Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain restaurants in Les Arcs that are accessible to (older) walkers.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Thought I would ask a question of the collective Snowheads Hive Mind; my in-laws are joining us for our Christmas ski break in Les Arcs, they do not ski, but they are active walkers. I am trying to think of mountain restaurants that they could get to where the rest of us skiers could join them.

I am aware that they could take the Trans Arc bubble and get to the restaurant at the Col de Chal, and have a trip around the ice grotto too, but they would then have to down shift back to 1800 as there is not much walking off the col. I am also wondering if people can walk into the Arcabulle Cafe, pizza is of course a traditional Christmas treat.

I am not a great fan of the Chalet des Arcs as I find the prices near criminal. Does anyone know if the restaurant near the St Esprey-du-Prey chair is accessible off the road (and if the navette stops nearby) ?

Beyond this I guess I could ask them to drive up through Villaroger and meet them at Le Ferme. Also does anyone have any experience of driving up through Montalbert for La Forpette ('cos we enjoy skiing across to there).

Finally, they are 75 and 74 - so does anyone know if they can get discounted lift-passes, and do they need to go to the main ski pass office next to the funni to get these?

Very stoked about getting the skis on in 9 days time, be even better if we could get a big dump of snow before then.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lift pass if virtually free to 71+ (nominal sum of about 7 euros..) --- season pass is 21 euro !! Madeye-Smiley

You need to go to the main pass office, with proof of age (e.g. passport )

info contained here

http://www.lesarcs.com/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/Guide_tarifs_gb_bat3.pdf
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ian Kenvyn, Have a look at this page http://www.lesarcsnet.com/activities/winter/winter-walking-trails-les-arcs.html or if they want to use snow shoes http://www.lesarcsnet.com/activities/winter/snowshoe-walking-in-les-arcs.html.

Mountain walks tend to keep away from skiers and hence their restaurants, but we often see walkers on la Foret snaking its way down to Vallandry. Though not strictly mountain restaurants there are lots of suitable ones in Arc 1600, the likes of Aguille Grive in Arc 1800 and the those at Pre st Espirit (readily reachable by navette, the stop is just outsdide). which you can easily ski down to and meet up

Where are you staying in Les Arcs. We ill be in Arc1600 over at least part of the Christmas/ New year holiday.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get the impression that some resorts positively encourage walkers to use mountain restaurants. Just thinking about it, the majority of the restaurants in the Espace Diamant are accessible to walkers - some have pisted tracks to them (ie only needing walking boots, not snowshoes) and some have just lifts. Some have both, and the restaurants (naturally) advertise their accessability. They needn't write off snowshoes - if they are active walkers they'd enjoy them, and they are pretty cheap to hire.

Gaiters would be well worth taking if they intend doing more than very light walking. And ski poles for balance are useful, too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Kenvyn, I presume they are staying with you in Landry? They could get up to Plan Peisey & walk up to La Vache - they do a nice lunch, & if they are keen to walk, it is en route to Les Vernettes - a lovely walk. There's also Solan by the VE if were going to the other side. All the piste side restos in Vallandry would be accessible to walkers & skiers alike. They could either drive up or take the navette if they wanted.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Kenvyn, There's also Chalet de lArcelle in 1600 which is driveable to & lovely. I'm not sure La Ferme in Villaroger is still running - but I'd be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. YOu may want to check that out before arranging to meet them there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which part of Les Arcs are you staying in?

If you are in Peisey-Vallandry (or they are prepared to drive there), they could take the Vanoise over to the La Plagne side. From here there is a little network of walking trails that lead to various restaurants. Chalet du Friolin is particularly nice - it has a lovely sun terrace - and is about 1-1.5hours walk. It's at the bottom of the Bauches chair. There is also Le Sauget at the top of the Montchavin lift. We walked to both with my parents, who are in their mid-sixties, and not especially fit.

A couple of hundred metres below the mid-station of the transarc is the Blanche Murée restaurant (it's on the Reches piste). This has good, homely food, and is pretty good value. It usually has a wait for tables if you come between 12-2, but the queue moves pretty fast. However, I'm not sure if you can walk to this one - I've only ever been on skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
I am not a great fan of the Chalet des Arcs as I find the prices near criminal. Does anyone know if the restaurant near the St Esprey-du-Prey chair is accessible off the road (and if the navette stops nearby) ?

The navette stops right by the Pre St. Espirit lift (and Belliou la Ferme restaurant which gets some fantastic reviews). There is (or was a couple of seasons ago) a dog sledding place right by there so I'd imagine there could be some decent walks nearby.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Kenvyn, FWIW my dad walked from Vallandry to Arc 1800, took the Bubble up to the Ice Chalet, downloaded on the Arcaballe Lift then a brief walk took the two cable cars up to top of Aguile Rouge - all is marked as pedestrain possible
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Snowheads - I knew you would come up trumps Very Happy Some excellent ideas there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ian Kenvyn, They can drive up to a carpark near the Forperette, (the one you ski past or through) but would have to walk on the edge of the piste to the restaurant. The road up from Montalbert is kept clear to serve the two holiday centres up there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian Kenvyn, I can't think of anything better for some keen walkers than exploring their way to a nice new lunch stop each day - hope you have a great holiday. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy