Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's all about balance

Poster: A snowHead
I don't know if anybody has been following this blog.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/gap-year-ski-instructor/7471417/The-40-something-ski-bum-blog-22.html but this piece is quite interesting. The guy has the instructors unbuckle their boots completely and ski, in order to obtain the zen in balance.

"To be a good skier it’s not enough just to have raw power,” he says. “You need rhythm, coordination, flexibility – and especially good balance.”

"One of G’s suggestions is that to work on improving my balance back home, I learn to ride a unicycle, take classes in ice skating, and if I go to a gym, do my workouts perched on a Swiss ball or a wobble board. Balance, it seems, is all-important. "
[/url]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne, Yep Boots undone (or even just loosened) is a great exercise. Just watch for wet feet Shocked Boots undone and no sticks - even better wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne, It sounds as though you should get Fastman's DVDs look at www.yourskicoach.com. Balance is critical because if you're not well balanced your skis and your body don't work as well. If you are well balanced then everything gets easier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Balance is king.

Just copy highliners.

Stand in a T shape, like a coathanger.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne, Awsome trick for skiing and getting balance right I fixed my short radius turns in a single day using it and regulary use it teaching more advanced students.

Fellow instructor was made ski an itiniary run filled with Moguls wiht his boots open said it was one of the scariest and most valuable ski lessons he had ever had
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Eh, who said I had a problem with balance Shocked Laughing

But seriously I am always looking to improve and things to work on. So I'll give a try next week. Not sure I'll do it on a steep mogul field mind Toofy Grin

Whitegold, what/who is highliners?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.prana.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/dean-solo-at-taft-point-5223.jpg
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That Instructor obviously hasn't been sued yet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My balance practice includes doing the ironing standing on a Bosu ball and brushing my teeth standing on one leg with my eyes shut. I don't do these at the same time, however. Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
G can ski and speaks the truth

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 31-03-10 22:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, I would do the same but I'm too afraid of dropping the teeth into the drain.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Meh. For anyone who's ever had major boot woes skiing with open buckles is "normal"! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RPF skies with "G" around Verbier. Speaks highly of the guy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always do my first runs of the day with buckles undone gets you into the groove, rehabbing an ACL I've grown to love my Bosu ball, I'm thinking of taking her on holiday (not)!
snow conditions
Quote:
Just watch for wet feet

or even Frost bite !
latest report
bobinch wrote:
RPF skies with "G" around Verbier. Speaks highly of the guy.

I sure do. Really great guy. I only ski with him on his days off so I get to keep my boots buckled up Very Happy

He says the most important thing of all is to have fun. He has an infectious love for skiing and is like a child on Christmas morning when he finds powder.

Despite being on his 20th season and being qualified to the top level in 4 countries he still strives to improve his own skiing by trying new things at every oppertunity.
ski holidays
Quote:

That Instructor obviously hasn't been sued yet.

First time I was asked to do this was by a well known BASI L4 she got down and opened out my boots fully and told me to go off down a steepish slope doing short radius in a narrow corridor.

My first question to her was how is your insurance Laughing
snow conditions
Fattes13, Many years ago a Grade 3 training course was told to ski down the (icy and big) Ciste bumps with their boots undone. One broke their leg, and BASI banned the practise. I don't know whether it's been re-instated or not. It can work quite well but careful control of slope and conditions for the level of skier is essential! Laughing
ski holidays
Fattes13, easiski, It's still a big no-no. Using the equipment against the manufacturer's recommended instructions, which can affect the release values of the ski bindings. Any injury caused through using this practice leaves yourself wide open to be sued off the Planet.
ski holidays
easiski, When I was asked to do it it was not on a BASI course it was with IASI, I now allot of people I have skied with still use it

Spyderman, When I am instructing I have only ever asked very high end carving classes and racers to do it and it is always as a suggestion to add somthing to the exercise. Totally understand where you are coming from though.

I am sure the insurance companies would have a field day with it no matter how you phrase it.

I will however spend allot of time on Mon day practicing it when I go for a slide Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Alexandra wrote:
Meh. For anyone who's ever had major boot woes skiing with open buckles is "normal"! wink

Doesn't everyone have to do this for the first hour of the day Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
I think it's still common on BASI courses, i certainly did it on my L2 (7 yrs ago - eek!) But i know pwoplw who've done it more recently.
snow report
beanie1, It was a big no-no on mine 5 years ago.
snow report
Fattes13, It's a great drill, the extra feel you get when you re-clip afterwards is great.
latest report
I always teach with my toe clips undone (and when i have a hangover!). Where do they draw the line at using equipment correctly? Would the insurance company refuse to pay out because the clips weren't done up?
ski holidays
beanie1, Probably! When teaching on the Dendix I rarly have the boots closed may have somthing to do with teaching in 140 flex boots but I find it helps distract the clients when the notice.
latest report
Spyderman,
Quote:

It was a big no-no on mine 5 years ago

I don't think it's banned, i think it's down to the trainer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I've been told by 2 BASI Trainers not to use it with clients as part of a lesson, whether I "suggest" it as being a good drill to try, pointing out the safety implications is up to me. So, probably not "Banned", but you would leave yourself wide open in court should an injury occur resulting in litigation.
I've chosen to delete it from my teaching repertoire. I still use it in my personal skiing though.
snow conditions
Spyderman, I don't use it either - I don't teach high enough level skiers for it to be appropriate. But i can see it's use and relevance in instructor training courses.
snow report
I use it - ask TallTone Toofy Grin
It's an OK drill "if" perform by the students "under supervision" and as a method of self-appraisal of balance - eg. Not... undo your boots then ski down the hill and see what happens. In my lessons I get people to undo the boots and ski for a short while then, after redoing up boots to try and ski as in balance. Sometimes it works other times not. But you can notice a student that it does work with.
latest report
do it all the time with clients and race kids. I also ski em on one ski, eyes shut, no poles, hands behind back, switch and anything else i can think of which might be difficult and help their balance...

has anyone ever sued a ski instructor in the UK and won?
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

has anyone ever sued a ski instructor in the UK and won?

Question is, do you want to be the first?
snow conditions
the question for me is do i worry about it and give it any more than a cursory thought, and the answer is no not really as long as i feel what i ask people to do is not beyond their ability and they may learn something. i hold my head in my hands every time a suing the leader discussion comes up during first aid courses, race & instructor training, off piste guiding etc etc.
snow conditions
Spyderman, skimottaret, I guess the test is, are you being negligent in asking pupils to do those exercises Puzzled
snow report
I'd like to think that professional liability insurance would cover me if someone broke themselves under my supervision (haven't actually had to call ski patrol yet in two seasons!)... but I do always have an uneasy moment when a kid's fallen awkwardly - I know a couple of people that had legal stuff thrown at them after picking up a kid with an injury.

skimottaret, working in Canada I'm all too aware of the lawyer happy culture and I agree it's horrible - but eyes shut/no poles/backwards and boots unclipped are very different beasts - physical equipment is dangerous territory, we're entirely forbidden from even touching bindings and advised against mentioning DIN to clients etc. Obviously these rules get broken, but the fact they're even being forbidden is a pretty miserable thing.
latest report
DaveC,
Quote:
I know a couple of people that had legal stuff thrown at them after picking up a kid with an injury.

Why was that ?
latest report
well I was told to ski with boots undone at Hemel by a well known SH instructor working not a million miles from skimottaret, and very valuable it was, too. And side slip on the uphill ski and - when getting cocky about that - without poles. Would we have sued? And if we had, would we have won? Hopefully the answer to both questions is "no" but I wouldn't ski with boots undone down some big dangerous hill, that's for sure. Whoever the instructor was.

Presumably you instructors all have insurance? My daughter is an RYA dinghy sailing instructor, and membership of the RYA automatically includes insurance cover for anyone teaching in an RYA approved centre. You'd be mad to teach without it. A child lost the sight of an eye in a freak accident in very safe, and very well supervised, conditions in our local sailing club - really made everyone think though it was nobody's fault.
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
... (haven't actually had to call ski patrol yet in two seasons!)...

I had to call in a blood wagon on my very first day of teaching. And on my second day. On the 2nd day when I went it to the office to fill out another accident form I'm sure I overheard someone at the back mutter "child killer.." Embarassed

I use the boots undone drill as and when. Almost always with good skiers, and always warn them that they will lose a lot of the control they normally have. I always ask them to ski at a slower speed.

So what about skiing with eyes closed? One for the lawyers...?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Presumably you instructors all have insurance?

Yes, public liability insurance.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy