Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Dynafit binding?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from three days touring in Austria (TR to follow, assuming I can dig some half decent photos out of all the rubbish). Much as the Marker Barons I currently own are undoubtedly bomb-proof, I spend most of my life sitting behind a desk so I think I might just need to accept that something lighter is the answer, unless I'm suddenly going to get an awful lot fitter / stronger, which seems unlikely.

Dynafit must surely be the way to go - I've read around a bit, but I'm completely fuddled as to what the difference is between them all (apart from the obvious race weight ones and the choice of brake or no brake).

Advice, please? Thx.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
first choice is what maximum DIN you need - 10 or 12

if you really need 12, that limits you to the vertical FT 12

if you don't really need 12, do you want brakes or not? if you want brakes, the vertical ST would be the choice

if you don't want brakes you could go for the vertical ST without brakes or the TLT Speed (or TLT Speed Light if you don't want the high heel lift)

this assumes you are looking at Dynafit branded tech bindings. The G3 Onyx is an option also although I am not sure what advantage it has over dynafits TBH

i don't really need more than 10 (set my din at 9.5/10) and find dynafit brakes more trouble than they are worth so I have the TLT Speeds.

one thing to mention is that the vertical FT/ST ski crampon attachment is supposedly more robust than on the speeds - i may test this out next week
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Arno.

DIN required: 10 (mine are normaly @ 9)
Brakes required: preffered but not essential. What is irritating about the D brakes?
High heel lift: yes please, I'm knackered enough as it is without making it harder!

That would appear to suggest either: Vertical ST or TLT Speed

What's irritating is that I bought non-Dynafit compatible boots last year, so I'll have to try to shift those. After this, I am making a vow to buy no new gear for at least 12 months.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
zammo, re brakes, IME:

1. they don't deploy reliably
2. they add weight (i'm not that much of a gram counter but if the things don't actually work very well it seems pointless dragging them up a hill)
3. they make it more of a fiddle to change modes of the heel piece

plenty of people like them though

good luck with not buying new gear for 12 months!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you haven't found it already, check out all the articles on Wildsnow. There's loads of useful info:

http://www.wildsnow.com/bindings/dynafit-backcountry-skiing-bindings/

Jonathan Shefftz has done a table comparing all the Dynafit bindings somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo wrote:
That would appear to suggest either: Vertical ST or TLT Speed

This ^.

And if this going to be your touring rig and not an all mountain set up, you may as well go for the Speeds. Save some more £ too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers, guys. V helpful. Will be predominantly a touring set-up but will get used elsewhere, I expect. Much loss of rigidity / response from the ST to the TLT?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No - the way your boot is fixed to the ski is same
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy