Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New study shows helmet use not associated with slope behaviour

Poster: A snowHead
New research looking at factors assoicated with self-reported risk-taking behaviour on ski slopes has found that helmet use is about the same in risk taking and cautious skiers. This seems to negate the argument that helmets cause a false sense of security, and so an increase in risk-taking behaviour....The research, which included 527 skiers and snowboarders over the age of 12, observed behaviour in four typical ski areas in Austria last season. Other findings were that risk-taking behaviour on ski slopes is associated with younger age, higher skiing ability, male sex, lower body mass index and on average higher speeds, but not type of gear used (i.e. skis or snowboard) or physical fitness.

Ciatation: Ruedl G et al. Factors asscoiated with self-reported risk-taking behaviour on ski slopes. Br J Sports Med 2010; 44: 206-6.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
el Hen,
Blimey, another helmet thread (;>)

Have you a link to the source?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did this research also find out about the religion of the bloke at the Vatican?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gordyjh wrote:
Did this research also find out about the religion of the bloke at the Vatican?
el Hen wrote:
New research looking at factors assoicated with self-reported risk-taking behaviour on ski slopes has found that helmet use is about the same in risk taking and cautious skiers.

Really depends on what is meant by cautious skiers... surely cautious skiers are unlikely to take any risk.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gordyjh, you mean
Quote:
that risk-taking behaviour on ski slopes is associated with younger age, higher skiing ability, male sex, lower body mass index and on average higher speeds,

Is not stating the bleeding obvious.

BTW I think bloke's religion is Pedophilia, He seems to employ a lot of converts Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Did the research take in to account that most helmets make wearing goggles preferrable to sun glasses.
The combination of loss of peripheral vision from goggles and reduced hearing from helmets may make a helmetted skier less aware of skiers and boarders alongside them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abominable, escuse my french abominable, but that's total b@lls, both the peripheral vision and reduced hearing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
excuse my french abominable, but that's total b@lls, both the peripheral vision and reduced hearing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John wrote:
excuse my french abominable, but that's total b@lls, both the peripheral vision and reduced hearing.

(apologies for double post, stupid Friday fingers...)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lol how to make a double post in a triple however Dr John, I totally agree abominable, 's post is nonsense.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm something big in IT, would you believe it...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hang on. You're suggesting that a study based on 'self-reported risk-taking behaviour' somehow negates an argument that says helmet wearing affects the accuracy of people's assemssnet of risk. How does that work then ? If 'helmets cause a false sense of security', then you can't rely on 'self-reported risk-taking behaviour', so the study can't say anything useful about that argument
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
viv, Laughing Laughing Laughing In a nutshell.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dwarf Vader,
Quote:

that risk-taking behaviour on ski slopes is associated with younger age, higher skiing ability, male sex, lower body mass index and on average higher speeds,

Is not stating the bleeding obvious.

No?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
viv, thank you, too busy spluttering by the inanity of this is "research" to put it any better rolling eyes
snow conditions
I presume this article is in the March issue of Br J Sports Med which seems as yet unavailable online: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/current

It would be nice to read the actual article.

I note a number of people here rubbishing this article: i'm not sure any of them have read the article either.

Gerhard Ruedl works at the University of Innsbruck Sports Sciences Institute, and I don't think he's an idiot.

I have emailed him (gerhard.ruedl@uibk.ac.at) to ask for access to his article, and comments on what has been posted here.
ski holidays
Mmmm If the citation is correct it would appear that the article appears on a single page and may thus be an abstract. A lot of abstracts do not eventually make the literature for various reasons.
Will be interesting to see what it eventually says though.
ski holidays
Jonpim, It seems to be on line now - but only if you subscribe.
From the abstract:

Methods Speeds of skiers and snowboarders were measured with a radar speed gun and sex, age, nationality, height, weight and helmet use, used type of gear, self-estimated skill level and self-estimated fitness level were recorded. In addition, participants were asked if they considered themselves as cautious or risk-taking skier or snowboarder

So the recorded speeds and physical facts, including helmet use, were compared with self estimated. skill, fitness and risk levels to arrive at conclusions. Quite different to what has been mentioned above.
snow report
Quote:
number of people here rubbishing this article

Jonpim. Not sure if you're trying to include me in this group, but I wasn't commenting on the article at all, just the logical fallacy in the first two sentences on the OP
latest report
so should we be scarred of young skinny blokes then, is that another way to look at the research? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Gerhard Ruedl kindly replied to my email, and sent me a reprint of the article.
He had read this thread, and thanked me for not thinking him an idiot Smile

He was surprised that his article was cited here on March 10, as he only received his copy of the article on March 16 Confused

As has been stated above, the methods of this study were misrepresented by some posters on this forum.

The paper starts with an excellent review of the literature on whether or not wearing a helmet increases risk-taking behaviour.
The studies so far are conflcting.
Gerhard and his Innsbruck colleagues hoped to reduce the confusion.

I am fascinated that 90% of those approached agreed to take part in the study.
Also interesting was the number of helmet wearers: 60%.
Participants were not chosen: investigators just took measurements of consecutive skiers as they went down the slope

(The recent rapid increase in the number of skiers wearing helmets was featured on the radio 4 Today Program this morning - I was surprised to hear no one suggest the unfortunate death or Natasha Richardson may have had an effect)

I would like to get a copy of this article made available to snowheads, alongwith the 24 references.

Indeed, I suggest it would be good for snowheads to acquire a library of published papers on ski injury: cause and prevention.

Mike Langran's site is very good, but he does not provide easy access to the published data.
snow report
Just had a quick look over there and found this :

Quote:
OFF PISTE SAFETY

28th August 2009

Page being updated - please check back soon.

Do you think that he's taking time to consider whether to include a section on avalanche cords ? ? ?
snow report
Jonpim, Nice one, thanks for the info and going to the effort to get the clarification. Very Happy Have to say I'm quite impressed that sH's got the article before the author... Shocked
snow conditions
hmmm...having not read the article, i can't be sure, but...

To me the issue is weather 'wearing a helmet increases an individuals risk taking', which is different to whether 'most risk takers wear helmets'

of course this is always going to be difficult to answer, as it depends somewhat on personality type (really cautious people probably wear as much protective clothing as can be found in the shops even if they take no risks), as well as trying to define risk (speed is only one aspect, there is also type of slope skied and type of turn/where they turn etc etc). It also requires individuals to be very honest about whether their risk taking.

Anyway, it would be good to see the article!
ski holidays
Christ on a bike, it's Kenton Cool Shocked
ski holidays
'fraid not - it's Guy Willett - KC's business partner! KC is still on everest...
ski holidays
dreamguides, I did wonder.....still, nice to see you, to see you, nice
snow report
The Voice of Reason wrote:
dreamguides, I did wonder - someone has to stay home and do all the real work, eh?.....still, nice to see you, to see you, nice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy