Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will this jacket be waterproof?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need a jacket for spring use. My insulated jacket is too warm by end of March.

I'm looking at this one:
http://uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/men-s-astor-soft-shell-jacket.html?colour=592

The North Face Astor jacket.

It uses their own "Apex ClimateBlock" fabric.

I'm not expecting Goretex Pro Shell levels of waterproofness but will this jacket be up to it? Or will it start to take in water if it snows?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm... "waterproof" is a hard criteria to meet and still be comfortable to wear.

Soft shells rock though, I have Goretex Softshell that I have worn in heavy rain with no problems and it's brilliant in snow. I suspect the TNF one will be similar, I had an original Apex Softshell and it was great in even heavy snow, they breathe really well too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a north face soft shell jacket which has kept me dry during fairly nasty down pours in london, so my 2 cents is yes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, I will second that - I am running a Mountain Equipment G2 Jacket soft shell had it for 5 seasons and still doing the business Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bikeandsnow, the relevant word in the description of that jacket is not "ClimateBlock" but "HyVent". HyVent has been TNF's _budget_ DWR tradename/process for almost a decade now.

Decent in most fresh snow as it's falling; not something I would rely on in a rainstorm. HyVent pants? Don't sit in a puddle.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Hyvent jacket/salopettes have been waterproof in everything from blizzards to heavy rainstorms (well, the jackets been fine in the rain). For spring skiing just get a shell jacket and wear with a t-shirt. Take a fleece in your backpack in case it gets cold.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 22-02-10 15:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
With a fleece backing for warmth

Not sure I'd want such a thing in a spring jacket.........

When are you going? The spring sales kick in during March so you should be able to save a few £££
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no it won't be waterproof but it will be snowproof.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cotswold and Ellis brigham have a few things reduced at the moment.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, if I wear this with a short sleeve base layer, it should be fine until end of April.

My other jacket is quite bulky and has feathers in it - good for Jan and Feb.

I think this North Face jacket is pretty un-bulky.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just bought one and it's arrived.

I tried running water over it under the tap. Not sure how valid that test it. But it's more waterproof than any other ski jacket I've ever owned.

Quality looks good. I'm aware of some Snowheads concerns regarding the drop in quality of TNF.

Will have to wait and see how it goes.

The thickness of the jacket is ideal for March to late April skiing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy