Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A wee skiing related question for softshell users...

Poster: A snowHead
As i'm currently in the process of looking for a new jacket, i've realised that i've given little thought to getting a soft shell over a hard shell.

I'm looking at this from a purely skiing point of view - i have little interest in how it's going to cope with torrential rain. I do need it to be able to handle what conditions Scottish winter mountain weather can throw at it. I'd also say that i'm pretty unlikely to head out into the mountains if the forecast is horrific.

Do you ever feel that you would be better off in a hardshell jacket when you're skiing?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When it was windy the softshell wasn't enough on its own. You could opt for a softshell and a very thin, compact, foldaway, less expensive hardshell though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, Mountain Hardwear Alchemy does me for everything Alpine. Had mine for about 5 years of summer climbing and winter skiing - fantastic bit of kit. As DB says I do also have a hard shell stuffed in the rucksack if rain is a possibility

http://www.theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Alchemy_Jacket.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My Salomon Softshell is 10,000mm waterproof and windproof, and breaths better than the gore-tex it replaced. Take a look at their 3 in 1 jackets and salopettes

It also doesnt rustle when your skiing and is stretchy so much more comfortable
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You really need to decide what kind of skiing you will be doing as to how much breathability you need, don't forget those chairlifts can be pretty cold.

I went with a softshell hardshell combo this year but only really pulled the shell out when in bad visibility and guiding others as i find red a bit brighter than black! I think softshells have really improved in recent years and are definitely a viable alternative now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would say if you're going away fromt he pistes/ easy availability of shelter a hard shell is still ultimately higher performing, although the gap has probably lessened recently. Saying that, I often use my soft shell instead of hard shell (it's a nicer colour lol) unless it's a blizzard or I'm planning an offpsite mission.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my arcyterx Goretex soft shell (which isn't as soft as others) has been fine down to about -15 (with 1 long sleeve merino top and 2 thin fleeces underneath) and in wind etc etc
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Softshell = resort and/or very fair weather skiing in my book. T shirt + good ventilated hardshell fine even when warm out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't understand the difference between soft shell and hard shell Embarassed Can someone point me in the right direction? I currently use a standard type of ski jacket - you know, snow skirt, pit zips pockets for various things and with insulation /padding.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski,
Quote:

my arcyterx Goretex soft shell (which isn't as soft as others) has been fine down to about -15 (with 1 long sleeve merino top and 2 thin fleeces underneath) and in wind etc etc

I'll second that, only time I've ever felt I needed a hardshell was getting rained on in resort. Even then was more waterproof than I expected. I wouldn't go walking in it in a British winter though!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My softshell is more waterproof and breathable and probably more durable than my old goretex shell. Its also much more confortable and stretches. The gap between hard and shoftshells has not only been closed but well and truly shattered recently

I'll take my Saloman 3 in 1 softshell out in any blizzard in preference to my old gore outers any day

But like all things there are good and bad of each, the best examples of softshells are superb. But there are plenty of bad ones of each
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How do you tell good from bad? What criteria do you look for? Price doesn't automatically reflect quality - in most things there are really good budget options where you're not paying a supplement for a posh label.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have switched to a softshell if thats what theyare called ( i also have the normal ski jackets as well)

picked mine up in la ros last year in one of the shops on the main road
it by a company i have never heard of but it looked the dogs danglies came in about 4-5 colours i remember

i cannot get it at the momement - its called Norwegian technical or something odd like that
had two layers and all the zips, snow skirts etc - and best of all was only £70

wore it this year - minus 6 t shirt under neath , and it was still very warm

totally recomend it
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gadge wrote:
kitenski,
Quote:

I'll second that, only time I've ever felt I needed a hardshell was getting rained on in resort. Even then was more waterproof than I expected. I wouldn't go walking in it in a British winter though!

I emailed arcteryx before buying mine, their softshell is exactly the same waterproofness as their hard shell, hence I have worn it in a British downpour!

Exact Answer and Question below:

There is no difference in waterproofness of any of our Gore jackets but there will be a difference in the overall breathability with the Sidewinder being better at moving the moisture from your body away from your skin and outward which in turn helps keep you dry.

Customer Service
ARC'TERYX Equipment Inc.
www.arcteryx.com

--------------------------------------------------------

Summary: Service Forms: ASKSPCL Customer No 60101
Question:
I'm trying to decide between a Sidewinder and Stingray jacket for skiing and using around town in the rain! Is there any difference in the waterproofness and breathability of the two products? Thanks,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
Softshell = resort and/or very fair weather skiing in my book. T shirt + good ventilated hardshell fine even when warm out.

see above, no difference in waterproofness of some softshell vs hardshells.....
snow conditions
Butterfly, Spent a week skiing in Transylvania last week, ski trousers were Aldi softshells which have stood up no problem to the repeated spills an improving skier pushing it a bit to hard every now and then subjected them to.
On the colder mornings (-8 or so at the coldest, little wind) it was my Rossignol tribe jacket (£37.50 if I remember right, certainly under £40 from TK Maxx) over an Aldi merino t shirt and thin decathlon fleece, by afternoon most days temp was similar but I'd warmed up so it was an Aldi softshell jacket over the merino t shirt. Total cost of my softshell outfit was about £25 (about £15 for the trousers and £10 the jacket, bought after they'd been hanging round the shop a few weeks so got reduced) and it did a job I can't fault!
Proof you don't have to spend a fortune for decent kit!
snow report
Quote:

Total cost of my softshell outfit was about £25

Good effort Smile
ski holidays
kitenski, this is contrary to what I have been told (in Ellis Brigham) and read on various review sites.

The soft shell Gore-tex Soft Shell (Stringray) breathes better than the Gore-tex Pro Shell (Stinger). The Pro Shell is more durable though (good for climbers).
snow report
Bikeandsnow, so would you believe Ellis Brigham or the manufacturer? I know who my money is on....
ski holidays
I spent a week in Les Arcs in February using a (quite pricey) Norrona softshell. It did me fine down to the mid minus twenties on the coldest couple of days along with a wool base layer, and a medium thick fleece. I did feel a little cool on the lifts, but I don't mind that as I know that if I'm warm there I'll boil when on the hill!

I had a hard shell in my pack and never took it out all week.

I used to use a big insulated Spyder jacket but this was far too hot and bulky for me.
ski holidays
halfhand, I'm not entirely sure what the difference between a hard and soft shell is either. I have a normal ski jacket like yourself, I don't believe it comes into the category of 'shell'. I think the idea behind the shell thing is to have lots of layers with the shell being the outermost layer. What one does with all these layers when they get a bit hot and have to shed a few, I have no idea. With my jacket I just open the zips and vents. However, I might add that I'm a holiday skier and not into all this technical gubbins.
snow report
kitenski, have got exactly the same dilemma going on so was interested to see the reply you received. All but decided on a ladies Acteryx Stingray hard shell myself, but have not been able to try on one in a shop as apparently only female stick insects can ski. [but that's another story].

Will be having a look around the resorts when I get out to Mottaret.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy