Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Ski? Salomon Lord or Dynastar Sultan 85?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Please help me decided on a purchase as I'm procrastinating.
I'm a 38yr old intermediate skier, 6'2" 96kg and looking to be doing 70% on piste and 30% off.

I rented in January Dynastar legend 8000 184cm for a week and found them good on most conditions except ice, but as ever these rentals didn't have much in the way of edges. I also tried out a pair of 177cm Salomon Lords and found them to be pretty similar except on ice (these had fantastic edges).
So I'm thinking about either the Salomon Lord 2009/2010 in 177cm or the Dynastar Sultan 85 in 178cm.

The Salomon's seem to be available a bit cheaper at the moment but I'm just concerned that their build quality isn't as good, with tales of delamination on the 2008/09 model.
Just curious to know what anyones thoughts on this would be?

Thanks Dave
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used both skis in the same sizes and I prefer Salomon Lords (in fact I'm looking for a pair to buy). I'm not a design/industry expert but they just felt more powerful and livelier, along with having better float off-piste. They definitely had better edge hold, but that could well be because they had been sharpened more recently. I'm 6 foot / 75kg so the extra stiffness of the lords shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to know where you're getting lords cheaper than sultans! Are you looking at ski-only price vs ski and binding?

Ed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lords flat seem to be selling for about £300 at the moment and I thought I could pair them with some cheapish bindings and still be about the same price as the dynastars.
In fact where I've seen the two ski's sold side by side (complete with binding) the Dyastar 85's are about £50 more.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 19-02-10 15:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't skied the Lords, although a lot of mates ahd them last season. They're a good allrounder, maybe a tad on the soft side.

I used the Legend 8000's last season, now replaced (warranty issues) with the Sultan 85. The Sultan is stiffer and more powerful than the L8k, and a significantly better ski. It has a good amount of sidecut, and even though it's fatter, carves pistes much better than the L8k. It also floats MUCH better in powder. It may only be 5mm bigger underfoot, but the extra width goes the whole way along the ski, and in particular the tip is much wider. The really excel when conditions aren't perfect - chopped up bumps etc. I love them, and think they're probably the most high performance all mountain skis on the market.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have skied the Lords and liked them. You should also try, if you can the Movement Jams, which I keep banging on about, which I prefer and have a very similar shape/dimension.

I am perhaps similar to you in ability, although smaller and lighter and I have been skiing all season on these mid 80 underfoot skis although I am probably skiing more 60 off 40 on these days. In the last month I have gone back to renting 75-78 mm underfoot again. I felt my on piste carving was going backwards (or at least not forward) on the fatter skis, and although I am more off piste than on I am not out in the back country in 2 feet of fresh powder and hence I have found the narrower skis doing that job more than adequately.

This is completely at odds with what I would have said in December. I did the Warren Smith course and my instructor was telling me get rid off those pistey skis and get yourself some Missions or something similar. Well I have given it a good go and I am back on the 75-78s and loving them.

What I am coming round to is - do you really, really want/need mid 80 underfoots, even piste tweaked Lords?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fifespud wrote:
I have skied the Lords and liked them. You should also try, if you can the Movement Jams, which I keep banging on about, which I prefer and have a very similar shape/dimension.

I hadn't considered the movements as I haven't actually demoed/rented a pair and now it would just add another variable to confuse me.

Fifespud wrote:
What I am coming round to is - do you really, really want/need mid 80 underfoots, even piste tweaked Lords?

An interesting point but i think I probably do, at 96kg and 6'2 I guess I really should get a 184cm ski, so I'd imagine a 177cm in a narrower piste type ski just wouldn't give me enough float on powder.
I'd opt for the shorter length just to make turning in the trees a bit easier.
Now I'm honest enough to admit this may be my poor technique but I'm enjoing the off piste stuff too much to risk a single quiver ski that sinks in the snow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sultan better on piste, Lord better off. Both are very, very good and proper all-mountain skis. Lord won our Ski of the Year last year, and the Sultan nearly won it this year. The Sultan is smoother and the Lord slightly livelier. Blurb here - hang on, I've tried to post a link and Fall-Line's Gear Section has fallen over - anyone else having this problem?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eddd, Did you maybe ski the Sultan 80's? Because the 85's are a lot stiffer than the Lords!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad in essence all of them seem to suggest both ski's are reasonable choices. In the end I pulled the trigger on the Lords as they were cheapest at a bricks and mortar store, now I just have to decide on bindings. Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy