Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most Helpful Tips

Poster: A snowHead
We have all had lessons, some better than others, but if you had to put down the most helpful tips you have ever received what would they be? rolling eyes

When listing your best ever tips say whether the tip is for beginner, intermediate or advanced followed by the tip.

Happy Tipping Little Angel Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best tip for park riding..."man up!"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski on one leg.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bend ze ankles.... And FLOP
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Advanced intermediate - signpost turns. You're in Les Deux Alpes - book a lesson with easiski to find out what I mean. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
(For full effect this has to be said with a broad Scots accent). "When you're skiing, you need to stand on your feet". Then "OK, that's better, now stand on the balls of your feet".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not a tip but a technique - compression turns. I was taught them by a fellow snowhead (Dave Meyer) and it was a real lightbulb moment in my bumps skiing. Since then they've become one of my favourite and strongest areas of my skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A Slalom race coach to me.... "Less Bull, More China Shop"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Loatie to me - "Come on, the more you look, the harder it gets" every time I stop and consider what next hairbrained adventure he is going to lure me into!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do it like this, it's easy
From some scottish bloke on my 1st day's skiing Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After watching me trying to heave two huge planks into turns, this tiny, hippie French guy tells me. "Ski zer feet, not zer skis. And zer skis will follow." He was right. My hero!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Right of the reds, left of the blues, fast as you can

(Slalom training advice, circa 1988)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"centered and balanced"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned "Don't eat yellow snow" Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cut your toe-nails before you leave the UK!
snow conditions
A tall, naked man should never iron anything with the steam on.
ski holidays
fast into the turns means you can come slower out! Shocked
snow conditions
i like tipping or rather being tipped Toofy Grin
snow report
Every turn is an admission of fear.
snow conditions
"Linger longer in the fall line"

From Alan Hole in my first week of ski lessons some 20-odd years ago.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
Every turn is an admission of fear.
oooh, that's just evil Toofy Grin
latest report
another vote for skiing on one leg (the downhill leg, that is). Improves balance and centering no end, and is a great warm-up exercise to get the balance and core muscles into action.
snow report
Big toe, little toe.
ski holidays
serious - i posted a photo on here once of me skiing and feeling a little out of control on the back bowls at lake louise...

"keep your spine angle more upright throughout the turn (don't lean into the turn) - this helps get the pressure on the outside ski through the hole turn"

other than that - crashing is developmental fun Very Happy
snow report
1)Don't waste the flats

2) When in doubt straighten out
ski holidays
1)Don't waste the flats

latest report
little tiger wrote:
1)Don't waste the flats

Are these not contradictory? Do you want me to nurdle around with little drills on the flats or straightline as fast as possible? wink
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
Big toe, little toe.
Seconded.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
fatbob wrote:
Big toe, little toe.
Seconded.

Sarah Ferguson's favourite too. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Spyderman, Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

another vote for skiing on one leg (the downhill leg, that is).

but then get going on the uphill leg.
ski holidays
Beginner level: It's like pedalling a bicycle when one leg goes down the other has to come up and unweight, you can't pedal a bike pushing down on both feet at the same time and you can't ski like it either - or words to that effect, from our very own Spyderman,

I rather like the notion of big toe, little toe though - I'm sitting here moving my foot on the floor and can see that working.
latest report
Turn them left, Turn them right,
Go downhill and smile
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
little tiger wrote:
1)Don't waste the flats

Are these not contradictory? Do you want me to nurdle around with little drills on the flats or straightline as fast as possible? wink

fatbob Those two comments were in regard to completely different issues.

The not waste the flats comment, refers to the idea of not just standing like a tin soldier as you cross the flats, doing little, in essence wasting them, but rather to use them to do various balance and edging drills that challenge your awareness and skills. When I ski with Fastman he does this all the time on the flats - so did my two main instructors. It looks as though they are simply playing, but they are actually refining and honing skills. I now do the same thing, and notice the difference in my skills.

The comment about when in doubt straighten it out, refers to the action to take when unexpected events occur while skiing, such as a skier suddenly stopping in front or skiing in from the trees into your path. Most people have a tendency to want to stop or turn uphill when this happens, this was my reflex action. Such manoeuvres can be counter productive as you lose momentum and thus your ability to evade and avoid. It also may cause you to become a hazard to others. It was suggested to me that this survival reflex is similar to slamming on the brakes on a snow or ice covered road - might be a common reflex but a good one to unlearn for similar reasons. The better course of action is to simply turn downhill and gently swerve around the obstacle.
ski holidays
Here are a couple that I find are often catalysts for great improvements in students.

1) "Get in touch with the base of your feet"

This is a prerequisite to developing good fore/aft balance. Becoming aware of where pressure is being felt on the base of your foot provides constant feedback to one's current state of balance, and thus the knowledge of whether, in real time, adjustments need to be made.

2) "Stand up"

An efficient stance is crucial. People often assume a hunched stance, in their effort to stay close to the snow. It can put them in the back seat, and it can introduce undue strain on the muscles, bringing on premature fatigue. Simply extending the knees (standing up) quickly remedies this, and puts them in an energy efficient, well balanced, athletic stance.
latest report
"Ski like a 13-year-old girl who's just got boobs and wants to show them to the world. Not like an old man with piles."

Or something like that Smile
ski holidays
alan empty wrote:
"Ski like a 13-year-old girl who's just got boobs and wants to show them to the world. Not like an old man with piles."

Or something like that Smile

I have told it before but the gorgeous swedish ski instructor I had put it very well.

You don't sh*t the turn - you f*ck it.

Enthusiastically pumping her hips forward as she did it.

At my age I eventually had to ask her to stop saying it.
snow report
Fifespud, I had exactly the same advice from a Warren Smith chap. He wasn't swedish or gorgeous, but the advice was very effective all the same. "less sh1tting, more f*cking" was his refrain. Imagine a picture of your object of desire (Kate Moss at the time) on the tips of your skis and thrust hips towards it.
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
Fifespud, I had exactly the same advice from a Warren Smith chap. He wasn't swedish or gorgeous, but the advice was very effective all the same. "less sh1tting, more f*cking" was his refrain. Imagine a picture of your object of desire (Kate Moss at the time) on the tips of your skis and thrust hips towards it.

Which of Wozzer's alcolytes was it? Goldenballs?
ski holidays
Fifespud, This was about 5 years ago, but it was Rob as far as I can recall. They all sort of merge into one after a while. Good value hanging out with them at the Farinet apres bar though, decent bunch.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy