Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me plan my business trip (ahem!) to NZ

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I mentioned this to flowa at EoSB but was in no position (read: state of sobriety) to remember her recommendations. rolling eyes

SO, if you were planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand in late July/early August, which cities would you recommend I head for so that it's possible to make a day trip to a decent mountain area or two?

Edit: OK, forget Australia, where to ski in NZ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 11-05-10 20:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyph, if you have to ski in Australia, which I wouldn't recommend, I would check out Mount Buller. Enough interesting terrain to keep you occupied if the snow is there. About 3 hours from Melbourne though... you'd probably be better off staying somewhere closer. Mansfield isn't far at all and you can grab a bus to ski but it is a bit of a hole. Booked in to a 4 star hotel which remains the worst hotel I have stayed in to date Laughing

Can give you accommodation/restaurant recommendations for Melbourne if you are looking for them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv, thanks for the... er... recommendation. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyph, I'd just avoid skiing in Australia (from my experience) and put all my time/energy in to skiing when I was in NZ. I haven't skied there but have plenty friends that love it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are in Christchurch NZ you can do day trips to Mt Hutt, Porters Heights and a number of the small club ski areas. Mt Hutt is less than two hours by car and Porters Heights is a bit more than one hour so it's easily done. If you have the time fly down to Queenstown for a couple of days. It's only a one hour flight from Christchurch. Christchurch is the biggest city in the South Island and is close to being the second biggest city in the country so this makes it a must for your business trip. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andyph, I must have been a bit tipsy myself as I can't remember my recommendations either Blush

It was probably something along the lines of: If you're in Auckland the nearest skiing is Mt Ruapehu, about 3 hours drive south. North side of the mountain is a ski area called Whakapapa (proun. fock a pa pa) and gets the sun all day - read as ice in the morning and slush in the afternoon. It is accessed via National Park. South side is more popular and called Turoa (proun. too ro a). It is accessed via a town called Ohakune (proun. o ha koo nee).

South Island is mostly about Queenstown and Wanaka's many ski areas. Steep = Treble Cone, Wanaka. Bowls = Cadrona, Wanaka. Couloirs and piste = Coronet Peak, Queenstown. ... and then there's The Remarkables for a nice day on the piste. People tend to check the weather forecast for the day to decide between Coronet Peak and The Remarkables.

I don't have any experience of Mt Hutt. SargeMcSarge is the best authority on all of it at the moment .... I have been away for 15 years afterall. As soon as I get the chance to slide on some Kiwi snow again, I'll let you know my thoughts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph, Will there realy be any business at all or is it all about the snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Christchurch is your best bet. Definitely worth heading to Mackenzie, stay somewhere like Twizel, which is a one horse town that the horse left 20 years ago, and ski at somewhere like Ohau. Even if the snow isn't that flash, the drive from Christchurch will be worth it - stunning scenery in winter once you get past Ashburton. It's about a 3 hour drive from Christchurch to Twizel.

Otherwise, like Sarge says, hit up some of the Canterbury fields. Personally, I can't stand Mt Hutt, but it's good for lapping for the day if it's not crowded. Porter Heights, which is an easy trip from Christchurch, with an OK access road, is crap if the snow's not up to much, but great fun if you get it after a decent dump. Just past Porters, there's Broken River, Craigieburn, and Temple Basin, which are all great fun. I've never been to Olympus, which is out that way, but have heard that it can be really good, with a super scary access road.

Flights to Queenstown are cheap enough from Christchurch, or it's about 2.5 hours drive further on from Ohau, if you fancy a road trip, which is well worth doing at least in one direction.

I might have to stick a few pics up later, show you what it looks like.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarge McSarge wrote:
andyph, Will there realy be any business at all or is it all about the snow.

Of course there'll be business. Little Angel You think I can afford to fly halfway round the world without charging it to the company? Toofy Grin

I must admit that NZ isn't an essential destination but if I'm already in Aus, it's silly not to make the extra jump. Plus, by all accounts, the snow's better and the people are more civilised. wink (Ducks for cover and runs Laughing ).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyph,
Quote:

the snow's better and the people are more civilised.

You don't have to be afraid of the truth Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Andyph, I think snowpark nz is the place for you http://www.snowparknz.com/ snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyph, I thought Thredbo (nr Canberra) had better terrain than the NZ South Island ski fields but the snow is less consistent. Think they had a bumper year last year. If you're in Canberra or Sydney Thredbo/Perisher Blue are doable for a weekend. From Melbourne Mt Hotham is your best bet. NZ also worth a look, particularly thevclub fields if you're into off piste.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy