Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone tried Salomon X Wing 4, or Head Peak 73 or can recommend similiar?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'll be hopefully getting some skis in the sales and would like some opinions.

I am an intermediate skier, 5'8", about 12 stone. I ski solely at the local fridge but will hopefully be venturing to Austria in the next season or two and maybe a weekend or two in Scotland. Won't be doing big mountain stuff, or deep powder or freestyle. Just family piste cruising and maybe a little light fluff if there's some off the edges of the pistes.

I've been looking at Head Peak 73's which according to the hype have been tested a lot (and therefore a good sign) as a reasonable all mountain ski. Also, there are some Salomon x wing 4's locally that are cheap.

Does anyone own either of them / skied them / broke them?
Please feel free to recommend anything similiar. I've also looked at Ski Warehouse's Elan's that seem quite well made in the flesh.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shootingmike, My SO Kitty teaches on the Peak 73 at Hemel and loves them, so does a couple of other instructors. I've had reports back from them that they took them to the mountains, whereby they thought they were a good all round ski until they were pushed on piste. At high speeds they became quite flappy and unstable, his skiing is by your description more advanced than yours and he does ski pretty quick, so the high speed issues probably won't affect you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmmm, Cheers Spyderman,

Although I'm no Franz Klammer, and will mainly be pootling about with the family, I can turn it up a notch sometimes and ski quite aggressively. Maybe a bit too wobbly then.....

Anyone any ideas on the x wing 4 or other suggestions??????
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shootingmike, For 99% of the time they'll be perfect for you. You'd have to be going pretty ballistic to really find their shortcomings.

The X-Wing Tornado's are good, I prefer the Ti version,as they're stiffer, but I'm heavier, taller and higher ability than you, so found the normal X-Wing a bit soft.

HEAD Supershape Magmum would tick all of your boxes too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can recommend the Scott Neo, because I have a pair. I find them better for on piste than anything I have ever hired, (although they are marketed as a 50/50 on-piste, off-piste ski). They are also great in powder too.
This season I have used them in Cairngorm, Zermatt, Innsbruck and Italy in a wide variety of snow conditions
I have the 166 cm skis, and weigh about 11 stone with my rucsac on.
I bought mine in the sales last year for £350 including bindings.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks chaps. I think the Peak 73's sound right about for me. Regarding the speed issue, I have to be realistic about the skiing I do - which is 100% fridge at the moment. Even when we do go further afield I'll have the missus and two young kids in tow so won't be trying for any medals!

Thanks again.... Just need to find some cheap now!!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just bumping this back up....

Anyone with the X Wing 4's?????
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shootingmike, Peak 73's,just bought some tonight at Decathlon Stockport , unbelievable £239,what a bargain,got the last pair of 170's only had 2 163's left
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy