Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot length and good boot fit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So we always hear the usual advice about a shell fit of 1 finger width etc BUT, if I have boots that fit very nicely indeed* all the way to the ball of my foot, does it really matter if I have a bit "too much" room at the end of the toes?

i have some rather sexy purple toenails at the moment which were caused by kicking steps up a snow slope in some touring boots with a "performance fit". i like to loosen off the buckles in these situations and a bit of extra space in the toe box would make life a good bit more comfortable. my alpine boots probably are a bit "comfort fit" in terms of length but they fit my feet very nicely so once i am buckled down i don't think my foot slips around fore and aft because of the extra length

not looking to race but like a reasonable level of responsiveness from my boots

any comments from those in the know?

*for me a good fit is an acceptable level of discomfort rather than slipper-like comfort
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IF and it is a big if you could guarantee holding the foot at the back of the boot without any migration forwards then it could be seen as ok to have a bit extra space round the toes (clown shoes anyone)...problem is it is near impossible to hold the foot at the back of the boot if there is any space for it to migrate forwards Little Angel

if you could drop the volume suficiently then it can be done but you really need a low volume boot to do it effectively...then you have balance issues, heel retention,instep height and cuff height etc etc to deal with

so in answer to your question.... a lot depends on the person and their perception of fit/comfort/pain etc if the foot is not moving then fine
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, good to know. none of this would be a problem if i just skied in them wink in fact, a few tweaks should do the trick even for silly mountaineering stuff
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't buy red boots? You know you're not good enough to ski red boots. wink

FWIW I wouldn't want too much 'extra length' for ski control / feedback. However I would be happier with a little extra room (comfort / no purple toe nails) in my touring boots over discomfort / 'added' performance.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, It is a major problem with the boots in question, infact also your Shamans, that the toe box is super low, i have work the shite out of mine, and it isn't easy to get the space i needed, was for sure never going to be happy with the size up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, to be fair, it was probably worse in my old touring boots! maybe it's just because i had never done much "technical" climbing until i got touring boots that fitted me properly so the issue is the climbing rather than the length of the boots
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy