good luck to you. But it's not something which faster skiers have any right to expect. It's something you read now and then on snowheads, where people blame "slow skiers zig zagging all over the place" for impeding their Olympian progress. It's like finding ways of absolving the guilt of a car driver who slams into the back of the vehicle in front - a sin for which there is no forgiveness.
latest report
pam w,

Yes the one on the right is initially coming from behind but when you look at the video they are actually level for quite a few seconds before the crash. The remain seconds to the crash should be enough for both skiers to become aware of each other
Then they just turn into each other... Bad luck/mistake from both in my view, although as said the one on the right, being the better skier, should have known better than cut back towards the other one and give her a wider berth.
ski holidays
Quote:

they are actually level for quite a few seconds before the crash.

I don't see that that makes much difference. The one on the right remains the overtaking skier. There's bound to be a short time when they are at the same level, or there couldn't be a crash. Just a few seconds earlier she's a lot higher up the slope - no question at all that she's faster.

Are they together, do you think? and were they performing for the camera? If so, then all three of them are dopey.
ski holidays
Reviewing it again (slow lunch time), I reckon the fault is 70/30. Plus I don't think the girl on the right is all that good a skier, because she appears to see the crash coming but can't seem to react to it. There's plenty of time there for an anchors out emergency stop but she carries on going. Both a bit dozy, let's be completely fair.
snow report
they were both heading to exactly the same place from roughly the same position relative to each other on the piste so no one was really overtaking as such, the were both heading to the same stop position and were focussed on that for the camera rather than on each other. All they needed to do was look around slightly rather than look at the camera.

ban cameras on the piste and save lives Little Angel
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

they are actually level for quite a few seconds before the crash.

I don't see that that makes much difference. The one on the right remains the overtaking skier. There's bound to be a short time when they are at the same level, or there couldn't be a crash. Just a few seconds earlier she's a lot higher up the slope - no question at all that she's faster.

Are they together, do you think? and were they performing for the camera? If so, then all three of them are dopey.

The way I see thing differs from yours in that you think the right hand skier is overtaking at speed throughout the video, where as I think the right hand side skier quickly catches up the left one at first but then they stay level and maintain a similar speed and roughly parallel course until at the end they turn into each other and crash. The left hand skier actually stops zigzaging more or less and picks up speed then makes a (shallowish) turn to her left. A mirror image of the other skier, although I do admit the latter's turn is sharper.

Ultimately, yes I think the guy/camera distracted one or both of them hence them not seeing each other..

So basically I concur with mr 'scoops.. Very Happy

Disclaimer: I'd like to point out that very occasionally I'm wrong.. wink
snow report
Right... that got a different reaction that i thought it would from posting it...

Sooooooo... who's at fault here then?

http://youtube.com/v/H20jrHv9p-k&NR=1&feature=fvwp
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy