Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bonding P-tex to metal

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bloody rocks!! Sad
Just put a 3cm x 1.5cm gouge in my new(ish) Head Supershapes, underfoot right up against the edge. Exposing the smooth metal. It is interesting how shallow the gouge is, the bases on these seem real thin to me.

So I understand that the p-tex won't bond to anything other than itself so I won't be able to make a standard repair. I thought it might be worth trying to spread some epoxy on the metal and rough it up so that at least the p-tex had more of a chance bonding with it than the smooth metal, so I had a go. It didn't work...p-tex only bonds to p-tex apparantely, so as i scraped it the repair just came right out. I have cleared the epoxy off the metal and and am now back to square 1.

I have read a little about Metal Grip which appears to be like p-tex but with the ability to bond to metal, it comes in p-tex like strips but is designed for use with ''Base Doc tool''. As I don't have one of those, is it possible to use without the tool, like a p-tex candle or do I really have to take my skis to the shop?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just stick some epoxy in, nice & smooth and forget about it : this will protect the exposed metal edge, and make b*gger all difference to your skiing - it's not as if you're looking to shave micro seconds off your race time (or maybe you are Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have used Metal Grip to repair my skis, and I use a hot dry (ie not steam) iron to apply it. The iron should be much hotter than you would use for waxing, and the 'cotton' setting on the old iron I use seems to work all right. Metal Grip seems tougher than Toko repair strips which I have used previously, and is not so prone to melting when you wax the skis.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eclectic, Spyderjon is your man (http://www.skituning.co.uk). Drop him a line as I'm positive he will have some good advice for you, plus the stuff you need to repair your ski. I'm pretty sure that he also had Metal Grip and will be able to offer advice how to use it without the need for a Base Doc Tool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Eclectic

the stuff you need is called co-polymer ptex

made exactly for this, Anything Technical in Kendal should have soome as they import all the wintersteiger stuff too

if its really big, better to have a patch cut out and epoxied in ( ski tech job as its a slow / heat cure system)

HTH
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
eclectic, clean the area then use a soldering iron on a moderate setting to and melt the metal grip into place against the metal. Scrape it down if proud of the base. Then repair with ptex as normal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
youtube has a few vids on base repairs.

e.g.
http://youtube.com/v/XeaTw9cxbHc
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a similar problem with a deep gouge on the edge of some skis I was selling in FleaBay, the guys at Edge & wax gave me some hot metal / metal grip stuff which you solder in to make contact with the metal, once set (12hrs) you then can P-tex in the remaining area, did a superb job - it's great stuff but I've tried finding it on the Internet and no joy. I'm up at Edge & wax next week and will see if I can find out if they sell it etc
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,65/category_id,21/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aaaaahhh thanks for that - could have sworn that I'd already looked at your site for the Metal Grip - I used an old fashioned soldering iron and that worked really well!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy