Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a grommie freerider

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ollie needs new skis for next season, so is looking to test, and maybe get some towards the end of this season. He is 12, 36Kg, about 155cm, skis 60% off-piste, 30% piste 10% park. Most kids freeride skis, like the Mantra Junior (no longer made?), Gotama, Icelantic Scout SFT, go to around 143 to 148 length. which may be a little short for him (giving him room for growth over the next coupla years). But there aren't many suitable in adult lengths either - I'm thinking around 155 to 160. Maybe something like a Prophet 90 in a 158cm?

So, any thoughts for a good suitable ski?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

You might want to look towards some of the women specific skis as they provide the sort of lengths your wanting, the Juniors tend to stop around 140.
I suffered the same problem when I was that height range, the Piste skis go down to 155cm especially with things like Salomon Aero's but the freeride skis do not.

One example, if a bit extreme is Sean Pettit, sponsered by K2 skis when he was 11 for park he rode the Juvy, but for free ride he rode the K2 NANCY which was basically a Seth Morrison pro model, downsized a little for females. He used the Nancy until he was able to fit a pair of Male specific skis.

If I was looking at the moment I'd be interested in the K2 Missbehaved which is a fat (98mm waist) female specific twin tip, with 149cm and 159cm...
http://k2skis.com/skis/factory/missbehaved

Then something a bit more park specific but still able to perform well off piste at 85mm waist, bottom size is 159cm K2 Extreme
http://k2skis.com/skis/factory/extreme

The salomon THREAT which is basically the same as the K2 Extreme
http://www.salomon.com/uk/?#/ski/skis/freeski/threat

George
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The prophets in the proper sizes are pretty stiff - I dunno how the translates lower down the range but worth checking at his weight. I think Line do a dedicated junior freeride ski though, or is it only freestyle?

Otherwise a womens ski would probably be the way to go, although the 169 Seths shouldn't really be that much too big for him - they are twins, and in general longer is better for freeride...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the feedback so far; he skis fast and aggresive, both on and off piste, but is pretty light and I'm thinking most adult freeride skis are going to be hard work for him. Womens models could be a good idea. The junior Line is the Chronic Mini, but at a max 143, could be a little short. I'll take a look at the K2s ... any other suggestions?

I foresee a problem finding skis to test too, not many places seem to have kids skis available to test

Oh, and finally, am considering an AT setup for him (max 1 hour skinning) - any thoughts on bindings?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds as if women specific skis could just be his thing, when he grows out of them..you could always offer them to the wife Wink Laughing

The one that interests me the most is the K2 Missbehaved, probably because of its wide waist, found it at Ski bartlett.
http://www.skibartlett.com/k2-missbehaved---0910---159cm-169cm-3672-p.asp

Theres also the womens Armada ARW
http://www.skibartlett.com/armada-arvw-womens-ski-0910---165cm---was-399-4743-p.asp

Just found another one which might be of interest, the Line Pandora.. one of the widest female specific skis at 115mm in the waist, also has less female specific graphics as the other choices... available in 152, 162 aswell.

http://www.skibartlett.com/line-pandora-skis-0910-womens---152cm-162cm-and-172cm---was-340-3631-p.asp
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pandora's less female specific??!! Granted they cool as f*ck, but that whole little bird thing just screams vagina...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, Ollie says he could live with the little bird thing, but can't stand the sight of the ARW rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
K2 are doing a jr ski which is 100 underfoot next year... can't remember the name but I ordered it! think Line are also doing a jr sir fancis bacon...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
K2 are doing a jr ski which is 100 underfoot next year... can't remember the name but I ordered it! think Line are also doing a jr sir fancis bacon...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dansmith wrote:
That sounds like it might be worth a look - do you know what lengths?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
think it was 149 the k2 i can't remember the frankie b's lengths! we ordered the k2 one though! look out for it in september!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy