Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What kit to hire for a competent teenager

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've booked another week skiing (feeling quite decadent and naughty but with jobs looking perilous we decided what the hell). My 13 year old is now a competent parallel piste skier & this will be her 6th week of skiing. I'm trying to decide whether to just hire the bog standard basic kit for her or go for something slightly better.

She weighs about 8 stone and is 5'4" tall. Anybody got any useful tips? There's only about a £10 price difference so it isn't really about cost, rather more about getting the right kit for her. She is growing in confidence with every trip and the last thing I want to do is get her something that puts her back.

Can't you tell I know nothing about equipment?

help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowlamb, for £10 extra get her the premium skis (and boots assuming she doesn't have her own). It'll help her confidence if nothing else. Little Angel snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, for the money I'd say its worth going for the premium kit, my 10 and 14 year olds would certainly want that and then also no excuses about things not going right because you hired the cheap kit for her!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowlamb, Got my daughter better skies 2 years ago and has made a huge difference to her skiing. Can't keep up with her now!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowlamb, Another thought but how about buying her her own kit? If she's done 6 weeks already it looks like she's got the bug. She may go with the school as well as with your family so may manage a couple of trips a year for the next few years. Having her own (properly fitted) boots, if she's finished growing' would be a big plus, and the cost of buying a decent set of skis will be offset by the reduction in hire costs. If you make them a Birthday or Christmas present you are actually giving her something that will save you money! wink snowHead

(We have four (fully grown) teenagers, all have their own skis/boards and boots. I reckon it has saved us hundreds of pounds over the last few years, as well as making them very happy snowHead )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowlamb, twin tips. My 12 year has skied around 5-6 weeks and just bought twin tips a few weeks back - absolutely loves them
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would go with boabski, the twintips are a great idea Smile my two love them.

and buying her a set of her own boots Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Axsman wrote:
snowlamb, Another thought but how about buying her her own kit? If she's done 6 weeks already it looks like she's got the bug. She may go with the school as well as with your family so may manage a couple of trips a year for the next few years. Having her own (properly fitted) boots, if she's finished growing' would be a big plus, and the cost of buying a decent set of skis will be offset by the reduction in hire costs. If you make them a Birthday or Christmas present you are actually giving her something that will save you money! wink snowHead

snowHead )

She'd love her own skis & boots...so would my 10 year old boy....but..as they're both still growing like weeds (she's on her 3rd set of school trousers this academic year I swear that sometimes I can see her growing in front of me) it ain't going to be happening anytime soon.

Have gone for premiuim whizzy skis for them both though...so no chance of the adults keeping up this trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowlamb wrote:
...so no chance of the adults keeping up this trip.

Laughing You got that right! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went basic for our last trip as I'm a beginner, the OH went for the more advanced option. I reckon it's worth paying the extra just for the weight saving, her skis we so much easier to lug about than mine Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="snowlamb"]
Axsman wrote:
snowlamb,

Have gone for premiuim whizzy skis for them both though...so no chance of the adults keeping up this trip.

Yup, less time on skis than me and I have all on to keep up with my 10 year old daughter! Seen somewhere on here a rule of thumb that to ski as well as your kids ski 3x as often and that sounds about right to me!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davkt, Tried it, they still leave me well behind Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My daughter says that she'll spend an afternoon or two skiing slowly with mummy.......but please don't expect it all week.

What can i say? I was the one who wanted her to learn.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LOL, biggest wipeout of our entire group on holiday (with the possible exception of new snowboarder Zac who caught a front edge) was my 10 year old snowHead daughter all because I overtook her!
End of the week, 2.5km run so the instructor said free ski fast or slow as you want so long as you are in control, fast ones wait for everyone else halfway down. So of course the better kids in the group (age 10 to 14) decided it was time for their own ski cross style race. Fast schuss on a nice red run to pick enough speed for a flat section, my weight meant I picked up a bit more speed than the kids and passed them, last one I passed was Emily busy perfecting her racing tuck! Just as it flattened off Em came tanking past me again and then tried to show off by getting some air over some of the lumps and bumps I was trying my hardest to absorb. Got the landing a bit wrong and by the time she came to stop I don't think any 1 of her, 2 skis and 2 poles were within 10m of any other one of those!
Good job kids bounce, first concern I hadn't taken a photo of the crash, second that the tiger ears were still stuck to her helmet and third getting her kit back together to make sure she wasn't last to the meet up point!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy