Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go Feb '11' Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

We have been skiing for the past 3 years to Chamonix in Feb Half term. We Have to go in the half term week because of work commitments etc.

Was just wondering if anybdy could give some ideas on good places to go. Ideally they would be fairly quiet, and cheap. We are all intermediate level skiers!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blah blah half term blah blah you'd have to be mad blah blah avoid France blah blah etc etc.

May I just be the first to say: have you considered Austria, at Easter?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No we have not considered Easter. We cant do that this year though, as most of the party have taken holiday from work. We are planning on Driving, and there will be 6 in the party. Any ideas?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gream0604,

You haven' indicated how many people you require accomodation for?:

My neighbour has a small apartment in my building http://nicetoski.com/16001/221081.html however as you know it's a popular week so you'd need to be quick!

Best of luck
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^^ Just posted before you ... Will need accomodation for 6 people!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not too busy in around here (Ski Amade in Austria) at that time... yes it will be busy and you may have to wait 5 minutes in a pushy line for some of the main lifts but I have never chosen not to go out skiing during these peak times.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you not want to visit Chamonix again, as it's the devil you know? If you've sorted the half term drive down there and want to do France again you might consider one of the resorts in the vicinity, such as Flaine or Megeve. But they won't be quiet - there isn't anywhere quiet at half term in France because it's peak French time too.

A lot of accommodation will already be booked for that week so as someone has already said - don't delay!

If you haven't driven before you'll need to think about timing to try to avoid the worst of the queues, both on the autoroute going down (Reims, in particular) and on the A40 more locally.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its not that we dont want to visit Chamonix, but it would be nice to go somwhere different, and maybe find somewhere a bit cheaper!

We have flown once, and done the drive twice, so thats all good.

It doesnt have to be France either, we are open to other options (Switzeland etc)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gream0604, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39913 ---
Quote:

^^^ Just posted before you ... Will need accomodation for 6 people!
Type faster!! PM sent:
snowHead snowHead Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Given that you already know the area and have done the drive before, go pretty much anywhere along the Aosta valley which is just the other side of the Mont Blanc Tunnel from Cham.

Courmayeur, La Thuile, Pila, Cervinia (in increasing order of distance) will all be fine in terms of not being overcrowded, and you won't have any bother finding accommodation at any of them. Further along is the Monterosa bit, but that's more of a cult off-piste sort of a place than a regular holiday resort.

With the exception of Cervinia, they're all a bit on the small side for a week's skiing - but the lift pass you'll get at any of them allows you to day trip to the others.

Cervinia has the added advantage of being linked to Zermatt, but it's own local slopes are disappointingly flat and boring in my opinion. YMMV.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Okay, these are all considerations.

Does anybody have any other ideas? or good reveiws?

Thanks again
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gream0604, why not have a look at La Rosiere, it will givw you the opportunity to see Mont Blanc from a different direction, the ski area, Espace San Bernardo is shared with La Thuile and even at half term the resort doesn't get over-crowded. There's lots of info at www.larosiere.net and for an example of a chalet holidays and some good views of the are have a look at www.morealps.com We have a chalet in the village and have skiied the area for many years so we are a little biased.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I too am forced to go at half term (wife works in education and has teacher's holidays). We have been to the Dolomites 3 or 4 times (Arabba specifically) and it has been a) quite reasonabley priced and b) not too busy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that the Dolomites are a bit far for us. We are not planning on flying, so would therefore have to dive!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apart from the Aosta Valley, my other half term experience (last year) was in Valmeinier (linked to Valloire).

Dirt cheap, not crowded, really enjoyable slopes (very surprised it's not better know). The Maurienne valley has great potential for day tripping and hopping about between lots of modestly sized areas as well, though we didn't.

Not crowded? IN FRANCE?

Impossible!
ski holidays
gream0604, I went to Laax in Switzerland the last half term, review here
ski holidays
Again, why not Austria, the drive isn't that much more than France, slightly less depending on which ferry crossing you do and no tolls on the German Autobahns.
snow report
gream0604, Friends place will be too small-sorry dsoutar, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39913

Apart from the terrain variety which the GM www.grand-massif.com has in spades, generally you’ll be comfortable with most of the runs as intermediates and there’s plenty to develop your skills and experience too. There are lots of good lifts and queuing is rare apart from one of the dispersal lifts which at half term can mean a five minute wait at the start of the day – that’s it, wait over! You'll also have great views of MB from the top of the Flaine snowbowl which has considerably less ice than many of the Chamonix resorts due to angle/wind bearings.

If you're looking for a family orientated village where you can walk everywhere easily, good varied entertainment for children in the main square most evenings, a growing centre for live acoustic music and enough decent places to eat without bankruptcy then I’d thoroughly recommend Samoens as a base. I am biased, but it really is a fantastic magical place! You can PM to Vermont Powder who spent the season there last year having never been before –she can tell you all you need to know.

I'm on the list above and at the moment currently have half term 12-19 Feb after that I’ll have just one more week to offer as we'll be using it ourselves snowHead
ski holidays
I didnt realise there were no tolls on the German AutoBahns!

Is there any resorts in Austria that are cheap/nice?
ski holidays
gream0604, Murau is a good base -I took my boys there a while back and we had a great time.
snow report
How much further is the drive to Austria - i went on 3 school ski (coaching it) trips in the 90s and never once went to france - we did austria twice and italy.

Puzzled
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen, www.maps.google.com Embarassed 1765KM Leeds -Murau Sad
ski holidays
Mr Technique wrote:

Not crowded? IN FRANCE?

Impossible!

Rubbish, had a day at St Gervais last year mid half term, only had a max 5 min queue at one bottleneck, other times it was ski straight onto the lift, or maybe 5 folk in front of me.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
Jivebaby wrote:
Mattmulkeen, www.maps.google.com Embarassed 1765KM Leeds -Murau Sad

Well we did Saalback which was 1664km Skullie

Seem to remember it took the best part of 24 hours with the ferry.

think i'll stick to flying
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Mr Technique wrote:

Not crowded? IN FRANCE?

Impossible!

Rubbish, had a day at St Gervais last year mid half term, only had a max 5 min queue at one bottleneck, other times it was ski straight onto the lift, or maybe 5 folk in front of me.

Have you heard of 'irony', Greg?
snow report
Flaine in the GM. Nearest large resort by road from Calais (about 540 miles). Extensive skiing, reasonably priced SC apartments. So long as you don't mind ugly architecture.....
snow report
Mr Technique wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Mr Technique wrote:

Not crowded? IN FRANCE?

Impossible!

Have you heard of 'irony', Greg?

yes but others, especially first time readers may well take things literally.....
ski holidays
They might notice the disparity between my deployment of the word "impossible" and the fact that I have cited an example of the very thing I am claiming is "impossible" just above my use of the word "impossible".

Unless your theoretical first time readers are, in fact, mentally retarded.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Own up Greg.

You took it literally because you hadn't read it properly.
snow report
What about one skiing person looking to join other skiers over the half term? Somewhere not too busy, of course, which seems to be possible.
snow report
Quote:

Unless your theoretical first time readers are, in fact, mentally retarded.

Laughing
ski holidays
Anyways, getting the post back on Track ... Does anybody have any reveiws of Montgenevre?

I remeber i went there with school about 6 or 7 years ago. Ski passes seem quite reasonable (144 euros according to the website), and there is some nice accomodation.

Cheers
ski holidays
gream0604, Try this
ski holidays
gream0604,
Quote:
Anyways, getting the post back on Track

I think perhaps we're all on the wrong track= We need more detailed specific information/requirements: It might be easier if you provide the budget and actual dates then we can rule out the xx% of suggestions which do not fit:

You've had some great ideas from SH's so far but no feedback to indicate whether anything so far is helpful or interesting:Puzzled Puzzled

So far we know:
# That you want an alternative to Chamonix
# You have 6 people
# An undated number of days in half-term in February.

To make any feedback worthwhile for you we need:

# Confirm dates required:
# Confirm party make up X adults Y children:
# Sleeping arangements: Bedrooms required + Type Single/Double etc:
# Total budget, indicating whther it includes transfers, accom , ski passes etc. (how many days??) (144€ is expensive for 3 days but very cheap for a week, so cheap you probably won't want to ski there!):
# Do you need child friendly stuff/creche/babysitting/bars/clubs?:

Hopefully that should help you get the trip you desire

snowHead
snow report
Okay ... Confirmed dates are - Leaving England Friday 18th Feb (PM) and Arrive at destination Saturday Lunchtime/afternoon. Skiing from 20th for 6 days, and leaving 26th.

There will be 4 adults, 1 teen? (1Cool and 1 child? (14)

Sleeping arrangments - 2 doubles + Twin/bunks, 1 double 2 twins etc? (2 couples, and 2 brothers)

Budget is around £500pp for self catered accom. (£3000 total). This will include travel (From england), self catered Accom, Ski hire + Lift Passes.

Dont need anything child friendly and not fussed about clubs etc.

Many thanks again, and sorry i havnt been more helpful.
snow conditions
That's a tight budget. Give SnowTrex a try since you're willing to be somewhat flexible on location - they have a lot of s/c accommodation in a lot of places.

All their accommodations are inclusive of lift passes, and they can arrange discounts on pre-booked ski hire.

I've used them twice (for Valmeinier/Valloire and Vaujany/Alpe d'Huez). No real complaints. You get what you pay for though, obviously - don't expect to land in the lap of luxury.

Alternatively if you can narrow yourself down to a resort or two, you should contact the tourism office for a list of private apartments. Often these places are run very modestly with no internet presence etc. and so if you're willing to blunder through a few phone conversations in pigeon French you can get some real bargains. A related tip that I have found useful in the past is to search the net in the native language of your destination rather than "self catering Chamonix" which will tend to turn up the UK-focused more expensive end of things.
latest report
gream0604, Now we're on track!! snowHead snowHead - The dates I offered yesteday were (now we know, irrelevant!)

This is a bit Dragon' Den-ish, but with clarity hopefully as positive process for you: Whilst we are friendly bunch, SH's can also be cutting, acerbic and even sarcastic at times Embarassed Embarassed

I'll have to declare myself out as I only have the 12-19th Feb week left for SnowHead deals which easily hits your target (passes, ski equip + accomodation = around £2,400)

GM tarrif = http://www.grand-massif.com/hiver/skiez_tarifs.php

You might find it productive to look at www.flaine.com which is great for skiing but doesn't have the social infrastructure or savoyard charm of Samoens: FOr that reason it soes tend to be cheaper and you could buy just the Flaine passes which would shave another £100 off your week but you'd miss the trees etc
Cool
snow conditions
Okay,

Ive had a little look at that site, and the location looks great!

When looking at the ski pass prices, i dont think we would need the one that covers the whole area. I cant see a price for just the Flaine area for 6 days though??

The other main place that i was interested in was Montgenevre, but again im finding it hard to understand the ski passes!! http://www.montgenevre.com/363.0.html?&L=4

Any help would be much appreciated!
ski holidays
gream0604,

Passes easier/better than I anticipated: http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/snowsports/ski-pass/forfait-ski.htm?stl=3&idHebergcat_id=11&sn=1, and scroll down to days you need -the extended family pack works out around the same for 3+1 but is critically for the Grand Massif not just Flaine.

Also 1 child = 14 + age of other child?= Using the extended family pack option of 2+2 + 2 £942 or 3+1+2 =£980 v around £930 for just Flaine (BTW it's pronounce Flen as in Glen and not as in Wayne which is common mistake)

If you are seriously interested in Flaine once you have complted your homework, I'd suggest you contact SH= Chris Mason http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=email&u=11207 by PM who may be able to help you dierct or if not refer with local knowledge.
ski holidays
The other child is 18
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy