Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great Scottish photos

Poster: A snowHead
Here are a few wonderful Scottish photos a friend sent me – ending with several of Easy Gully (Nevis off-piste).
I have a feeling you lot will like them. Very Happy

Stobinnein with a hat on, from Ben More

Ben More, West side

Path from Creag Meagaidh

Heading to Creag Meagaidh, Easy or Diagonal Gully

Ben jumps rocks into Spikes (Edit, actually Coire an Lochain) Nevis

Entering “Easy Gully” (Nevis, off-piste) from the side

Top of Easy Gully with the usual big cornice

Easy gully from the top

Easy Gully opens up onto the big face above a frozen lochan

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-05-10 12:45; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, W O W !!!!! Fantastic, just showed them to my son, we live in Austria, and I swear he had tears in his eyes!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To clarify

Is Easy Gully named in an ironic fashion?

Or is it actually the easiest of the bunch? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's ironic. It is the hardest of the regularly skied off-piste routes from the main ridge. The normal way into Spikes is easier (the guy in the photo was making it hard for himself going in from there) but both vary with the cornice situation . Good photos here on Winterhighland . Summit Gully is the easiest.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 11-05-10 18:51; edited 8 times in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
andytb, it's the easiest ice climbing route *up* Coire an Lochain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolutely stunning, thanxs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great pics. Still gutted I didn't get a shot at Easy Gully this season Sad

There are more direct routes in...

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv wrote:

There are more direct routes in...

Shocked sorry, I'm not going in that way. Much too "Easy".

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 11-05-10 18:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv, is that pic you last season then? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DAB, sorry to disappoint but I think it is one of the guys from freeskiing.co.uk , I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
same dudes front-flipped into Spikes a few years back, there's a vid of it online somewheres Shocked

proper loons, always good sport watching (not them but punters' reactions to them rocketing towards the abyss! Laughing )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv... there doesn't seem to be a landing in that pic... 'that's not flying.. just falling with style!'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still, it must be difficult for him to land something like that when he has to factor in the weight of his balls. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, I'd really like to see the video.

snowball, Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv, great photo Smile I expect to see a pair of Legend Pros doing the same next season Smile
snow report
snowball, Laughing
latest report
THIS is still one of the all-time great jumps with back-flip. "Holy shiit" indeed.
snow report
snowball, BIG Shocked
snow report
Snowball, I was behind the lens for some of the Nevis Range pics Andrew shared with you from the great day back in Feb this year. We met a couple of season's back when you came up to visit Nevis for a weekend in late March and skied with Andrew. Here are some more pics from the same day this year. Gav was the skier doing the back flip on Easter Sunday, another epic day at Nevis this year. There were so many!

Ben dropping into Spikes via the rockband skier's left of the "normal" entrance

Me dropping into Easy Gully

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HighRustler, beautiful shots.
ski holidays
HighRustler, Nice photos. I've been trying to get clear who took those photos but Andrew seems not to get most of my emails - not sure why, since he does get some.

So we have met...hmmm, trying to remember who you might be. During the weekend I skied with Andrew and Craig and for a while another snowhead, who was not you - then an East coast Scottish skier on the Monday who cannot have been you since he hadn't skied Nevis before. So presumably we just met very briefly?

I hope, if I come up next season, we get to ski together at some point.) It would most likely be late March or early April since I am probably skiing late January, mid February and early March in the Alps. (I would have preferred late March but the guide I want to ski with would be on an expedition then.)

Ben jumped Spikes on skiers left... I don't get it, has the photo been reversed? I assumed it must be skiers right. Or is this actually above the Easy Gully bowl rather than what is normally called Spikes?Or is this on the end of the promontary between the two?
snow conditions
Snowball, it's Craig. I know Andrew has had some issues since changing pc, so I wouldn't be too hard on him! The pic of Ben hasn't been reversed. It's probably easier to explain using another pic.

First tracks in Spikes on Easter Sunday. I've added a black line to show Ben's line, skier's left of the normal line.

ski holidays
Oh Hi Craig (sorry, HighRustler I mean) - I didn't know you posted on here. I was really sorry I couldn't come up to ski this year - it was a matter of household politics after I'd already been away skiing nearly 4 weeks in the Alps (my wife being a non-skier). Last year I chose to do an extra weekend at the EOSB bash instead of Scotland since I gathered the snow was not so good.
Ah yes, I see there might be just room to stand and photograph the entry from the very tip of the promontary - I hadn't realised there might be. Too radical an entry for me, I think!
latest report
More fab photos - keep them coming, thanks. Very Happy
snow conditions
PS for those who don't know the area, that's Summit Gully in the distance. Easy gully bowl is just off-photo to the right.

HighRustler, I put two of the photos you sent me 2 years ago together to make this composite of the Easy Gully bowl:

(perhaps should have lightened the left one a bit more)

However, with the "Ben dropping into Spikes" reference I just realised you may have been referring just your new photo rather than the one I posted at the top - or was that true for both?
ski holidays
Snowball, my comments referred to the pic I posted, not your earlier pic.

Here is a pic to illustrate the location of where Ben did the cliff drop in your pic. (I've added a black line to indicate his line) As you can see, this is in Coire an Lochain near the lower of the two lochans rather that Spikes, which is over the ridge line in the distance with the cornice and entrance to Spikes just visible.

latest report
HighRustler, thanks for the pictures. What was your best day up there this season? I'd imagine it is a toss up between the 2nd and the 4th of April?
ski holidays
Oh OK, that solves it. Andrew had labelled it as Spikes. I'll re-label it. Not quite so extreme as I thought then, though still a good jump!
The two ways you showed us down this bit were on each side of this lump, but the slope with tracks in the middle, right next to Ben's jump, looks like a good alternative to remember.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 16-05-10 15:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arv, many great days this winter, spoiled for choice! The stand out days for me at Nevis were, as you mentioned, 2/4th April and also 20/21st Feb, the weekend where some of the pics posted by Snowball were taken. 11th April was also an amazing day. Only two runs completed that day but one was the East face of Carn Mor Dearg and the other was Easy gully so not a bad combination!

Firsttracks dropping in on Carn Mor Dearg on 11th April

ski holidays
I saw your TR of that one. I'd like to try that one day, though a good size walk to get to it (about the most I'd be up for in a day, these days. rolling eyes)
snow report
Snowball, Ben's cliff drop looked fairly extreme to me when I watched him do it Very Happy The shot doesn't really convey the steepness and the distance he dropped. Have to say, it was very impressive!

You're absolutely correct, just to the skier's left of Ben's line is a very popular line into Coire an Lochain on the return to Braveheart.

Carn Mor Dearg summit is around 2 hours from the top of the summit tow. Well worth the effort on a good weather day at the end of the season. The descent down the west face of Aonach Mor from the summit to reach the col between Aonach Mor and Carn Mor Dearg is pretty serious as a rockband has to be negotiated. It can be done without removing skis but it's definitely a "no-fall" zone.

Line from summit of Aonach Mor down the west face

latest report
HighRustler wrote:
Snowball, Ben's cliff drop looked fairly extreme to me when I watched him do it Very Happy The shot doesn't really convey the steepness and the distance he dropped. Have to say, it was very impressive!

I didn't mean I would do it!

Yes that descent through the rock bands certainly looks very exposed. (I don't imagine it would be feasible with any less snow.) That's a photo I don't remember from the TR: shows it better than the more restricted one I remember.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy