Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boarding in knee deep powder

Poster: A snowHead
ALL DAY.

Shame I'm so utterly pants at it, but it was fun anyway. Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard, nice one, any photos?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, I came back with snow in every pocket, orifice and piece of underwear. It's fortunate that I once again forgot the camera, as I doubt whether it would have survived the experience. Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, Laughing it's great when it's that good, and even better when it comes after finishing work for the winter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, sounds fab! the great thing about being crap in powder is that you too busy laughing and having fun to realise how much work you're doing trying to get back up again after a fall.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sherlock235, I have this idea that if I could actually stay upright and make turns it would be fantastic fun, which is why I keep doing it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it's such a rush when you do - a similar feeling to when you link turns for the first time. my instructor in jan kept advising us that when we were riding powder, we had to:

1.) keep our knees a lot more bent than we thought they were;
2.) keep your head up by looking far ahead, not "just ahead" as we normally do on a piste (if that makes any sense);
3.) do very wide turns, cos you aren't able to do shorter turns when your board is covered;
4.) lean more onto your back leg, so you keep your weight more to the back of the board (even if your stance is centred). this *should* raise the nose automatically;
5.) consider widening your stance, don't set it back necessarily, just widen it by one hole on each binding;
6.) lastly, don't "hoof it" down the powder field too much to start with. you'll obviously need *some* speed but you can control everything better when you're riding slower to start with.

wanna try it again tomorrow and lemme know how you get on?

ps. of course, you're probably aware of all of the above and *disclaimer* i've probably got some of it wrong. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sherlock235, I'd say don't change the stance width but do move the bindings back, if nothing else it saves your back leg. Also speed is your friend here, you don't want widdly turns across the fall line unless you need to kill speed: like bending the knees speed=stability. Don't stop on a flat either. But the number one rule is keep it fun and keep smiling Laughing Mind you I wouldn't take much notice of this, I'm crap.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would also suggest reasonably aggressive turns unless you are riding out a nice gentle slope (blue/easy red type) whereby you can just ease the board around Very Happy a bit of speed helps wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, have you had any first tracks recently on the piste in knee deep ? now that is fun Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, did a bit of that at various points in the season - can't see it happening again this late but you never know.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, rayscoops, thanks for the info, but i only mentioned the tips that worked for me. other people may need to do things somewhat differently - i think in some respects, it's a man/woman thing.

i noticed on my last holiday that i ride a lot more aggressively than a lot of other women who ride, but not as aggressive as most of the blokes on the piste. this could be cos i prefer to ride with people who are better than i am so it forces me to progress, and most of the people who are better than i am are blokes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Powder had deteriorated a bit yesterday and was heavier with a slight crust, though still not bad. Can't complain though, as we were very lucky it lasted as long as it did given the time of year.

Was going to ski today, owing to laziness and the fact that it's easier, but have a huge bruise all over left shin following a slight accident, suspect it is exactly where the top of my boot goes. Crisis!! Will have to try the boot in a minute.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, oooh ouch. hope you're alright. may be psycosomatic (sp?), but i find arnica cream helps my bruises heal quicker. that won't help you today unfortunately Embarassed .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Greetings all! Little Angel
snow conditions
sherlock235 wrote:
Swirly, rayscoops, thanks for the info, but i only mentioned the tips that worked for me. other people may need to do things somewhat differently - i think in some respects, it's a man/woman thing.

i noticed on my last holiday that i ride a lot more aggressively than a lot of other women who ride, but not as aggressive as most of the blokes on the piste. this could be cos i prefer to ride with people who are better than i am so it forces me to progress, and most of the people who are better than i am are blokes.

I can certain vouch for Sherlock's aggressive riding. Quickest girl I have ever ridden with and faster than most blokes!!

If I'm just popping off the sides of the piste I just load up my back foot and carry enough speed to keep he board floating. If its a day of going some way off piste, a back country day, then I set back 50-75mm depending on the terrain. The faster you can go, the less you need to set back, but some always help your back leg survive the day.

In powder, you can't just lean and expect to turn. You'll just carry on straight and fall over, because the board isn't loaded up. If you need to turn suddenly, unweight your back foot and place the back of the board out, then load up, you will vector off and can further load up the turn so it feels more like a normal carve. The alternative is to initiate the turn very gradually, knees very bent, starting with bent ankles.

The real secret is to always be turning and then it just flows as you are always loaded up. Forgetting all this and leaning over to lose speed on a flat line run is always interesting and I also end up with pockets full of snow. Great fun though.
ski holidays
bar shaker, all this talk of riding in powder is making me sad. i had so much fun in january, and i won't be able to do a week-long, let alone two-weeker, next season. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
tbh I ride my board fully set back all the time and that's a board that has a fairly long nose on it anyway but that's a personal preference: it's rare for me not to be off piste at some point during a day and I generally don't ride switch. I find it saves my leg. I think that's the main thing about boarding: there aren't that many concrete rules and you can do what you want.
latest report
bar shaker, I didn't understand a word of that. Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, I think he means that, in powder, he leans back most of the time. Then when it comes to having to turn, he leans forward a bit.
snow conditions
WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!

Fresh tracks all day at Cairngorm yesterday!!! Totally amazing for late April!! Finished with one of the greatest runs of my life - off piste down Coire Laogh Mor with four of us putting down fresh tracks in acres and acres of untracked powder/spring snow! Heli skiing without the heli!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

There's still mountains of snow on the mountain - and it's staying open into May!!
latest report
mountainaddict, you lucky lucky man(?). i'm seriously thinking of organising a weekend up in scotland in may...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy