Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to find next years resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
right ladies and gentlemen, it's time to start looking at resorts for the coming winter.

I will be looking to go away during feb half term ( I know but the mrs is a teacher)

Looking for somewhere for all levels that won't just be one big que for the whole week.

Am I right on thinking that means it's best to avoid all the big french resorts?

Would like peoples recommendations on resorts for me to look at.

There will be a group of 6 to 8 of couples, we don't want anything to quiet, but not after pas de la casa either...,,
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Europe gets rammed.

Go to the States.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjb, for once Whitegold has come up with a good suggestion. If you want to stay closer to home, folgarida.co.uk might be of interest
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What sort of skiing are you after?

I never found Westendorf particularly busy in Feb half term, couple of years since I've been in that period though. You could also try basing yourself in Innsbruck, and sampling a few of the smaller resorts around there - Axamer Lizum, Stubai Glacier, Patscherkoffel, Kuhtai and if you like offpiste Nordkette. Due to their size they never really get busy, there's some very good skiing to be had and you can avoid the quietness by going out in Innsbruck in the evenings. All of the above a reachable easily on free ski busses, apart from Nordkette which you can access directly from the city centre with a furnicular train/cable car system. All on the same lift pass too. Easy to fit in a day or two at some of the bigger resorts nearby too if the modd takes you, such as St Anton, Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel and Ischgl - they do get busy though, although never too bad.

Otherwise it could be worth looking at the Leogang side of the Saalbach-Hinterglemm area, maybe Fiss-Ladis too?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last 2 February half terms I've been to Zermatt and Laax. Zermatt was not too busy at all and Laax this year was almost queue free despite it also being Fasching. In the past I've been to St Sorlin D'Arves a couple of times at half term and although busy It wasn't too bad at all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the reply's

skiing wise there will be a range of abilities, from 1st timers through to experienced skiers.
Not realy to fussed about off piste skiing as none of us venture fare from the ski runs
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Italy a good bet as they won't have same half term problems. Sella Ronda or Monterosa?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My usual reply to this question is:

I have skied both La Thuile and Valloire/Valmeinier at half-term, neither with any appreciable queues and both on a modest budget. Valloire/Valmeinier being the more enjoyable skiing of the two.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjb, I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet Monterosa was this 1/2 term.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about Les Deux alpes? Its a high French resort but has plenty of up lift from the village so lines can be avoided. It has skiing for all abilities from great beginner slopes at village level through to some challenging blacks on the front face!

Night life wise there are plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from. Really everything from a quiet drink/dinner to a big party!

Accom wise you can get catered chalets from all the major tour ops or there are plenty of private options for example the cret hotel, a family run hotel in a central location................depends what your looking for hotel/apart/chalet!!!

hope this helps!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjb, you might want to investigate Kappl. Had a great week at NY with the family. The main gondola was only busy (10 min queue) for 2nd to 4th Jan, thereafter that plus the rest of the lifts and slopes were deserted for the week. Good range of slopes and most chairs have blue, red or black options that meet up - so ideal for mixed group. Just along the road from Ischgl if you want to really party but we found the two main apres ski bars surprisingly good for a family resort. We're going back again this year and staying in Gasthof Alpenfrieden which is right on the slopes - very good value
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjb,

Mrs B is also a teacher, so we know all about being stuck with half term week.

We have made several Transatlantic trips (both Canada and the USA) at half term over the past few years and consistently found the slopes to be deserted by European standards.

We have just booked flights to Calgary for next year (non-stop from Manchester) for £470 each and are looking at a trip to Kicking Horse and/or Revelstoke. Banff is a lot nearer but we went there a few years ago (and it was fantastic!)

We have not encountered any lift queues anywhere other than on Presidents Weekend holiday in the USA, when we've had to wait for up to 5 minutes (eg in Vail and Winter Park.) But after that weekend it was back to deserted runs and no lift queues. The same applied in Jackson Hole, Park City and Alta.

2 years ago we went to Crested Butte and Telluride and for the whole week had the slopes and lifts to ourselves at half term. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister wrote:
rjb,

Mrs B is also a teacher, so we know all about being stuck with half term week.

We have made several Transatlantic trips (both Canada and the USA) at half term over the past few years and consistently found the slopes to be deserted by European standards.

We have not encountered any lift queues anywhere other than on Presidents Weekend holiday in the USA, when we've had to wait for up to 5 minutes (eg in Vail and Winter Park.) But after that weekend it was back to deserted runs and no lift queues. The same applied in Jackson Hole, Park City and Alta.

2 years ago we went to Crested Butte and Telluride and for the whole week had the slopes and lifts to ourselves at half term. Very Happy Very Happy

Makes you wonder the hell US/CA resorts manage to make money/stay open?!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
[Makes you wonder the hell US/CA resorts manage to make money/stay open?!

They sell lots of season & day tickets to weekenders. They own the ski school, on mountain food & bev & ski hire so can monetise any visit & often for destination resorts own or lease most of the accomodation. Midweek just needs to break even on food sales etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It sounds as though a two week, two-base, holiday in the US, using the weekend to travel and take in some other sights and activities in order to avoid the crowds, could be a very good idea. Has anyone tried that? Lift passes are expensive but if you just did 2 lots of 4 days, mid-week, it wouldn't be too bad. Are passes cheaper mid-week? The only time we got close to a US holiday (last minute bargain less than a week before take-off) we pulled out when we discovered how ruinously expensive the lift passes were going to be. Went to Courchevel 1650 instead. Not half term, though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy