Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorms at Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Any one out there got a rough idea what conditions are like at the moment?
Just wondering what to pack, ski gear or mtb/hiking gear. I've just had a look at their web site and they say things are looking good for Easter, But they would say that. Just wondering what it's actually like?
Cheers
ski holidays
 brian
brian
ricfrench,

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2180

Still looks like excellent cover to me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All lifts open apparently. Other Scottish resorts are pretty bad though.

The number of lifts open is the surest way to tell. From experience if it can be skied down the lift will be open. Cairngorms is used to have the best snow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee wrote:
All lifts open apparently. Other Scottish resorts are pretty bad though.

The number of lifts open is the surest way to tell. From experience if it can be skied down the lift will be open. Cairngorms is used to have the best snow.

That doesn't necessarily hold true, a couple of days in the past week only the Funciular and Shuttle Bus were open but every run was open and the whole mountain accessible.

Still top to bottom sliding with potential for 2000ft of vertical descent (via the Laogh Mor Return) when the shuttle bus is running on CairnGorm Mountain and 1700ft of vertical on the Cas side. Still extensive cover beyond the fenced runs on the upper and mid mountain with steeper off-piste on the East Lady, Coronation and East Walls (far beyond the No 1 and No2 gullies)

As for the other areas, virtually all runs are still complete at Glenshee except some on East aspects which have had the least snow this winter (most snow game from the East or SE), Carn Aosda, Sunnyside still good between the fences, Meall Odhar, Coire Fionn and Glas Maol all giving good riding and all 20 lifts will run weather permitting at the weekend.

West Coast areas have the best riding on the top half of the mountains where there's been a few top ups this week, around a foot of fresh at the top of Glencoe on Tuesday morning which has now packed down. At Nevis it doesn't look it on the webcam but there are still 2 good runs to the foot of the main ski area via Yokies (next to the Alpha Tow) and the Allt Sneachda to the foot of the Quad Chair, higher up still a huge width of coverage across from Warrens side to the Goose on the East face of Goose Gully. Braveheart has been open some days the past week, but poor weather has been limiting lift ops some days this week, will as ever be subject to snow conditions / stability and overhead for the Braveheart.

Even the Lecht has all runs still complete with a mostly reasonable cover between the fences. All in all, take the skis, but also take the hiking gear for a wild weather alternative. Turning colder with snow showers expected this weekend.

See: www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ricfrench, what da man says (winterhighland) - like the Alps been a bit warm these past couple of weeks but still extensive cover at Cairngorm and forecast to get colder with some fresh falling in the next few days Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to add, this is the latest from MWIS:
Quote:
Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Friday, 26th March, 2010

"In the longer term, there are now strong indications of a return to cold weather on the run-up to Easter. Most forecast models from the different centres are one by one 'flipping' toward pushing low pressure east and south of Britain into next week, allowing northerly winds in from the Arctic. There will be snowfall on many mountains - much related to a deepening low that will move slowly east across southern Britain Monday. Most snow could well be across England and Wales.

Hopefully the most snow will hit the highlands though, don't want it wasted down south!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, looks like it's ski/hiking gear then. That will save a fortune on fuel with no bikes hanging off the back of the car snowHead
Never done Cairngorm before, looking forward to it already.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

That will save a fortune on fuel with no bikes hanging off the back of the car.....

Hmmmm.......assuming that the bikes hanging off the back are the MTB variety, a visit to (fairly) nearby Laggan Wolftrax could be worth spending a bit of extra fuel on! The trails cover a full-on proper- mountain-biking-in-amazing-location experience (red trail) to OMG they don't ride THAT do they Skullie ?? (Black trail)

Both are relatively short but the red and black (most of which is actually rideable for mere mortals) can be combined into a decent half day ride of 15 or 20k. Due to the ascents involved and the technical nature of the riding, both routes feel longer than they actually are.

Wolftrax is a great set up - nice little cafe and decent bike hire available too if you don't take yours. Here are more trail details:
http://www.basecampmtb.com/trails.html

The legendary Glentress could also be worth a look on your way back south?
http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/achs-5rnfvj
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

That will save a fortune on fuel with no bikes hanging off the back of the car.....

Hmmmm.......assuming that the bikes hanging off the back are the MTB variety, a visit to (fairly) nearby Laggan Wolftrax could be worth spending a bit of extra fuel on! The trails cover a full-on proper- mountain-biking-in-amazing-location experience (red trail) to OMG they don't ride THAT do they Skullie?? (Black trail)

Both are relatively short but the red and black (most of which is actually rideable for mere mortals) can be combined into a decent half day ride of 15 or 20k. Due to the ascents involved and the technical nature of the riding, both routes feel longer than they actually are.

Wolftrax is a great set up - nice little cafe and decent bike hire available too if you don't take yours. Here are more trail details:
http://www.basecampmtb.com/trails.html

The legendary Glentress could also be worth a look on your way back south?
http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/achs-5rnfvj
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winterhighland,

I checked the web cams of Glenshee, Lecht and Nevis Range. They were pretty bare then.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee, have you skied in Scotland (genuine question)? To me it looks good, the runs between the fences look complete at Glenshee and the Lecht looks to have plenty. The 'main' skiing at Nevis is kind of hidden in the webcam.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ the webcam position at Nevis is poor, I've been caught out by it in the past and presumed there was hardly any snow when there was plenty on upper runs - they really need to sort it out!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict,The bikes would be very mountain, a nice big bouncey kona coiler and for the take it easy days a cindercone. Only two weeks back off skiing/boarding in Andorra so still have the bug! and I would rather be packing my snowboard for this trip.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ricfrench, I was there last weekend, loads of snow up top, a little soft and slushy right at the very bottom. Between the fences, pistes I skied were totally covered, apart from a couple of exposed rocks at the bottom of M2. If I knew how to post pics, I would!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv,

I have skied Glenshee, Cairngorms and Nevis Range but never hit Lecht at the right condition. I know Nevis Range has good snow at the top. Lecht looks thin in some patches and Glenshee looks too much grass for my liking. In the best of time Glenshee will probably be white without any rock or grass.

In the last few years I have stopped going to Scotland and tried places like Zermatt/Cervinia, Davos, St Moritz and Dolomites. Just came back from some Colorado where I found one resort starts at 3286m level and there are chairlifts taking skiers to above 3800m level. It is hard to get excited about the Scottish snow cover if you have just come back from Aspen.

There is a saying in the Scottish resorts that if one can ski there one can ski anywhere. That is about sums up how tough the place is. To ski Scotland is four hour drive for me living in Newcastle but it is harder for me to get desperate. Cairngorm looks OK now and is worth the trip.
ski holidays
Quote:

In the last few years I have stopped going to Scotland and tried places like Zermatt/Cervinia, Davos, St Moritz and Dolomites. Just came back from Colorado. It is hard to get excited about the Scottish snow cover if you have just come back from Aspen.

We came back from the 3 Valleys in mid December then went to Cairngorm for the next weekend for some great skiing.

We came back from Val Thorens at New Year and went to the Pennines (Weardale) to ski the following weekend.

Came back from Mayrhofen in January and skiied the Pennines (Yad Moss) the weekend after.

Back from Fernie in February and back to Yad Moss the weekend after that.

And after a weekend trip to the Zillertal last month? You've guessed it - back to Yad Moss the following weekend for some great off piste!

Last weekend we went ski touring at Cairngorm and skiied one of the best, steepest (off piste) runs we've ever done.

The moral of the tale? I'm excited about heading north to Cairngorm again tomorrow night for days 43 & 44 of the season on snow Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-03-10 23:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergmeister, are you just trying to p!ss every one off Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Bergmeister, are you just trying to p!ss every one off

Of course not! Just trying to encourage others to head north for the weekend! wink

Having said that, tomorrow's trip could well be a bit knackering. I'm up at 4.30 in the morning for the 7.00 flight from 666castle to Stansted for work. Land at 20.20 on the way back and will then be picked up at the airport by Mrs B and others for the drive norf. Planning to get as far as Edinburgh in time for a couple of shandies. zzzzzzzzzzz
latest report
Bergmeister,

You seem to have a habit to going back the same place quickly.

If you were in 3V in mid Dec and since Val Thorens is part of 3V then you went back 2 weeks later for the new year.

Mayrhofen is also in Zillertal Valley and you went back the same valley in January and February?
latest report
Bergmeister,I really do have to admire you dedication, and what used to be your bank balance Twisted Evil
snow report
Are any snowheads going to be skiing in Scotland next Easter weekend? I've just decided to have a last minute Easter trip and am driving up on Good Friday and aim to ski Saturday and Sunday, returning on Monday. Am staying at Nethy Bridge so probably Cairngorm on Saturday and maybe Lecht on Sunday.
ski holidays
Whats the knowledge re the backcountry steeps at the moment - northern corries and the gullies off Braeriach?
snow report
Here's an update on the forecast from MWIS and it's looking very good for snow over Easter:
Quote:
Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Tuesday, 30th March, 2010

Cold throughout the coming week and the Easter Weekend. By Wednesday (31st) there will have been a considerable dump of snow from the eastern and southern Highlands of Scotland south to Cumbria, with the whole of the Southern Uplands bearing the brunt - up to 3 ft of 'level' snow will lie in enormous drifts. Beyond, further snow will fall almost daily, mainly on northern and western mountains, as clusters of heavy showers come in, although at low levels there will be gradual thawing.

Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, we're heading up Good Friday too, stupidly early in the morning Sad Staying over near Glenlivit somewhere so will probably do Cairngorm and the Lecht too.
ski holidays
Anyone have a recommendation for ski/boot hire in Aviemore as my last trip to Glenshee was ruined by antiquated/delapidated boots which put a damper on an otherwise perfect day.
Preferrably somewhere I can pick up the day before.
snow report
weeSKI, hope you've had some joy with the steeps info over on Winterhighland, I'm sure more peeps wil be along soon to give you info - have been stuck in Bristol the last few weeks so not sure myself ... back up in a few days time though, just after what looks potentially like a major dump snowHead ... which brings me onto ...

snow-forecast.com is predicting quite a lot of snow at the moment, this'll change I guess over the next few days but they've been reasonably accurate this season, if anything they've tended to underestimate dumps - at the moment there's 89cm predicted between now and Thursday! Shocked

snobunni, best of luck with the drive up and lets hope the snow is on the mountains rather than the roads! I'm splitting the journey over Friday and Sat morning, might have a slide Saturday but depends when we get there, am up for a couple of weeks so relaxed abnout that and also the kids *need* (LOL) to watch Doctor Who in the early evening and then we're off to a mate's party at the Cairngorm Hotel so will be saving energy for the hoolie Very Happy Will be up Sunday though and thereafter for sure, am working on the hill from Monday snowHead

DAVE 2227, there are a few places in the area that do ski and boot hire but the kit on the mountain isn't bad to be honest as far as I've seen so don't worry too much. However they may run out of kit and Cairngorm have the following on their site, giving information on alternative hire outlets with phone numbers:
Quote:
The Ticket Office, Cas Bar and Equipment Hire will be open from 8.00am daily. We may run out of hire equipment - particularly smaller sizes over Easter. There are other hire outlets in the area and we strongly advise you to hire off-site and not to rely on hiring equipment on the mountain. A list of Hire outlets nearby is detailed below:
Outdoor Discovery: 01479 811066 or 811776 (on the ski road at Inverdruie)
Active Outdoors: 01479 780000 (Aviemore)
Glenmore Shop: 01479 861253 (on the ski road at Glenmore)
Aviemore Ski and Snowboard Hire : 01479 811711 (Aviemore)
Ellis Brigham : 01479 810175 (Aviemore)
Nevis Sport: 01479 810239 (Aviemore)

Some Top Tips for Visitors over the Easter Holidays
latest report
Thanks, never noticed the info there.
latest report
Quote:

You seem to have a habit to going back the same place quickly.

If you were in 3V in mid Dec and since Val Thorens is part of 3V then you went back 2 weeks later for the new year.

There's a clue at the bottom of this posting...

The Zillertal return trip was more coincidental, however. I did a last minute lads' trip in January (to Mayrhofen) then flew to Munich with Mrs B in early March on Easyjet flights that we booked about 7 months before. As my brother and his wife were in the Zillertal that weekend we decided to meet up with them - especially as he booked us into the digs he was in and saved us knocking on doors when we got there.

Quote:

what used to be your bank balance

I know. But then again I adopt the philosophy of one of my old uncles who said before he died, "Memories are better than dreams."

Never a truer word spoken, in my opinion. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister wrote:
Quote:

what used to be your bank balance

I know. But then again I adopt the philosophy of one of my old uncles who said before he died, "Memories are better than dreams."

Never a truer word spoken, in my opinion. wink

Very very true and wise words indeed, but what i have found this year is the memories of the last one are making me dream of the next one already snowHead
ski holidays
roga, lol yep, i'm counting on the big 4x4, winter tires and a husband who's very experienced driving in Canadian snow . . . if all that fails i'll try the power of sulking until he gets me there Smile
snow conditions
snobunni, sounds like you have more sensible transport than we do for the potential conditions! Oh well, fingers and toes crossed we'll get there Toofy Grin

In the meantime to whet your appetites guys check this out (East Wall of the Ciste) from today:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=6386

snowHead
snow report
roga, you big tease! I have to get through 3 more days of work yet!
latest report
LOL, oh well I'd better not link to the rest of the photos on Winterhighland ... I must mention it's started to snow tonight though Very Happy
latest report
roga, i'm getting snow reports by the hour practically from my friends fiance who is coming up with us . . . its only his 2nd time out skiing lol
ski holidays
Nice one, sounds like he's quite keen snowHead
latest report
roga, he's very very excited lol unfortunatley my friend cant ski cos she broke her shoulder at Castleford, so i have to look after him Twisted Evil i've promised to be good
snow conditions
snobunni, better be good then and stay on the easy stuff Wink

Still hooning it down BTW snowHead
snow conditions
roga, of course i will Wink
ski holidays
snobunni, Laughing
latest report
My truck driving mate reports loads of snow in the area of Chillyjockoshire. He's queuing to get into Edinburgh Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy