Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New York and Orlando

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Recently went to New York and Orlando, Florida (for my 40th which is today!!). Really impressed with New York and would definitely go back.

However, Orlando was a big big let down. I had always wanted to go and do the theme parks, water parks (because I like things like that). The parks were great (except for the food which just seemed to be junk, although worse than junk!). Other than the parks, I thought Orlando was really really overrated. Everybody kept telling me, before I went, that I would love it and its great. We were staying on International Drive (because we didn't hire a car) and I just thought that International Drive was fully of tacky gift shops. Some of the restaurants on International Drive were good, although the portions of food (both in New York and Florida) were absolutely huge; that's why I've never seen so many fat people in my life!!

I'm not a great shopper (in fact I really don't like shopping). However, we went to some malls (because they were supposed to be good). I bought some shoes and Levi's (which were much cheaper than here in the UK). However, the shopping malls were well, just shopping malls and nothing special.

New York was fantastic. Florida was good for the theme parks and water parks but, other than that, Florida was really overrated and far too hot for my liking!!

p.s. - American Teenagers that you seen on TV and in films I think are really annoying (the most annoying creatures to ever grace the face of the earth!!!) - in real life, they are even more annoying!!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 26-06-10 11:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, Happy Birthday and congratulations on the big one! I adore New York (shopping and all - and I'm not a great shopper either) and would rather stick pins in my eyes than visit Orlando, or Florida at all. So your judgement seems eminently sound to me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, Happy Birthday! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, Happy Birthday - glad you had a good trip - NY certainly worked out well for you and I enjoy visiting there - we have been to Florida a couple of times and not particularly enjoyed it - my favourite US city though is Boston and would go there any day. Our trouble is that son and family live just outside NY so that is where we tend to go, they thought we were odd the other year when we went back to Boston - 'because we like it' was the answer. Enjoy your birthday
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like Orlando but we always stay "In the (Disney) World". International Drive used to be the place to go 15-20 years ago, but it's pretty ghastly now. If you stay within WDW then you can get free transportation to the parks and some of the Disney hotels also do dining plans to make eating in the parks a bit cheaper. You can get some crap food in the parks but there are some reasonable restaurants, e.g. Yak and Yet in Animal Kingdom, Holywood Derby in the Studios and the fab Holywood Grill in the Contemporary Resort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Happy 40th!

I loved New York - it's such a vibrant city. Orlando, Florida and so strikes me as the sort of place that all those fat tossers who think Magaluf is sophisticated, and being on "Coach Trip" would be a dream come true.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins, I am a fat tosser and thought Orlando was awful. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really enjoyed our first visit to New York last summer; I wasn't expecting to enjoy it too much but much to my surprise I loved it. Will definitely go back one year. But I also love visiting Orlando so I'm not sure where that leaves me in the sweeping insults game.

jb1970, IMO the I.Drive is an unpleasant place, and if that's where you stayed you probably saw the worst of the touristy bits of Orlando. When we've been we've hired a villa, so could easily avoid the gaudy neon, swapping that for our own pool and hot tub, choice of self-catering or eating out, and much more space than we'd ever get in a hotel. Mostly of the food in the parks is of the fast food variety and it doesn't pretend to be anything other than that, and if you choose one of the cheaper chain of restaurants they do seem to compete on quantity rather than quality. But there are plenty of nice places to eat, as PeteMan said. One of the nicest meals I ever had (coffee-crusted loin of pork) was in the Mythos restaurant in the Islands of Adventure theme park, and we've also had lovely meals in the Brown Derby in the Disney Studios and Jiko in Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. Epcot has some nice choices of restaurant, with a wide range of different cuisines on offer, but if you're a real foodie a destination like Theme Park Central isn't a wise choice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh - but you're really wrong about Florida. You have to get off the beaten track. Orlando is a dive for sure but there are places around there that serve great food. Disney is notorious for overpriced junk food for kids.
The west coast is wonderful. Drive down to Sarasota / Bradenton / Venice beach and you won't find nicer - white sands, boardwalks, pelicans, egrets and herons stood on the beach next to fishermen waiting for the scraps. Boat cruises down to the keys. In fact the keys run all along the west coast. There are countless wildlife parks and you can hire boats and kayaks and cruise the inland waterways and see manatees and alligators.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, less of the "tosser"!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy