Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's ski cross

Poster: A snowHead
Start time
Qualification UK 1830 Vanc 1030
Medal round UK 2100 Vanc 1300

Start List
Quote:

Bib Athlete
1 AUT HUTTARY Karin
2 GER MANHARD Julia
3 SUI LUEDI Sanna
4 NOR HOEIE GJEFSEN Marte
5 FRA DAVID Ophelie
6 SUI SMITH Fanny
7 CAN SERWA Kelsey
8 SLO FARIC Sasa
9 AUT GUTENSOHN Katharina
10 CAN POLESCHUK Danielle
11 SWE HOLMLUND Anna
12 SUI MUELLER Katrin
13 FRA JOSSERAND Marion
14 CAN MURRAY Julia
15 NOR KVINLOG GENLID Gro
16 CAN MCIVOR Ashleigh
17 DEN FJELLVANG-SOELLING Sophie
18 AUT LIMBACHER Andrea
19 SWE ILJANS Magdalena
20 GER WOERNER Anna
21 AUT OFNER Katrin
22 SUI STEFFEN Franziska
23 GER ZACHER Heidi
24 NZL GREIG Michelle
25 AUS OWENS Jenny
26 JPN FUKUSHIMA Noriko
27 AUS CREMA Katya
28 NOR BERNTSEN Hedda
29 NOR BRENDENGEN JENSEN Julie
30 RUS LIVINSKAYA Yulia
31 FRA GEORGES Chloe
32 POL RIEMEN Karolina
33 ESP DELGADO Rocio
34 GBR SAUVEY Sarah
35 CAN NEDELCU Ruxandra

Weather forecast is
Quote:
* Heavy Snow
* Max: -1°C
* Min: -3°C
* Wind: NE 3mph

Slightly larger field than the Men's but it still means finish with an OK time and your through.

One GB skier Sarah Sauvey, I have not heard a lot about her so I have included a little Bio.

Quote:

Sauvey was born and brought up in Australia but her parents' English nationality enabled her to switch allegiances to Great Britain a couple of years ago.

She began skiing at the age of three. Her interest in ski cross was stirred at the 2005 University Games, where she fell in love with it.

But in December of that year, she was diagnosed with Coeliac Artery Compression Syndrome, which was crushing her artery against her spine, causing a great deal of pain.

In 2006, she underwent major surgery to correct the problem, and now has a scar the length of her stomach. After spending nine months recovering, she competed in the World Championships in Italy and finished 12th, her best result.

Sauvey has not received any financial help from the sport’s governing body, instead funding her race career by holding down two part-time jobs. She is also studying for a multimedia (business marketing) degree.

Good luck Sarah.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Katharina Gutensohn (Austria) is almost 44 years old Shocked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharina_Gutensohn

Maybe there should be a skier cross event just for grannies Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Julia Murray is the daughter of the late, legendary Dave Murray.

Her Mum's no slouch on skis either.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Acacia,

Thanks for that - you learn something new everyday.

Quote:
Dave Murray (September 9, 1953, in Vancouver, Canada - October 23, 1990) was an alpine ski racer. He was noted for being a member of the Crazy Canucks, the Canadian downhill racers of the late 1970s and early 1980s known for their fearless (and sometimes reckless) racing style. His teammates in the group were Ken Read, Dave Irwin, and Steve Podborski.

As part of the Crazy Canucks, Murray was considered the team mediator.[1] He earned three podium finishes[2] including two second place finishes behind fellow Crazy Canuck Ken Read. In 1979, he was ranked third in the world in downhill, but he never won a World Cup event.[3] At the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, he finished 10th in the downhill.

Murray retired from competitive skiing following the 1982 season.[2] After retiring, he returned to British Columbia and founded the Dave Murray Ski School in 1988. It has since become one of the most renowned ski schools in Canada, attracting visitors from across the nation.[2] The downhill course at Whistler has been named the "Dave Murray course." It hosted World Cup Downhill and Super-G races from 1993-95 and will be used again at the 2010 Winter Olympics; it has been noted as being among the best in the world.[4]

After a battle with skin cancer, Dave Murray died on October 23, 1990; he was 37 years old.[1][4] Murray's daughter, Julia Murray, who was only 22 months old when he died, is a member of Canada's Ski Cross Team, and hopeful Olympian for the 2010 Winter Olympics to be held in February 2010 in Vancouver, British Columbia. His wife, Stephanie Sloan, was a pioneer in freestyle skiing and a world champion.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Murray_(skier)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:

I have a feeling that this "Granny" woulds still leave most of us well behind and be getting the drinks in before we have finished doing our boots up. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And away we go Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shame, Sarah Sauvey did not qualify Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh no, that looked hard on her Right Knee. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Results

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Race hold after the 1st run. Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They're landing flat on a lot of the jumps. Is this typical of women's skicross? Can't be good for the knees!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sad Hadn't realised the the Bristish Olympic association had turned down an invitation for Emily Sarsfield our other British skicross lady to be there. She must be gutted after coming back from that awful knee injury last season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
They're landing flat on a lot of the jumps. Is this typical of women's skicross? Can't be good for the knees!

I think this course shows a boardercross course and a ski cross course are two different things, big air for the boarders - more rolling jumps for speed for the skiers.
The skiers need a run off the start to build a bit of speed up not the wotangs (spelling?) that there is here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I noticed something else from the finish shots. There is a big variance in ski length some are at the chin others are over the head.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pointless without catsuits Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wutang (sp?) - never heard the word a few days ago, my favourite now! The women just don't have the power and strength to ski this course, which the men skiers could manage - some of them can barely get up the wutangs. We were wondering if they slid back down to the dip, would they penguin step back up to the top? Toofy Grin It does seem that they should really have had a separate course for the skiers.
ski holidays
The fresh snow must be slowing the course. Not so pleasant watching the ladies crash Skullie
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, the two fellas on the other sofa seem to be enjoying it.
snow report
lol. It's ok when they get up again, but a couple have looked touch and go.
latest report
The course seems to be slowing up quickly.
ski holidays
Indeed, the poling and skating are evident.
latest report
Final Results

Great Racing Smile
snow report
do you get the feeling the canucks have spent lots and lots of time practising starts into wutangs?

Oh and Ed leigh - comedy gold... "It's all about the start" just after we'd seen Huttary cruise round the course going from last to 1st...
snow conditions
bertie bassett, Yes indeed, I feel there was home advantage on them but it shows the fact that only one made the final that it was good racing.
latest report
I'm not keen on Ed Leigh's commentating - it's often inaccurate and so LOUD! However, he did well to interrupt Graham Bell's interminable, Ancient Mariner-like account of his ACL injury! What was he thinking of, rabbiting on about that in the middle of a race?
snow report
The canadians have been taking skiercross very seriously. I think they were the first real country to plough serious money into it and they went out head-hunting the likes of Chris del Bosco.

Pleased it has paid off for them for the women. Think there was a home advantage for McIvor as she is used to sskiing in that kind of weather, wet snow. Certainly most of those ladies will have skied there before- there are usually world cup events at Cypruss, I remember watching the men there last year.
snow report
I hope the Brit selectors are kicking themselves given that the skier-cross has maxed out on TV coverage rolling eyes
snow report
david@mediacopy,

I agree , I watched the pre olympics interview with her on BBC site yesterday. Both skiers met the qualification requirement, upsets can happen in skier cross, the silver and bronze weren't highly ranked in the world. Think it was very mean not to send them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Congrats to Hedda Berntsen for finishing with the silver. Hedda was also a World Championship bronze medalist in slalom at St. Anton (year? -- '03?). She was the Norwegian telemark and mogul champions as well. Obviously a very versatile athlete. She played football (soccer) at Middlebury College in Vermont and was a star earning all american honors. Also raced in NCAA ski events for Middlebury.
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Well then you'd need one for grandas as well : Martin Fiala (1958)! I do remember when he used to do downhill in the world cup! Hats off to them is all I can say Shocked
ski holidays
Katharina Gutensohn, mother of three, almost 44 years old and her 4th Olympic games just retired.
snow conditions
DB, shame but I would say not unexpected, Well done her for going so long in a exacting sport.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy