Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used Esprit outside of school holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm thinking about taking my eldest (7 years) on a 1 adult 1 child deal with Esprit outside of the school holidays - it would be her first time and, while I'm sure she will love skiing, it would be great if there were other kids her age in the group so that she has someone to hang out with.

Is it just pre-schoolers in the chalets during term time? I've nothing against pre-schoolers (still got a couple!) but my daughter wouldn't have too much in common with them.

I'm new to the Snowheads board, so I hope that this hasn't been asked a million times already.

Tom
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cannot answer your question directly but when I booked with Esprit they were happy to tell me the ages of the kids already booked into the chalets I was looking at, so I could match my kids up with the most appropriate group
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomj, I was in Kaprun with Esprit a couple of weeks ago.

There were a few school aged kids - 2x5, 2x6 and a 9 IIRC.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tomj, I went last week and there were hoards of 5-8 year olds with Esprit. Ditto last year for the same week.

Irresponsible parenting is alive and well. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For the avoidance of doubt, my 6 and 7 year olds were amongst the hoards with irresponsible parents - and proud of it. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys

Irresponsible parenting would be a slavish adherence on the primary school term times (and I'm a governor!);

I take it you guys rate Kaprun with Esprit? there seem to be some 1-1 deals in the Sonnenalp chalet, although some dire reviews on TripAdvisor are a bit of a worry. I was quite interested to give Austria a try for a change as I've mainly been boarding in the 3 Valleys.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never been to Kaprun with Esprit, but I rate Esprit, and have happy memories of learning to ski in Kaprun some time in the late Jurassic period.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tomj, I've taken the eldest Timberpup ( now 6 ) twice with Esprit outside of the holidays and both times there were loads of kids of all ages around. As a family, we were in Kaprun in August and although the accommodation is great, I would suggest it's not the most convienient for skiing with a child if you know what I mean wink . I'm happy to advise on some much more convienient resorts if you want to PM me ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tomj, i have taken the kids outside of school hols as well. There should be other kids of similar age there. I am a school governor as well. Just stare at the head teacher with the "i am on the finance committe and you need me to approve the budget look"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are taking a six year old and a 4 year old out of school on the 7th March. I went the same time 2 years ago and there were loads of kids. If the tour operators were not so greedy and bumped the prices up by 40% during half term then you might have an issue. My school is Ok with it but at the worst a £200 fine is cheaper than the 1.5K premium to take the whole family within term time!

I too have a bit of a concern as my six year old boy will be hooked up with my friends son who is 5 in ski lessons in the morning and snow club in the afternoon. My 4 year old daughter will be on her own as her ski lesson is in the afternoon. They do the younger kids in the afternoon as it is warmer, I really wanted them to be together but they would not budge on this. I am concerned she will not know anyone and will start to resist going and it will become stressful to leave her. Add to that my mate is saying he will probably take his son out of the snow club in the afternoon to help him learn to ski (he will learn what a bad move that is after 2 days Wink ) and I could potentially end up with two unhappy kids and no boarding for me!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomj, Kaprun with Esprit was excellent. We stayed in the Mara, not the Sonnenalp, but when we went up there it looked fine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chrisb wrote:
tomj, i have taken the kids outside of school hols as well. There should be other kids of similar age there. I am a school governor as well. Just stare at the head teacher with the "i am on the finance committe and you need me to approve the budget look"

Very Happy The Headmistress is pretty scary (and has a penchant for dressing up) but I *am* on the finance committee and I *am* a committed parent governor. I'm just a bit *more* committed to the mountains this year as haven't been for the last two.

Tom
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timberwolf,

Hi! I'm all up for recommendations. I've mainly boarded and skied in France - 3 Valleys, Cham, Alpe d'Huez. My main criteria is that Anna should have some other 7 year olds (or thereabouts, she's not too fussy) to play with. If she's in good company, she'll have a blast - and I'll get to go and have a blast.

Second criteria is availability, without paying through the nose. Fairly flexible on dates, which helps

Then comes accessibility. I've been spoiled by mainly ski in, ski out places (except Cham of course) and I reckon that even a short bus ride would be a pain. But if its all thats available...

Tom
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomj,

Agree with Daddy LouLou (hi Gareth)

Sonnenalp will be absolutely fine - and teh Esprit staff in childcare and chalet and chef staff are great - take teh bargains if they are there. Ignore the reviews the quality is fine and the value fm is unbeatable with kids, and teh child care is excellent

Last 3 years in Kaprun with them have always had school age kids so no worries there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was in the Sonnenalp in the summer (sadly not included in next summer's programme), was nice, wouldn't hesitate to go. There some good deals in Selva too i noticed. I was in Selva with Esprit out of hols a few years ago, plenty of school age kids (including one of mine, shocking).

Off to Selva wirth Esprit at Easter, they are a great company.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy