Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where not to eat - www.restoski.com

Poster: A snowHead
Please let us all know where you prefer to eat and avoid in the main Alp resorts, Chamonix, Verbier etc,....leave a rating at www.restoski.com
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RestoSki, welcome to snowheads. An interesting idea, I was almost tempted to remove this post as I thought it may be spam - on balance I'll leave it for the moment. Would like to see more resorts and restaurants added, though, there's a fairly limited selection at the moment - of the resorts you list, I hae been to only one in my skiing, and you don;t feature any of the restaurants I remember using! Some kind of key would be good too, to show what the colours mean?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What is to stop restaurant owners leaving good reviews of their own restautrants and bad reviews of others ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What does the yellow/black rating mean?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hyweljenkins, Think it means 'as yet unrated', would have made sense to put it in the key though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RestoSki, I have had a few glasses of wine so please forgive typos, etc.

Firstly, who are you?

My take on your site is that its a really good idea. It lacks (obviously) proper content - as in no one but you have reviewed many places. It has a few obvious errors (such as placing in town Les Houches places that are actually up the mountain). That aside, I think it's a fab idea though I don't know quite how you make money out of it. (given that al the best, most recommended places are full most of the time.)

Good luck though!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
worth speaking to a good lawyer before you get sued
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, Why is he any more likely to get sued than the owners of sites such as Tripadvisor?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been totally ripped off too many times by going into a ski resto just because it's the nearest spot. When I'm skiing every weekend and being regularly ripped off it starts to get a bit annoying so really the website is for myself and others like me who want to be able to make an informed choice whilst on the slopes, about where to eat.

As for the content, I have reviewed as many places as physically possible, but I really need people to contribute and leave ratings too. That way it will be a really useful resource.

As for making money, that's not the point. If I make some cash, great, but with this being the internet, I'm not expecting that. The whole idea of the site is simply to provide a guide for myself and others.

So please leave some comments if you can!

Cheers!

www.restoski.com
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:
davidof, Why is he any more likely to get sued than the owners of sites such as Tripadvisor?

for starters he's giving his own opinion, honestly I would check the legals.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for your concern, I'll worry about the legal stuff. Just let me know what you think of the restos!

thanks,

www.restoski.com
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What would be useful is posting a photograph of the menu so people can see what was on offer when you visited.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Needs the facility to add more restaurants, too
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RestoSki, You could use the reviews in this thread to expand your coverage.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=810920
Perhaps admin would want a few €€ by way of a fee Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pistehead - some of the review do have shots of the menu in fact, but it's not always possible.

nbt - I have an email addy there that anybody can use should they wish to add to the site. I will make it clearer on the site that users can do this.

boredsuring - see my above post, if you are willing to add stuff that is missing please just drop me a mail!
ski holidays
RestoSki wrote:
Thanks for your concern, I'll worry about the legal stuff.

Many of the large, on slope, restaurants in the dolomites are run by Hmmmmm (shall we just say) large families or, (a bigger probelm for you) in some areas, by very friendly groups of Russian mates.
The legal stuff may not be your only worry

Have a great time doing what you're doing – but it may it a better idea to get a real job and not start a web site specifically aimed at slagging off people. No doubt you can justify it (in your own head), but I’d prefer to save myself any “problems”? and get a job rather than sit and wait for the Google ad words revenue to start rolling in.

Up to you
snow conditions
RestoSki, Great idea!

Some ideas

It may not always be possible to link a resort or area to 1 town. Jungfrau region Kleine Scheidegg/Mannlichen is the area of both Grindelwald and Wengen. Then Grindelwald has another (Bus linked) area... You may want to give this some thought as to come up with a clear way to note things down.

Maybe something like Jungfrau region - Grindelwald First +++ Kleine Scheidegg/Mannlichen +++ Murren/Schilthorn... Which may in turn be subdevided like you do now.

Trois Vallees - Valtho +++ meribel etc etc..

As for legalities.. there are plenty of user-review sites around, so something should be possible..

I suppose I can help you with getting resto's for the Jungfrau up Wink how would you like the information coming to you?
ski holidays
Ronald - thanks for your ideas! drop me a mail at info@restoski.com and we can discuss.
latest report
Quote:

Many of the large, on slope, restaurants in the dolomites are run by Hmmmmm (shall we just say) large families or, (a bigger probelm for you) in some areas, by very friendly groups of Russian mates.
The legal stuff may not be your only worry

Quote:

worth speaking to a good lawyer before you get sued

And other amusing gems. Whoever Restoski is, he/she/it doesn't leave a calling card. The Whois database doesn't tell you anything because he/she/it has a privacy service switched on. So, that's why he/she/it says:
Quote:

Thanks for your concern, I'll worry about the legal stuff

Would be very tough tracking down the actual entity behind the site.

I think it's a non-starter commercially and basically a bag o' pooh anyway. Sites have to be MUCH cleverer and MUCH more useful and comprehensive than this to get off first base.
ski holidays
If anyone know who runs the site can I vote (BIG pile of ....) to the coke served at the McDonalds in Verona (just near the arch to the main square) it's flat and tasteless. Yuk. Horrid.
As we have to go there each week I hope this new site will make them take an interest in this.
snow report
making cash isn't the point, if I wanted to do that I wouldn't have set up a website tbh. It's more the fact that my friends and I ski often and have been ripped off too often, and need a guide to restos on the piste, it's that simple.
snow report
RestoSki, if it's just for your mates you don't need a website, try asking another diner what the grub is like and judge for yourself - it's easy, poke your nose in the door and you'll soon know. Trouble is that the traffic light system of saying whether a place is good or not just doesn't cope with the lightyears of difference between a Zermatt mountain restaurant and some rip-off pig swill trough in Chamonix. Sorry, it's more touchy feely than that.
ski holidays
Good luck to you! Great idea as restaurants on the slopes do vary and it's always good to know where other people have enjoyed or otherwise.

Personally on the 'about' page I'd add a disclaimer saying something to the effect of 'All reviews are either the personal opinion of RestoSki or its controbutors reflecting their personal experiences. Reviews do not consitute neither recommendations nor otherwise of any restaurants concerned'.
snow report
RestoSki I added some comments on places I'd been to recently. However it is difficult to review using only your simple traffic light system particularly with restaurants varying so much as to the type that they are. For example, a big self serve cafeteria might be great if you want to stop for 10 minutes, throw sausage and chips down your neck and they clean the tables quickly, serve you quickly and have more than one till. However, if you wanted a fast lunch and you went into a laid back wooden chalet where they expect you to have a second bottle of wine and coffee and while away your afternoon then you're not going to be happy. But it is a perfectly good restaurant if you want that kind of thing.

The same thing happens on other review sites such as hotels where, for example, if your shower doesn't work you will slate it even though the bar service was good or the room was immaculate and they'd only had a boiler problem for a few hours.

But overall I think it is a good idea. The more info on it the better IMHO. At least then if you want a cafe you can find one and if you want to snooze for the afternoon you know where to go.
latest report
If you can do an equivalent of the book/website of Where to Ski and Snowboard for mountain restaurants that would be fantastic.
snow report
Looks good to me. From every acorn and all that.

You do need the facility to add more restaurants and resorts, I can give you loads of info on the places we ate in Espace Killy and Andorra this season, but currently don't have the facility to do that.

I like the idea, before I go away in April I'd really like a list of places to aim for at lunchtime, and whether that's a burger bar or a big sit-down lunch the comments box can cover that. It's not like I'm going to have to read thousands of reports to find what I want, there's only a few restaurants in each resort really and the traffic light system means I can find the places that are definitely worth avoiding and which are a better option for a good value lunch.
ski holidays
Bloody good idea, I've not seen it done in this format before, and the piste-map format is a real USP. How about expanding to 3V and Espace Killy?
snow report
Thanks for the feedback all. I would be really grateful to any of you who would like to add new resto or resorts to the site, just send me an email. Monium please send me an email at info@restoski.com and I'll gladly get it set up.

I've only covered the places near to Geneva at the moment, however if it gets more popular then I will start expanding. Will be a good excuse to visit more far-away resorts wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PS - Dr John, if you can advise on 3v and others please do send me an email!
ski holidays
RestoSki, will do
ski holidays
Just as an idea, how about a series of checkboxes in the review area?

Eg.

Recommended for :
□ Luch
□ Evening meal
□ Family friendly
□ Quick bite
□ Laid back wooden chalet where they expect you to have a second bottle of wine and coffee and while away your afternoon

This way in the future when there are loads of resorts and loads of restaurants you could easily offer a search function.
snow conditions
Thanks for the suggestions snowsteve. If it gets more people leaving ratings etc then I will do that. I know what you mean as there is a large split between some places, and I have had some ideas similar to your about how to make it simple for users to choose.

cheers,

restoski
latest report
davidof wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

for starters he's giving his own opinion, honestly I would check the legals.

How can you be sued for stating an opinion Puzzled

Honestly I'm not trolling just being thick - if I say this cafe was overpriced and the service was non-existant I am surely perfectly entitled to do so. Can understand I could be sued if I said the barman was doing his sister or something - but for an opinion?

Jeez if I can be sued for stating an opinion I had better stop posting here Shocked
snow report
[quote="Boris"]
How can you be sued for stating an opinion Puzzled
Quote:

One man's opinion is another man's libel. I'm just saying to be careful that's all. The French like nothing more than engaging in bitter legal disputes.

[quote="Boris"]
Jeez if I can be sued for stating an opinion I had better stop posting here Shocked

Are you giving an opinion?
snow report
BTW - the traffic light system is the European the piste map system! Green - easy, Blue - intermediate, Red - Difficult, Yellow and Black - off piste...I spent ages thinking that one up! wink
ski holidays
Boris, I think the problem may arise from something like this. I'm not a lawyer but I think that "libel" (which these days does cover the internet) is defamation. Writing that a restaurant was expensive (or cheap) is probably OK, writing that it was crap could end you up in court.

There is a phenomenon known as "libel tourism" whereas any Johnny Foreigner makes his suit in an English court which chillingly means that the defendant has to prove that he was right. Not that the appellant has to prove that he was wrong. c.f. Simon Singh and the British Chiropractors Association.

F'rinstance. You post on Restoski that the "Flying Gastropig" in Val d'Espair was rubbish because his famed "Hand Made Diots of Doggies Back Bottom" tasted like a dog's bum, Monsieur G. Pig takes offence and sues you for €1 (i.e. about a million £) in London. You have then to prove that the "Hand Made Diots of Doggies Back Bottom" were indeed rubbish or you are up to your neck in pooh.

Tricky once you've eaten or binned them really.

However, I think that if you said that his restaurant was really lovely but you didn't like his dog's bum sausages, you'd be OK.

Don't take my word for it.

I have a sausage machine though, which is really chilling.

Here doggy, doggy.

I am not mad.
ski holidays
I see - well just to clear up any misunderstanding. The restaurant in Villaroger was useless, they ignored me and I stomped off in a huff swearing. The pizza place in Arc 2000 was fab

As has been mentioned - but it would be a damm hard job trying to track someone down from a comment online
ski holidays
Thing is this... a proper publishing business has liability insurance and being sued isn't a business-threatening issue. Restoski doesn't look like a proper business to me and won't get sued because (a) it helps if you know who to sue and (b) you only bother sue people who you can be sure can pay the damages if there are any and (c) a site like that with miniscule exposure would really have to go some to cause damage to someone's business or reputation.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Boris, I think the problem may arise from something like this. I'm not a lawyer but I think that "libel" (which these days does cover the internet) is defamation. Writing that a restaurant was expensive (or cheap) is probably OK, writing that it was crap could end you up in court.

As a general rule, subjective opinion is OK provided it is not obviously malicious.

But if you post anything bad which is an objective thing, then you can be successfully sued if it is false.

So in fact, you have the two things exactly the wrong way around above. Writing "it was rubbish" is obviously subjective opinion, while writing "it was expensive" when a factual comparison with similar local establishments showed it wasn't particularly so could land you in court.
latest report
Quote:

could land you in court
but it won't of course. Relax.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy