Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boys Trip want to try somewhere new after 3 years in the 3-Valleys

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

Planning our annual ski trip for 8 or so 40-55 year old intermediate male piste bashers in late January or early Feb. By intermediate I mean we have all skied one or two weeks for plenty of years and like to be challenged, but prefer the comfort of a piste.

We have skied the 3-Valleys out of Meribel for the past three years and are looking for something with a bit more soul. The area needs to be extensive enough to keep us interested for a week, have good atmosphere and decent mountain restaurants. We like to be catered having left our wives at home for the week.

Nightlife is not essential, we ski from 9 to 5 with a lunchbreak, and a bottle of wine in front of a fire is quite enough nightlife for us!

I am thinking about St Anton or Selva, but I would welcome any other suggestions of what should be on our shortlist.

Thanks for your ideas in anticipation...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton would be a great choice but Zermatt would be top of my list.

Great skiing, incredible scenery and fantastic mountain restaurants.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

We like to be catered having left our wives at home for the week.

Laughing
Zermatt sounds terrific. Infinitely preferable to Meribel, I'd say!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Portes du soleil, Rachel and Dean at www.mountainhighs.co.uk or try PMing Dallypaul for outstanding accommodation both are great
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our boys trip is to Les Arcs every year for past 5 years: decided on La Tania / 3V in 2010 ( albeit familys continued in Arcs).
How about a role reversal for you guys?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DavidYacht, Zermatt will score right at the top for "soul", extensive area and decent mountain restaurants. It also has fabulous scenery. Cost and range/availability of chalets will not score so highly - some friends stayed in a VIP chalet there which was good.

As per under a new name you will surely be able to find some great chalets in the PdS and it is a huge ski area. Not sure about soul (Morzine maybe?) and we've not found any great mountain restaurants although there must be some in area that big. The main downside for PdS in my opinion, is that it is pretty low, although Avoriaz seems to get decent snow depths and end Jan/start Feb should be pretty reliable.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Espace Killy would seem an obvious choice, base yourself in ValD has more soul than Tignes imho
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DavidYacht,

Sounds like you are wanting a break from France. St Anton is great but in saying you ski pistes this would have to mean 'High alpine ski route' which are the St Anton equivalent of Itinaires, well marked but not pisted or covered by piste only insurance. Otherwise St Anton diminishes considerably in its attraction.
Would agree with Zerrmatt. Ischgl and Verbier are both pretty good though if nightlife is not your bag Verbier can be done considerably cheaper and just as pleasantly from Nendaz.
A personal opinion is that the skiing holiday experience in Espace Killy and les Arcs is not that different from 3V if you are loking for a change.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DavidYacht I have been part of a similar group, travelling at a similar time for many years (we never seem to get any better at skiing and definitely get worse at staying out all night drinking) and have done all of the big 3 resorts a number of times (Verbier, Val D'Isere, and St Anton). IMHO the on piste skiing is best in Val (and Tignes of course), Apres ski in St Anton is legendary and has to be seen to be believed but I personally prefer Verbier for the all round package of great piste skiing, reasonable apres ski (live bands in the Farinet and dancing on the bar is enough to entertain us these days along with a couple of pool tables in Big Ben's) and some raltively easy challenges to push yourselves a bit (Mont Fort, Tortin etc).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

St Anton is great but in saying you ski pistes this would have to mean 'High alpine ski route' which are the St Anton equivalent of Itinaires, well marked but not pisted or covered by piste only insurance

I'm a bt confused. 285km of pistes and 180km of ski routes = a lot of skiing to keep most folks amused for at least a week (not even taking into account the off piste). Even the ski routes are more often than not pisted, with the exception of the black routes. In fact I would argue that SOME of the ski routes are easier than some of the pistes.

Love St Anton and have been going on boys trip there every year since 2003. Cracking area to explore and apres is fantastic. Have you thought of adding Saalbach or Ishcgl to the list?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DavidYacht, Forgot to add that if nightlife not your thing but decent meal etc is, you could try eithetr Hotel Mondschein or Hotel Hubertushof in Stuben. Part of the Arlberg circuit but cheaper base than St Anton and deserted slopes on your doorstep
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski,
Quote:

I'm a bt confused. 285km of pistes and 180km of ski routes = a lot of skiing to keep most folks amused for at least a week (not even taking into account the off piste). Even the ski routes are more often than not pisted, with the exception of the black routes. In fact I would argue that SOME of the ski routes are easier than some of the pistes.

Yep not explained very well by me. should have said 'would have to include high alpine routes'. Don't think St Anton would be very interesting without these.
I would agree that some of the ski routes are easier than some of the pistes but from memory they make a distinction between two different types of ski route one of which is sometimes pisted and usually pretty easy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar, must be the heat. Pretty sure the red routes are pisted (not daily) and the black routes are left alone, which I can testify to this year Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Snowheads, and please keep the suggestions coming.

T-Bar is right that we are probably looking for a break from France.

So if we follow the advice we are looking at St Anton, Zermatt or Verbier all of which look like interesting prospects ...

So my next question has to be, can any Snowheads recommend and Catered Chalet operators in these resort, or specific Catered Chalets for around 8, convenience to the main slopes is probably more important to us than proximity to night life?

As a trade I can thoroughly recommend Chalet Sorbier in Meribel operated by Ski Cuisine.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
For intermediate piste bashers wouldn't the Skiwelt or Amade or Dolmiti superski be more appropriate?
latest report
Quote:

8 or so 40-55 year old intermediate male piste bashers

Ischgl fits the bill.
ski holidays
DavidYacht, If you're restricting yourselves to catered chalets near the piste, you'll need to dig around for St Anton (although there will possibly be some at the Nasserein part of town - try this site http://www.stantonchalets.co.uk/search_results.asp ). We've never done the catered chalet thing for St Anton as we tend to book independently. Flight to Innsbruck, private transfer to resort and an hour later you're there - no messing about waiting for coaches or other flights. Some of the guys regularly stay at the Hotel Post. A couple of us stayed at Haus Angelika this year which is probably best location in St Anton - only b&b though. Plenty opf eating options in St Anton from cheap pizza joints/tex mex to fine dining (restaurants in the ski museum and the wellness centre get fantastic reputaions). Can't help on the catered chalet thing though
ski holidays
DavidYacht, how about Cervinia?

And for a real different recommendation, not sure what you mean about soul, but you could also try the Monterosa ski area, perhaps stay at Champoluc in Italy as well, this old review calls it 'The other three valleys'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/sep/27/top100skibreaks.italy
ski holidays
DavidYacht, as a regular visitor to both I'd say Zermatt fits your criteria better than Verbier (the big attraction of Verbier is the off piste). It's also easy to get to from Geneva airport by a very picturesque train journey starting along Lake Geneva.

Here are some pics of Zermatt http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62294

Here's a site for Zermatt chalets http://www.zermattchalets.co.uk/search_results.asp
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kitenski, whatever he means about soul, I'll wager Cervinia doesn't have it. wink

Zermatt is wonderful but for someone used to the 3Vs could fail on the piste-bashing-linkage (although I haven't been since the Furi-Gornergrat link was put in which should make things a lot better in that regard).

I'm surprised some of the regular Austriophiles haven't arrived here.
latest report
I don't think that the "piste bashing linkage" is the be all and end all ... looking at the Zermatt piste map there appear to be two or three discrete areas, presumably each of these would keep us busy for a day or so, especially if we checked out Cervinia for a day.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
DavidYacht, undoubtedly.

Definitely scores max on the mountain restaurants front. Be picky about location, the village is big and spread out, some of it a long way from the lifts. Everybody should go there at least once though, so might as well be now.
ski holidays
I'm going to be slightly heretical and say that I wasn't that impressed with the piste skiing in Zermatt. The village is amazing and beautiful, the scenery astonishing and apparently the mountain restaurants are excellent (I suspect I didn't chose well for the 3 places I sampled during the week). But for a world class resort I thought the piste skiing was decidedly average. Disjointed and a bit samey, served by a lift network which had some very dated bottlenecks. I was also sick of clumping around the village in ski boots by the end of the week as ski-convenient it understandably isn't.
snow conditions
brian, Cervinia may not have soul but it does have Chalet Etoile, the best mountain restaurant in the Alps! One of the pleasures of Zermatt is being able to pop across the border and enjoy a fabulous hot chocolate, Osso Bucco and bottle of Chianti on the Cervinia side. The pistes on the Italian side are also great for cruising in the sunshine.

With the new link all the areas are now linked together and can be accessed from the Kleine Matterhorn gondola. For piste skiing it's much better than Verbier, where once past Siviez its just a procession of drag lifts.

There's something special about Zermatt - I agree with you, everyone should experience it.
snow conditions
Supertravel have some fantastic chalets in St Anton and the food and wine is top notch! We've stayed in Rosanna for the past two trips and its great, although a good 5min walk to the piste.
latest report
St Anton's ace, but it's the offpiste which makes it, so you won't be getting the most from it. I'd say Ischgl or Saalbach/Hinterglemm.
snow conditions
BTW I dont like Off Piste as I have a huge fear of DYING and have had plenty to keep me busy on a week long trip in St A
ski holidays
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Several of us hit the big 5 0 next year and so are planning to have a special trip. A week in St. A has been mooted and it is on the bucket list.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand, take money and enjoy!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There enough (To many) blokes in St Anton and as clarky999, says its the off-piste which makes it , the pistes just get you to it Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
stanton, they are old (50) they want a fire not skirt chasing.
latest report
Quote:

they are old (50) they want a fire not skirt chasing

Laughing slippers and a pipe!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

they are old (50) they want a fire not skirt chasing

Laughing slippers and a pipe!

The they should got to Scotland Very Happy
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, stanton, Don't you believe it. There's life in the old dogs yet wink But don't want to go anywhere that is just a testosterone fest. After all it'll be bad enough skiing with the lads, I don't want to have to look at their ugly mugs in the bar all freakin' night Evil or Very Mad
latest report
DavidYacht I think you should keep Selva on your shortlist. There aren't many catered chalets there but Ski Total are quite reasonable. The skiing is excellent for intermediates with miles of uncrowded pistes and a huge terrain to cover. The scenery is just brilliant and the food is cheaper than elsewhere. You might also look at Arabba. The famous Sella Ronda is worth doing but is so popular that you may encounter queues. Most of the pistes are not challenging, even those graded black.
snow conditions
I am in a similar situation where I arrange a ski trip for around ten 37-45 years olds each year. We range in ability from very good skiers and boarders to a few (experienced) but yet not too confident stragglers who don’t seem to get any better.

We love our snow but we also enjoy a good meal and a bottle of vin Rouge in the evening. We do tend to have the odd night where it gets a bit silly and some of us lost a ski day last year because of it Wink

I have started to book apartments in the last few years on the basis that we no longer like sharing rooms because of the snoring. Last years I booked 3 apartments in the same floor of a chalet and we had 8 bedrooms for 8 people (we actually had sleeping for 21 people including the lounges so we had loads of space to put our stuff and put our feet up). The cost of the apartments came to £160 each for a week.

We have gone to chatel in the last few years on the PdS and it has been absolutely brilliant. There are several good restaurants with one (can’t remember the name) being as good as anything I have been to on a ski trip. There are also 2-3 very lively bars if you do decide to be silly.

The skiing is excellent and is one of the biggest areas in the world. Super Chatel is right on the outskirts of the PdS and although you can ski to the main ski areas very quickly not many people make the trip to Chatel so you have one of the emptiest and best ski areas you will ever see. The only thing that works against it is a high % of drag lifts if you are on a board (me, drat) but for skiers is it fantastic.
If you get sick of the drags just ski round to morgine, morzine and avoriaz.

I will definitely be going back next year for the lads ski trip and cant recommend it high enough.
snow conditions
This is an interesting thread as it fits with what I am looking for.

I love to eat up the mileage and look for challenging Reds/Blacks, so Three Valleys is brilliant for that. I have also been to Les Arcs and La Plagne and both of these are excellent for the same sort of skiing.

However I too am looking for something different. The obvious choice is Espace Killy, but have also considered PdS (too many buses, too low?) or somewhere which isn't France, but I have to admit to being clueless outside of France. St Anton looks good but I've heard it is very expensive.

What does anyone think about Alpe D'Huez, does that fit the criteria?
ski holidays
kosciosco, I've not been to st Anton but it's hard to believe it could be more expensive than the 3 Valleys!
snow report
I started this thread and neglected to mention that we had previously had two boys trips to ADH. I am a great fan of ADH, particularly in late January and early February. The skiing is very varied with some landmark runs, notably the Tunnel and the Sarenne, there are some good mountain restaurants and although the resort is a bit bland there are some decent bars.

It may be heresy but I think I prefer ADH to Meribel so long as the Sarenne is open, I think this to do with the soul thing!

Ref. St Anton, one advantage of boys trips is that the wallet is a little less tight than a family trip! In our case we are unlikely to rule out a venue because of cost.
snow conditions
St Anton's not as expensive as some of the French resorts from what I've heard other guests saying (having never skiied/boarded in France I can't comment personally).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy