Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Let's do a head count - how many snowheads have tried Scotland this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Scottish resorts are now having the best condition for years. OK there are long queues, distance to travel is too much, the best condition is still far from perfect, weather isn't everybody's cup of tea, don't know how to book,.......and so on and so on.

However if there is a time to sample the best of the Scottish resorts can offer I don't think we are far from it now. So have many snowheads have bothered or will bother to try?

Judging from the complaints levelled at the tour operators, traffic jams, changeover days, attitudes of the foreign skiers, transfer difficulties, flight delays and many other Alpine charms I wonder if a quick trip to Scotland is really that bad?

Just wonder how many snowheads have taken Scotland seriously?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Well I have, but then I do live here !

Having said that, I'm quite happy to book a week in the Alps and hope the conditions will be right. There's no way I'd do that here unless it was late into the season and I was happy for it to turn into a walking/biking/whatever holiday depending on conditions. Being a regular Scottish skier has turned me into an amateur weather forecaster, eagerly scouring the charts for signs of a ridge of high pressure. When it works out you can get a classic day like I did last Thursday, freshies and blue sky.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not yet, hoping for a may trip Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Well I have, but then I do live here !

so do I, Glenshee was excellent yesterday, good snow, blue skies, no wind. Now, if we just had decent restaurant and toilet facilities....

AW
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never skied in Scotland and I'd love to, I really would.

But...

It's a bloody long way to drive from here for a weekend.
For the cost of whatever combo flight / train / own car / hire car to Scotland - I could fly to Geneva on SleazyJet. And it's no more inconvenient.

(only seems like about a month ago that Scottish skiing was being written off (again) as a doomed casualty of global warming - and now they are rolling in in the stuff. Good to see . snowHead)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I organized a party of 10 (7 adults 2 children 1 infant) from Leeds to Cairngorm in February.

Last time I went was Easter 2001.

Got some fresh snow on the way up and managed 2 half days, albeit not great visability on the Sun and a bit hostile (wind) on the Tues.

Two of the crowd hadnt been for 20 years and 2 hadnt been at all.

Long drive but the hospitality, and benefits of being in a ski town with a degree of familiarity about it, plus the bonus of some skiing on nice snow rendered the trip a success.

Im sure we'll all be back, ere long.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not me. Done two seasons on Cairngorm, so I've done my time !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Six days Cairngorm
Two days Glenshee
Two "days" Other - both touring around forest tracks one being an evening ski around The Bin near Huntly with HNSC.

Need to do four more days to justify my Cairngorm season pass on financial grounds. Hopefully will get in two more days this weekend, but the forecasts are for quite windy weather so may not be so good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2 days at Cairngorm, would have been more but wanted to do some walking too Very Happy

Scotland rocks (skiing is one of the less appealing things really), and i personally think the timescale/expense is no worse than the ACTUAL travel time to the alps (from Leeds...maybe if i lived down south it would be different, but i dont!), and its a beautiful beautiful drive too.

with current conditions, surely worth a go if you have never tried!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not for many years but I'll try after Easter if there is still any snow. (I'm off to Zermatt etc around Monte Rosa on Friday)
Many years ago I skied a weekend: Saturday Nevis, then Sunday till 4,15 at Glencoe - then drove back home to London arriving about 1.00am.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball,

I am humbled. The maximum driving time to the Scottish resorts was 5 hours for me, though I do 10 to 11 hours if it were to the Alps.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2 Saturdays at Glencoe this year so far, just short of a 400 mile trip for a days skiing, leave home 4.45, ski from 9.30 - 15.00 ish, back home for 8, eat, shower and in the local for 9. Sleep most of Sunday to recover.

Hopefully doing the same this sat.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One day at Cairngorm last month (via sleeper - very civilised!), and last weekend Nevis and Glencoe. Looking good for more snow this weekend so will def be returning. The Nevisport pub takes some beating for a ski-anorak's night oot. Hoots!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven't. Does that count as -1?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glencoe, Nevis and Glenshee last weekend. If this snow hangs around I'll be plotting an early April trip as well I imagine.
snow conditions
I haven't been this year. I went in the 90s to Glencoe and Nevis and didn't enjoy the experience. 45 mile an hour winds and rain coming at you sideways through cloud, with visibility of about 10 metres really put me off.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well done Mr. Lager. Sounds like an epic trip! Did you fly up there? Might have seen you at Nevis on Saturday.
snow report
paulmck wrote:
Well done Mr. Lager. Sounds like an epic trip! Did you fly up there? Might have seen you at Nevis on Saturday.

Flew up and stayed at my dads house. The visibility was such that I didn't see much at Nevis for a lot of Saturday though. snowHead
snow report
I would love to ski in Scotland again. I got snowed on in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago & slid a bit on the streets - does that count??

My first time on skis on snow was in Scotland - in May 1984 - we had a wonderful couple of days & I ended up with the worst sunburn ever!
snow report
I think that counts double sazza! Looking for some May action this year, I wonder if the lifts will stay open long enough. Recently economics have prevented this as much as the shortage of snow.
snow report
Was up at Glenshee on Wednesday, a bit overcast but plenty of snow just now (it snowed in the afternoon) and the forecast is for more snow this weekend.
snow conditions
There wasn't much open in May 84 - but we didn't need much. We were complete beginners & were quite happy dashing up and down one small slope - I can only really remember using one tow rope.
ski holidays
My wife and I worked at Cairngorm during the early 90's. We needed the money. Mostly it was awful; I remember going up the ski road on the bus in the mornings praying that the 'stormbound' sign would be lit, thus relieving us from having to teach!

There are good days though, and when it's good you'll pinch yourself to believe that it's true, and right here on your doorstep too. If you've never been, now might be a good time to give it a try Very Happy
latest report
I've been in Aviemore all season, and although I wished at times (especially during december when there was little snow) that I'd gone back to France for another season I've also had some pretty amazing days up the 'gorm. Very Happy
ski holidays
I'd love to give it a go but when I had the time Scotland hasn't had the snow Sad Not sure I'll get any more chances this year maybe late on if miracles occur with snow cover but I doubt it.
snow conditions
Gunni,

Welcome! It does look like 'gorm has the best snow then.
ski holidays
I went up to Cairngorm for a day near the end of February after a long break from skiing and thought the conditions were fabulous in light of my previous experiences of Cairngorm.
Went back the week after for 4 days and was surprised with the conditions being even better a week later so went up the week after that too for another 4 days snowHead
Spending much of my time at Cairngorm I treat myself to a day at Glenshee. Wow, what a breath of fresh air skiing down the off-piste Glas Mao.
Piccy of view from Carn Aosda on Thursday 4th March:-

I just hope we get similar conditions this coming Winter again.
snow report
I went skiing in Glencoe and Glenshee, both for one day, about 2-3 weeks ago. Glenshee was howling gales and you couldn't really see in front of you, although it did clear up in the afternoon. Glencoe was much better, although you could only really ski one run as the others were too icy. Not as good as going abroad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy