Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A revolutionary jacket? / shell advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, it's certainly how "The One" bills itself:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1222821517/one-shell-one-outdoor-jacket-for-everything

Would be interested to hear what people think about the various layers on offer? Which layer would you go for (if any)?

For the shell, I've heard of Dyneema in slings and sails but not much else. Not sure how abrasion resistant it is, or how breathable it is but the ventilation looks pretty good and it is ultra ultra light (half the weight of my Arc'teryx Alpha SV) and packable.

The other two layers look more generally practical, if more conventional.

How do you think this stacks up against Arc'teryx/ Jottnar / Black Yak / other shells for skiing or climbing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It looks practical as you say, but I don't like how the outer shell is so crinkled (presumably because it packs down small).. It doesn't look like it'd take much abrasion/snags. Video was a bit poor, but then again kickstarter has morphed into this marketing platform for "premium" products rather than a platform for small start ups that need that funding leg up. Still, each to their own, eh? Smile Pricing point looks alright IMO, for the full set.

Haven't heard of the material, and given how long Gortex has been around I'd be more inclined to stick with what I know at that price point.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The weight comparisons are a bit misleading to my mind - One compared against Sidewinder and Trollvegen Pro when certainly Norrøna make much lighter fully waterproof jackets. A lot of weight differential will be in under arm zips, ticket pocket, inner pocket, powder skirt. Patagonia’s M10 anorak, Norrøna Lyngen Goretex Hoody, or their ultralight bitihorn range would be more comparable as featureless jackets - that are the same weight and price and tend also to use Goretex Active ( don’t know the breathability). I m sure Arc’teryx have a similar SL or w/ever offer.

The “sack of potatoes” look isn’t especially appealing I have to say.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My eyes glaze over as soon as any new product uses "Developed by NASA" (or "by boffins for Spitfires" or "snake-oil").

How come it's "fully waterproof" but still only "water repellant"?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mishmash wrote:
... The “sack of potatoes” look isn’t especially appealing I have to say.

This.

It looks like a simple baggy jacket made out of something which does look a bit different, although not necessarily in a good way. Hardly "revolutionary".

• Mostly you'd need a pair of upper pockets in case you're wearing a shovel pack.
  • No "radio pocket", but useless headphone cable hole. No pockets for goggles etc. Generally the more pockets the better, for flexibility.
  • No snow skirt.
  • The "zip-in-liners" thing has been done years ago by Breghaus and probably others. It seems like a bad idea to me, coupling layers together for no purpose other than sales.
  • Compromise. My bike jacket is brilliant on my bike, but not what I'd want for snowboarding.
  • Only a single cinch on the sleeves; for snow something more sophisticated works better.
  • The cut doesn't look right for cycling (need longer arms, back), and the pockets are in the wrong place for it.

The fabric I suppose you'd love or hate. I've never ripped a Gore-Tex jacket, so I don't need mooted benefits of Dyneema, which makes good kite string and other stuff. The competitor products there look much better bets, although they're oddly chosen - they're really not comparing like with like. You would not ride a [road] bike with a ski jacket, which seems to be what they're suggesting. It's not just about the fashion, it's about cut and functionality.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a light eVent jacket. Nothing original.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's a little more on this:
https://www.dsm.com/products/dyneema/en_GB/applications/apparel.html Click the "Sending it" video.
At 7:20 is a snowboarding segment showing the jacket in use; the earlier stuff is Squamish and Dyneema marketing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like the bit in the video towards the end where he says "Save yourself the money of buying multiple outdoor jackets and the trouble of packing them" whilst trying his best to sell you three jackets.............
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rogg wrote:
I like the bit in the video towards the end where he says "Save yourself the money of buying multiple outdoor jackets and the trouble of packing them" whilst trying his best to sell you three jackets.............

Haha - very true. I noticed this.

Apart from the shell then, thoughts on the under layers? Or perhaps these become a bit pointless if you don’t have the shell to zip into?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's hardly revolutionary and it is 3 jackets - it's like me packing a t shirt, sweater and coat and saying I have one multifunction clothing system in 6 different modules.

Plus the 10 year life is bollux - if you're a trend whore who thinks nothing of dropping $800 on kickstarter on an unproven clothing brand, you'll be awash in the sort of disposal income that will see you changing for more on-trend colours about 4 times in that lifecycle [/grumpy mode]
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
It's hardly revolutionary and it is 3 jackets - it's like me packing a t shirt, sweater and coat and saying I have one multifunction clothing system in 6 different modules.

Plus the 10 year life is bollux - if you're a trend whore who thinks nothing of dropping $800 on kickstarter on an unproven clothing brand, you'll be awash in the sort of disposal income that will see you changing for more on-trend colours about 4 times in that lifecycle [/grumpy mode]

Yes, but your 3 layers don’t zip into each other and are not made of fancy space material Smile

(Actually, on looking I’m not sure it’s clear that all 3 layers are even designed to be worn at once?)

Largely agree with the sentiment though, and it is interesting to see they have hit their funding goal already.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dyneema is extremely abrasion resistant, but beyond that I can’t see many real advantages to this jacket. It’s a bit of a pants name - ‘The One’.

I assume that the 17k target is just a meaningless figure. What on earth would they achieve with such a tiny amount. If,as they claim, 80% of the cost will go on production and shipping then they will be able to deliver a grand total of about 50 basic jackets. They have no plans for distributors or retailers. Seems like a bit of a half-baked business plan to me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy