Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what skis do I buy.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am a corpulent build. 6'2'' tall about 105 kg weight. I am contracting in Luxembourg so I have taken the opportunity to drive to the alps, des vorges every other weekend. I would say I am intermediate to advanced in my control of skis but I am crap at the ski technical stuff. I have no idea what is all means.

Anyway, it would be more cost effective for my GF and I to buy skis. I mainly stay on piste with the occaisional foray off piste and through the trees.

of the many skis I rented this year I tried a pair of Salomon, Orange colour from memory with some sort of plastic or carbon reinforcing part way down the ski on top of it. Rented from a Ski Set, and a pair of Volkl Tiger racer or tigershark, (i think tiger racer SL 170) i can't remember which. Both seemed to encourage me to ski fast and seemed very stable.

But I also have some patella compression on the right knee which i do not want to aggrivate further with excessively heavy gear.

Any idea what i should buy. I honestly find all of the technical stuff quite baffling and I am out of my depth talking about it. I feel pretty ignorant talking to shop staff and I get the feeling some are just bullshitters anyway.

I want a ski I can grow into and improve on, not something I will quickly grow out of.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rumdiary, You have the perfect opportunity to try before you buy. Talk to the ski shop, try a few and buy the ones you like, they'll hopefully knock the rental costs off of the purchase too.

Welcome to snowHeads BTW. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks chap, I have tried a lot of gear. The problem is being objective in your memory of conditions and the fun you had on the gear itself. Its hard not to remember the good days because of the weather, a particularly nice run etc etc rather than the influence of the ski itself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ask the rental shop if they will let you try more than one pair of skis on the same day for one days rental cost, tell them you are thinking of buying. I've done this and tested 4 pairs of skis on the same day. As long as the conditions are good and they won't need to service 4 pairs of skis they are (in my experience) normally OK about doing this. The advantage is that you get to test the different skis in the same conditions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy