Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will there be snow in scotland in early March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We're a bit short of cash this year, so having to restrict our selves to a couple of days in the Pennines and a long weekend in Scotland. We're planning to go up there the first weekend in March.

does anyone know what the snow is usually like at that time in the season. are places likely to be open still? Which resorts generally keep the snow longer?

thanks
Jane
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The greatest snow depths in Scotland are normally in mid March. Since there is normally better weather than earlier, March is also the nicest time to ski there. So yes, everywhere is likely to be open (the high winds that sometimes close lifts are less likely then). Often there is almost as much snow in April.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds promising, thanks.

Any recommendations on resort? Do some hold the snow better than other?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not really, it all depends on the particular weather patters that year. This year so far the East coast (Cairngorm and Glenshee) have had more snow than West (Nevis and Glencoe).

My personal favourite is Nevis (near Fort William) and if you are there for 3 days why not spend one at Glencoe, which is not far away. Glencoe is smaller but quirky and lots of people love it. Nevis has longer and broader pistes and a steep back bowl and adventurous off piste - but for the latter you need someone to guide you since there are cliffs you could fall off (see my TR in the Resorts section). Nevis has the best views of all and the runs are also less hemmed in by snow fences than the others Scottish resorts- particularly Glenshee (these are to collect and retain the snow in the high winds they often have in Scotland.

Cairngorm (otherwise called Aviemore - respectively the mountain and the nearest village) is the premiere resort in the East (and also has plenty of off-piste if you know where to go). Glenshee doesn't have the spectacular views and has generally shorter, narrower runs (but the total area covered is probably similar).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 12-02-10 14:14; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cairngorm has the most snow at the moment - it's been another epic year so far. It also holds on to snow a bit better than the west coast areas as it's less likely to be directly battered by any warm fronts coming in of the atlantic... however, it is still Scotland and many things can affect the snow including very high freezing levels which can thaw the snow quite rapidly. no signs of that happening in the next wee while though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What sort of skiing do you like? If you are an intermediate, piste skier then perhaps Cairngorm might be marginally the best for you, but really if I were you I should play it by ear and go where (and if possible when) the snow and forecast are best near the time.

To give an idea of snow, here are historic average depths of snow week by week at Nevis on upper and lower slopes in cm: (generally the resorts close after the 3rd week April)
......... Dec ............ Jan ............... Feb ................ Mar ................ Apr
Week.. 1. .2. .3. .4. . 1. .2. . 3. . 4. . 1. . 2. . 3. . 4. . 1. . 2. . 3. . 4. . 1. . 2. . 3

Upper. .1. .2. .6. 11. 14. 23. 27. 26. 32. 33. 29.. 30.. 35.. 43. 41. 39.. 33. 27. 18
Lower. .1. .1. .3. .5. . 6. 11. 13. 12. 13. 16. 15.. 13.. 17.. 23. 18. 16.. 13. .9. . 6

However it should be noted that the back usually has more snow than the main skiing on the front and most pistes are in gullies that collect more snow than the figures might suggest. Conversely exposed slopes between them might have less (ie sometimes none). Also these are just averages and different years differ wildly. Obviously, though, it is good to be there when figures are increasing.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 12-02-10 13:56; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say I was an intermediate piste skier, but interested in starting to venture off piste. Most of the time though I prefer cruising blues and reds and looking at the view, as opposed to anything technically challenging.

We can't really be flexible on date because of work committments, but happy to leave the decision on where to the week before if this is best. It's good to see that the time we are considering has the highest average snow depth.

Thanks for the information and advice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
janeed, check out http://www.winterhighland.info/ for the most upto date info on the 5 Scottish Resorts. There is plenty of snow at the moment and it looks like it is going so be a fair bit on the hills next week too. Cairngorm has an amazing amount of snow and I will certainly be hoping to still be skiing in May this year. Winterhighland has a public report section which gives great independant reviews of the resorts visited with photos.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just wish I could have been up there myself recently but I ricked my back a couple of weeks ago and I'm just hoping it will be back to normal in time for my next Alpine trip in a couple of weeks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
janeed, not sure! But if someone can give you a reliable prediction on that then maybe he/she can also give me a reliable prediction on whether the GBP will rise or fall against the € and the $ over the next two months. That'd be great cos then I can make a fortune and retire.
Thanks!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
janeed, yes (tempting fate but ...). There is a massive amount of snow on Cairngorm at the moment and it's drifted very deeply in all the right places and well consolidated. Even with a couple of savage mega thaws, there will still be plenty of skiable cover there in March.

Might be blocked roads, whiteouts, surface like concrete, hurricane force wind blowing you up the mountain or a slush-tastic gloop mind you, but I think there will be skiable cover. Laughing

I would be pretty surprised if there's not still skiing at the May day weekend this year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
March is about as snowsure a month as you get in Scotland but other than Cairngorm, the other ski centres will close in April through lack of customers rather than lack of snow even though May skiing would be a delight anywhere with the sunshine and wamth of Scotland's most reliable summer month.

This was Cairngorm on May day 2008 ...
http://youtube.com/v/Lm-XEZCEbo4 ... lots of places to play on the upper mountain and a real party atmosphere.
This was the cover about 2 weeks earlier though with full cover & skiing back to the car ...
http://youtube.com/v/sn8Spg2h8v8 ... before warm rain washed most of it away.

I think brian's right about 2010 though, if Cairngorm isn't open until early May this year, there'll be no ice left in Antarctica either. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moffatross, I just get a general page with that first youtube.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, thanks for letting me know & now fixed. The original music I'd put to the video was 'claimed' by WMG so the video was 'banned'. Now substituted with some muzak from the youtube audio replace catalogue.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moffatross, nice vids.

Without trying to hijack the thread - how do you London/SE based chaps get up to Scotland? I quite fancy a trip, but the thought if driving all that way puts me off .... and the prices of last minute train tickets, also puts me off!
latest report
I usually drive from London NW5 (about 9 hours, plus stops) but have also flown with easyJet to Glasgow (about £50 each way) and hired a car (or once been picked up by a skiing friend).
The problem with flying and hiring is the car has to be returned too early to ski most of the afternoon. The overnight train also arrives in Fort William after the start of skiing.
I have, however, skied on my last day till 5pm and driven back after. I arrived home about 2am but it was do-able.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy