Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much DID a beginner learn in a week?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Further to the topic asking the question, I can now tell you the answer i.e. where we ended up.

By virtue of background, I previously spent 8 years boarding and recently one day at Tamworth skiing. My partner Sarah spent 2 days bruising her backside boarding last season and a day skiing at Tamworth. Our mate Phil has spent 2 weeks boarding and a day at Tamworth. We have just returned from Courchevel and attended daily classes with New Generation.

Well, we all progressed to differing levels.

Phil - he confidently ski's down anything, parallel with little stiffness. Blacks were no problem for him and he skied every day with his wife who is, I think, upper intermediate. He is extremely courageous and that coverted well into merely having a crack at different things. Quite freakish actually, and his instructor (level 4) was gob-smacked when he was told that it was his first week.

Sarah - plough-parallel and virtually parallel on better snow. Confidence went from about 2/10 to 8/10 as the week progressed and skied down many blues and tackled difficult sections well.She stuck at the technical points introduced by instructors and is better for it.

Me - first run of the week I did a snow plough that didn't work and I crashed into the "wall" of the incredible 31 metre long green piste! Admittedly it was icy but that crash knocked my confidence. Lessons improved matters but I got into the habit of leaning back and up the fall line - not good for skiing! A 2 hour one-on-one lesson sorted me out and after a big dump of snow, on Saturday afternoon was parallel skiing through knee deep powder and going at it as hard as I could manage. Was absoluteley chuffed at the progress and I do say as modestly as possible, the technique I was managing wasn't that of a one weeker. Have to say though, good snow does wonders for the confidence and makes you a better skier than one is.

Nearly cried when I finished my last run and can categorically state won't be strapping onto a board again.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Congratulations for your achievement - escaping the

DARK SIDE!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, knee deep powder on a firm base = hero snow!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, spot on!

Could also call it Junkie Snow.....just want more and more....prepared to sleep in the gutter to get it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad to hear you all made such good progress. I'm intrigued that you're giving up boarding after 8 years to become a relative newby on skis - in what ways do you prefer skiing?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, Good question relative to a decision that was not taken lightly. Some of the reasons:

1) I am now 38 and have 2 young children who I hope will one day want to ski/board. I feel it more likely I will be sliding into my 50's and beyond on ski's rather than a board.

2) I got fed up spending half the day on my backside

3) I got fed up with bindings on and off at the start and finish of every run

4) I wanted to learn a new discipline and from what I have read and heard, will take a long, long time if ever to really learn it. Love the challenge.

5) Sarah was to take on complete beginner-dom, so I decided to join her so we could ski together rather than me bombing off in front on a board.

6) Injuries - had a v.bad fall a few years back and reckon more can go wrong outside my control on a board (arguable, I'm sure)

7) Reached a plateau boarding that would have required more risks for me to progress

Cool Can now use drag lifts, get through flat sections

9) Loved the sensation of getting it all together on ski's, knowing so much work so quickly has gone into it

10) Like having sore feet, carrying ridiculous amounts of equipment and walking like a lunatic!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, Good for you!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, don't forget what a great equaliser ski boots are when it comes to dancing!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, I find any ability that the male of the species has to look cool when dancing goes the day they become a parent. I dance just like my own dad now, never mind the ski boots!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the main roles of being a parent is to embarrass your children. Dancing does it every time. Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, the point is, so does everyone else when they're wearing ski boots. Problem solved.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MartinH, we tried to embarrass the kids by headbanging at my 40th party. They thought it was really great and joined in. But I don't remember not being able to move my neck the next morning when I was 17.
I really worry about my teens , they've grown their hair, and listen to LEd Zeppelin and PInk Floyd. I know we listen to them , but you'd have thought it would have turned the kids to something else. Thank God my hubby doesn't dance like his Dad, wild ceilidh dancing in a kilt!!! My Dad still does a really mean Twist though!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi,

If you are at junkie snow stage now then you just wait until you ski powder/deep snow after a few years or so, you will be doomed to poverty when heli's and tours kick in. You have entered the long and slippery slope. See Kramer post elsewhere about your impending fate
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, I see you've brought your kids up to have excellent taste - supposing they liked gangster rap or some of those hideous manufactured "teeny" bands.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, perish the thought.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy