Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara with Colletts vs. Selva with Inghams

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recently back from wonderful walking holiday to Selva. Picture Postcard perfect in every way. Holiday was enhanced by eager anticipation of the amazing lift system and the prospects of returning back to ski.

Research leads me to conclude a couple of potential options:
1. Hotel Continental in Selva with Inghams.
or
2. Catered Chalet in Corvara with Colletts.

Likely to go in January - hopefully to avoid February queues.

If we go to Selva the hotel is perfect for the Dantercepies lift up,- but is it just as convenient for getting back at the end of the day?

Alternatively Colletts look great but the problem is arranging own flights to connect with pick ups,- for example Ryanair from Liverpool load fees for bags etc of course but we also take our own boots and skis and suddenly the costs are racking up which is irritating.

any comments or advice on this decision.Convenience of Inghams arrangements against great reputation of Colletts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paul.kin, While I expect that Selva with Inghams would be just fine (I have always been happy with Inghams) I would definitely recommend Chalet Verena with Colletts (do a search on here) if the overall costs come in similar. I can't think where the Continental is in Selva, but while you have great access to Dantercepies you'll have to get there early to avoid the inevitable bunfight - you might not get such massive queues in January but we certainly had to wait 30 mins sometimes ina non-school holiday week in Feb (and when I say bunfight I mean it - there was actualyl a fist fight one day as peolel were shoving to get into the building rolling eyes Shocked ). Chalet Verena is very close to the lifts and it's nearer to such as the Hidden Valley if that's your thing; there were never really any queues to speak of. If you want apres, Selva is much better with more bars around the lift area.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, Thanks for your quick response. I have had great reports of Colletts and I am inclined towards that option.
Basically what we want from the holiday is an early start lots of skiing with a couple of stops at the Rifuggios, a good evening meal, a couple of glasses of wine or beers and a reasonably quiet night ready for more action the next day. Partying is not required and judging from the prices in bars this summer would not be affordable.
What we don't want is too much hassle queueing or having to fight for buses or transfers.
We are happy on most runs including blacks but equally happy for long cruisers as well as short and steep where necessary, but not double blacks! The only other issue is that we are a couple and sometimes you can get overwhelmed in a Chalet if the rest of the guests are a big party who all know each other and have come along as a group.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
paul.kin, When we stayed at Chalet Verena in MArch we were a couple, there were 2 small groups neither of which took over. We were happy to join in at dinner at felt part of the group; we preferred to ski alone and didn't take up the (free) guiding but actually found ourselves in the same places at the same time and it was all fine. Of course you might get different groups but the chalet hosts are excellent in making sure everyone has the holiday they want. The chalet has an honesty bar where everyone gathered before dinner; the dinners were very good with free flowing wine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, That sounds reassuring and I believe that the staff are generally good with Colletts. Did you fly into Venice or Innsbruck? Any views on the travel arrangements?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paul.kin, Flew into Venice (Marco Polo). piece of cake, rep was waiting, everyone got bus within 15 mins of arrival a few yards from the airport door, 3 hrs later got to Chalet having droppped off at arabba first but it doesn't really add much time to the journey. there was also pick up at Treviso airport (so that's another alternative).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, Excellent thanks for clearing up some of our concerns.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had a 2 hour wait at Venice for 1 passenger that was delayed on a flight from Paris!!. (Colletts)

Not a particularly nice transfer, lots of ups,downs and bumps. Great company though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paul.kin, of course Frosty the Snowman's experience could happen to anyone and it doesn't stop him recommnending them
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, there was 44 in our group......bored and getting grumpy(ish) at the thought of this 1 person. Colletts delivered what they said, they warn all passengers that delays are likely on transfers but the quality of service was good. It is not Scott Dunn but then neither do they pretend to be. Good, honest and consistant service. I think companies of that type always beat the biggies on consistant quality.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easy, Corvara with Colletts
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, and for paul.kin's benefit I don't think Chalet Verena is as big as the one you went to, I think there were a maximum of about 30 beds
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to chip in ... we are great fans of Colletts, their staff are first rate, they are well placed in the SkiDolomiti area. Echo the atmosphere in the chalets, lots of nice people (quite the admission from the arch grumpy old git - me-). The transfer up from Venice is quite bendy as soon as you turn off the autostrada, I find taking a 'travelease' chew turns me into a sleepy (non-vomiting) zombi until I get into the chalet bar 3 hours later when a drink or two returns me to normal. Also, never had a call from the owner of Inghams ahead of holidays I have taken with them as Tom Collett has done with me to check all is going as it should. In summary; Colletts every time if you are going to the Dolomites.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian Kenvyn, That is great service indeed! Good for them, although would prefer them to have a spot in Selva!! It is hard to have everything I suppose, alas cant get there this year as have the skiing holidays mapped out for the 2010/2011 season! May give Wayne a go in Selva the season after this if price is right!! wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colletts are great, Inghams not bad either. If you don't mind booking your own flights we are another option : www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy