Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Giro helmet repairs

Poster: A snowHead
The strap at the back on my helmet that holds on my goggles has split. Does anyone have any experience of having this sort of thing repaired and how much it might cost? The helmet is about 3 years old now anyway. Should I just cut my losses and replace it? It's not had that much wear.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suggest duct tape.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't Giro have a replacement policy for crash damaged helmets wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
geetee, you can buy replacements, but they're not easy to find - I got one from some place in Florida after e-mailing Giro and asking about it. Cost some sort of peanuts amount, much better than buying a new helmet. If I remember the name of the place I'll post it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geetee wrote:
.....The helmet is about 3 years old now anyway. Should I just cut my losses and replace it? It's not had that much wear.

The consensus in this TGR thread was that an un-crashed helmet should be replaced about every 5 years. I guess the posters were no more expert than you and I - but it does seem reasonable that a helmet exposed to UV (outer) and sweat (inner) and time related decomposition of plastic has a limited life.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
adithorp, Very Happy not sure I'd get away with that one!

Lizzard, thanks that would be great. It seems a shame to have to buy a new helmet just because of that.

Peter S, which is what we used on little geetee's helmet when a similar thing happened. However, I often swap my goggles from my sunshine ones to my low/flat light ones and back again and duct tape would be a bit too permanent. I did wonder if I could fix it back on with superglue but I don't reckon it would hold.

achilles, well it still has another 2 years left in it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I lost one of the removable inserts from my Giro Fuse this Xmas. Walked into the shop where I'd bought it 5 years earlier and they had exactly the right part in stock. Just ask at any shop that stocks Giro helmets.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
5 years is the recommendation for motorcycle helmets, but these are worn everyday and subject to approx 1500 days of UV, sweat and general handling in their life.

I see no reason why a skiing helmet in good condition should be thrown away after as little as 30 days use.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker, Except for a Scott helmet which recommended 3 years life, I have seen nothing definitive. Time wrecks its own havoc with plastic - whether used or not, of course - all the more so, I guess, when you add the effects of sweat on polystyrene foam (ie the inner). But I have seen no research that gives clear-cut advice. Have you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker, I would have thought that motorcycle helmets are a lot sturdier than ski helmets. However I do agree that it seems excessive to have to throw away a perfectly good helmet after 3 years of not that much use. I've probably used it for about 12 weeks. I've just looked on the Giro website and they recommend changing every 3 years.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I've just looked on the Giro website and they recommend changing every 3 years.

Well, they would, wouldn't they: they want to sell you a new helmet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee,
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/4628/products/Giro_Seam_Spare_Goggle_Clip.aspx?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=PriceComp&utm_term=Froogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

May not be the right model but they can obviously get them. Give them a ring.

Amazing thing Google
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ricfrench, you are a complete star! I did try Google (and normally I do find things) but I didn't know what words to search for. In hindsight I probably should have tried "Giro helmet spares" or something like that.

Thanks again!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geetee, No worries, "giro snow helmet spares" was the killer search, without the snow you get a load of bike shops.
Hope they can sort you out wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ricfrench, hmmmm just checked again and they are out of stock for my helmet - Giro Fuse. Also, looking at the clip, it has snapped at the end that is attached with a sort of permanent rivet and not where the popper is so I don't know if I can actually replace it without proper tools. I think this might end up being the helmet that I only take to Hemel after all.
snow report
I worked for the R+T dept of a multinational plastics producer for 15 yrs, if a helmet is kept in a cool, dry and dark place, the degradation of the helmet should be negligible after 10 yrs or more, if you only use a helmet one week a year, it would probably last a lifetime if stored correctly
snow report
tangowaggon, problem is, most of us don't have such storage places - particularly the 'cool' bit (unless we live in the States , Austria or Germany and so may have a cellar). In typical recent summers there have been spells, sometimes prolonged, of 35°C or so. The aviation and motoring worlds generally live by manufacturers' advice. Yet, in the skiing world, those who enthusiastically promote helmets as safety devices feel they should overrule what the maker says. Intriguing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy