Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing, what clothes to take !!!

Poster: A snowHead
I am off to Tignes at the end of the month for Mountain Sun's 3 day Adrenaline Trip, there won't be much adrenaline rushing for me though, as I have changed the white water rafting etc for extra days skiing, 3 mornings on the slopes is part way compensating for the loss of the holiday in April, the rest of the day we will no doubt amuse ourselves with the Tignes Sports Card.

My dilemma is............what ski clothes do we realistically need to take ?, my friend advised me, full ski wear, just like I would have done in winter, is it still really THAT cold on the Glacier in July ??, obviously, I will check the forcast before we go as I know full well how changeable the weather can be, but I did kind of think I may be able to get away with a lighter jacket, if the kids gets too hot, I already know who will end up being the pack donkey Madeye-Smiley

Thanks for any ( sensible Madeye-Smiley ) help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use one/two layers plus shell jacket. Lots of people ski in T-shirts/hoodies, but I like the jacket in case the wind gets up. You shouldn't need thermals, lightweight gloves will do and you can generally do without a hat though I'd take one anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pippivixen, Every one skis naked during the summer!

As Lizzard, says above Temp are normally high enough -1 - +10 on occasion with wind being the main source of discomfort.

A good Shell jacket, Long sleeve base layer (For under shell or on their own) lLight gloves, Sunglasses / Googles, Jumper/ Fleece

Enjoy
snow report
 brian
brian
pippivixen, as for valley level in April, you could get anything from a blizzard to t-shirt weather. Be prepared!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fattes13, that would be one way to clear the slopes if I do that !!!!, the pictures on the Tignes.net summer skiing section are not helpful, they have skiers in bikini's !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fattes13,
Quote:

Every one skis naked during the summer!

But don't forget to wear a helmet wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm currently in LDA - I brought my winter jacket but have not needed it. I have been wearing a soft shell with/without a micro-fleece & soft shell gloves. I've worn my winter salopettes (breathable); they were too warm today though when we skied down to 2600m. Other than for skiing I have been in shorts/t-shirts or light trousers with a fleece later in the day - the weather has been similar most days this week - hot and clear am, then cloudy with rain/thunderstorms in the afternoon. There are no guarantees what your weather will be of course!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Quote:

Every one skis naked during the summer!

But don't forget to wear a helmet

Or protect your helmet! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Assume it'll be like a middling cool sort of winter day, in terms of what clothes to take up. Make the kids take a backpack for a spare layer. After all, if it wasn't pretty wintry temperatures up there, there wouldn't be any snow to ski on, would there? Little Angel With luck, you might get some nice fresh snow! (I've had snow at our apartment at 1500m in early August one time!)

You should get a pretty reliable forecast each morning, to fine tune your kit.

Have fun.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another thought - you can do like the racers and take your boots up in a backpack. A roomy pack is useful so you can stuff in the bits, to avoid broiling yourself when you come out the bottom of the funicular.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pippivixen, A shell jacket should be fine but you should take layers just in case + hat + goggles. Regular trousers are fine. It's usually warm and sunny, but you can get blizzards or high winds! It might even snow - you never know. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't forget that you will be starting early in the morning. Most resorts stop ski-ing by 1pm or something similar....i.e. when it starts getting warm Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JanA wrote:
Don't forget that you will be starting early in the morning. Most resorts stop ski-ing by 1pm or something similar....i.e. when it starts getting warm Sad

Erm - I think you'll find it starts getting warm much earlier than that. Most glaciers close when the snow gets so slushy as to be really annoying. But the reason is not skier discomfort, rather preservation of the snow on the glacier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pippivixen, It can be cold, and it can be warm. If you are not too fashion concious we have ski clothing (pants and jackets) in the chalet so you could use some of that if necessary. Up to you. I've skiied in powder up there in August before ... but it's rare! All fun though.

Looking forward to meeting you.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brithday suit
ski holidays
Joanne Mountainsun, likewise, my Daughter has asked if cut offs would be ok ( below the knee ) or should we be sensible and have full length trousers.

narc, I wouldn't fancy the burns when I fell over and as I am having surgery the following week, I really wouldn't want to be in the position of explaining tothe surgeon what those odd marks were !!!!
ski holidays
pippivixen, I don't remember seeing people skiing in cut offs, or many of them in ordinary jeans type trousers. Though I suppose most of the people up there were racers, in full gear. We wore ordinary ski trousers. One morning was searingly cold - it was a cold day anyway and the wind was high. The boardwalk outside the top of the funicular was covered in ice. It was a very inhospitable morning. Anyone without a full range of cold weather gear would have been confined to the café.
latest report
Well Val Thorens at the EoSB at the end of April it was soft shell trousers and soft shell jacket for me. I'd managed to forget my thermals so just wore an ordinary wicking t shirt under the jacket and was plenty warm enough. But as J M says it can get cold in the mountains any time of year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

But as J M says it can get cold in the mountains any time of year.

that's the point, isn't it? In the high mountains the weather is totally unpredictable - it can be freezing in summer, or summery in summer. And it can change very quickly. It's no use trying to decide weeks in advance what you're going to wear. You need to be prepared for a variety of conditions and keep an eye on the weather forecast.
snow report
Thanks for all your help, in the end I took everything to accomodate anything !!!, my Son ended up borrowing a pair of ski trousers from the chalet, my Daughter wore my salopettes which I took as an emergency incase I was hot and I wore leggings with Gortex waterproofs on top. None of us ended up too hot or cold !! we all wore ski jackets as they were all breathable but waterproof. It was a nice couple of days we only skied the first two days as the fog / rain / poor visibility on the Thursday would not have been much fun, but what we did, we enjoyed, the Tignes card is Fabulous value, if anyone else goes out in the summer, make sure you get one it is FOC and gets you loads of activities, it was also great trying to work out the ski runs when they has no snow on them. I have foot surgery on Wednesday ( 4th ) so not sure when I can get out there again, but hopefully, very soon.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy