Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for buying first ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I really need some advice about buying my first pair of ski boots. I've been on three skiing holidays and I have 3 booked for next year and really want to have some comfy boots (had a really uncomfortable, smelly one's in Feb!)

I was in the intermediate/advanced ski school last time and can do parallel turns.

I have tried quite a few different boots on. I am wondering if womens boots are generally made for shorter people (I am 5ft 9and a half) and have always been given mens hire boots. Do they give a bit more support for taller people on the shin?

The most comfortable pair that I have tried on so far are Nordica gran sport with the walk mode (I think these are made for wider fitting feet/legs) Any body have any thoughts about these?

Any good advice would be appreciated.
Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
muffin!, as I understand it (and I am not a professional bootfitter, they are your best bet for advice) women's boots can be shorter in the leg because women have wider calves at a lower point than men's legs. This is certainly true of me. Although I am tallish at 5'8", the bootfitter that advised me recommended a shorter boot due to my wide calves.

So, to reiterate the point, get thee to a bootfitter and get the right advice. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello & welcome to SH!

I'll second the "go to a bootfitter" advice. Which one depends on where you live of course. Mine came from Ellis Brigham in Castleford (Leeds) who gave me good service (they have an expert fitter called Julian if I remember correctly). However as I have a slightly misshapen ankle and a flex problem due to an old injury, I later went to Colin Martin in Bicester (Solutions4feet) who is the Snowhead called CEM. He worked magic on them for me. Hopefully he might spot this thread and give you some info here.

It is also possible to find a good bootfitter in a resort, but I'd do that on recommendation rather than randomly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
muffin!, welcome to snowheads. snowHead It's a good time to be thinking about getting your own boots - you're obviously hooked on skiing. You're presumably a female - lots of good hire shops have women's boots, seems a bit duff to be always given men's boots. As QB says, women typically have wider calves lower down than men do.

The trouble with buying skiing boots is the ones that are comfortable right "out of the box" are almost certainly too big for you - but too small isn't good, either, and many of us need some fiddling and twitching to get them right. You don't need expensive or high end boots, you just need ones which are a really good fit for your individual feet (and ankles/calves).

Many of us, including myself, have been pleased with boots fitted by Colin at Solutions for Feet. http://solutions4feet.co.uk/ If that's too far from you, ask here about somewhere convenient.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go and see Colin in Bister!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bicester even!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
muffin!, welcome to snowheads.

There's a sticky at the top of the equipment section: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20110
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thankyou everybody for your advice!
Mel x
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
muffin!, dont be a stranger once you have your new boots, let us know how you get on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whilst womens boots tend to have different graphics, and be a bit softer, the real difference is they have wider calves. This is because the female muscle sits lower on the leg than the male, and hence they tend to have proportionaly wider calves in a ski boot.

If you can get a reccomendation, go to a boot fitter on your first holiday.
This will allow you to go back each evening for adjustments, if necessary.

The first thing a fitter should do is check the shell size of a given boot for you.
They will take the inner boot out, and get you to stand in just the shell.
If they don't do this, leave.

Get a moulded footbed, end of story.

After this, there are only 2 things that really matter, fit & flex.

The boot should gently but firmly hold your foot, you should be able to wriggle your toes.
When you walk about in the shop your heel should only lift a cm or 2 at the most, ideally not at all.
Modern thermal moulding boots are excellant, and individual pinch points can be delt with afterwards.

Its less of an issue in womens boots, but critical in mens.
Don't get a boot that is too stiff.
If you can't bend your ankles, you won't be able to ski properly.
Whilst you don't want something too soft either, a very significant proportion of skiers have boots that are too stiff for them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mmm......

well i wouldn't want any heel lift when flexing a boot at all, lifting the heel a cm or more is either a sign of a poorly fitted boot or a limited amount of ankle flexion... either one can be sorted by

1 changing boot if it is poorly fitted boot
or
2 dealing with the lack of flexion with either heel lifts or selection of a more appropriate boot in terms of net forward lean, both along with suitable stretching exercises to lengthen the calf muscles and allow more flexion of the ankle joint

remember that many people stress the need for loads of ankle flexion... you only actually flex your ankles a few degrees within a ski boot, the key is having the available range of motion in the joint to enable you to flex the boot by the desired amount without compromising either the biomechanics of skiing or or comfort of the skier
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
on the ankle flex subject , here is an article I wrote a while back (aimed at racers but equally important to recreational skiers) http://www.solutions4feet.com/files/ankle_flex_article.pdf
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy