Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski sales in London

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Its getting to that stage in the season i reckon, but does anyone know when the 'end of season sales' will start in the London based stores????

Heading off 20th March and fancy picking up a few bargins, boots and a jacket before i go!!

ANy hints would be great!!

Cheers

James
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnR have a mid-season sale on, about £100 off some rather spiffing E&O kit I noticed last week (just re-kitted myself out so wasn't tempted)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone know why, on the other hand, the business model for ski shops - at least in London - appears to be to run out of stock by mid-season and then not replace it? I would have thought that the sensible way to earn money in retail is to buy stock, then sell it, and if you sell out - that is good news so you buy more stock, then sell it. It never ceases to amaze me that - for what are expensive, premium products which the shops presumably want to sell to you - it is difficult to find the items, let alone the right size once into February. I find it quite baffling
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Simples, I think after half term the vast majority of folk don't go skiing, and hence don't buy much stuff, better to have sold all your stock at a decent profit then have to sell it off during the end of season sales at much less profit....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simples, I am equally baffled that the industry seems so fashion-conscious with styles changing annually when a two or three-year cycle seems reasonable. Consequently, ski manufacturers do not want to produce excess stock that shops might or might not buy (to sell) and they are busy making next year's skis. But, buyers are also scarce after mid-season so no real pressure to restock.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Simples, I think it may be more of the case asbeequin, says
Quote:

Consequently, ski manufacturers do not want to produce excess stock that shops might or might not buy
so it's often that they cannot restock.
The larger retailers have other seasonal product ranges to fill their stores, the smaller independent who is a ski shop the whole year round might be the place to look.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well the ski shops are going to be left with a load of ladies size 10 ski jackets this year as that seems to be the only size in stock. So they've lost out on my money.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oakley in Covent Garden have a sale on at the moment, up to 50% off a lot of stuff. Just picked up a pair of fairly gaudy neon coloured pants for £85.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
a pair of fairly gaudy neon coloured pants for £85

Still sounds expensive for a pair of pants to wear under all the ski clobber... wink

I think the London stores don't have much interest after the peak weeks in Dec/Jan. I was boot shopping last this time last year and the shelves were empty. I don't think the boot product cycle is the same as the ski fashion cycle.

Sounds like bad manufacturing practices to me. If the stock sells out then they should be able to make some more in time to get it in the shops! All the more so if skiing kit is to be marketed as fashionable rather than longer life-cycle practical.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndrewBailey, not when it's all made in China and needs to be shipped.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndrewBailey, I forget I'm not in Australia any more Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know an Irish girl that went to London recently for a pair of full tilt boots, she couldn't get them in stock anywhere. If anyone knows of any about I am on the look out for size 10.5 or 11.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Simples, not sure why you're baffled about it, it's a perfect example of supply and demand. Demand is highest at the start of the season, with stock levels to match, and lowest at the end of the season etc etc. Any excess stock is sold, begrudgingly, at a discount in order to realize at least some revenue, but a perfect season for manufacturers is one where all stock is sold at full price.

Remember the ski equipment and apparel business is a, er, business and not a public service. They will have calculated very carefully, using years of experience, what their revenue and profit margins need to be, and how much kit needs to be sold at a certain price point in order to achieve their targets. Why on earth should they produce kit that will be loss-making for them?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy